Ford New Holland 1920 starting issue

/ Ford New Holland 1920 starting issue #1  

RobertBrown

Elite Member
Tractor
Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920
I have an intermittent starting issue with this machine as of late. I hoping for some help in solving this problem, maybe someone has tracked it down before.
The problems started weekend before last when the tractor would not start, nothing would turn or even click in. I put my meter on the battery and there was only 10 vdc so I removed it and put it on the 10 amp charger for an hour and then on the 2 amp for about 26 hours. The voltage was up to 12.5 but the charger indicated it was not fully charged, looking at the LED lights on the trickle charger. I put the battery in the tractor and could not get the machine to crank, nothing. I did not have time to work on it, so the next day I read the voltage....10.5 vdc....bad battery.
Took the battery to NAPA and had them test it and it was toast, so I replaced it. The battery was in the tractor when I bought it so I don't know how old it was but I owned the tractor for over 5 years. I also replaced the ground strap with a new ground cable as the old strap was really corroded.

The new battery started the tractor fine....once. Pulled the machine out of the garage and put the mower on it, shut it off and went back about an hour later and nothing. I removed the neutral switch on the column shifter and tested it. It tested OK but I had my doubts.
I thought I had a bad neutral switch as I could get the tractor to start but only after I played with the shifter while holding the key.
Now I can't get anything to turn or even click no matter how I move things, but I still have continuity through the switch when the tractor is in neutral.
I have checked both neutral safety switches and they are both functional or have continuity.
I'm thinking I need to test the starter solenoid.
What is the best way to test this conclusively?

Thanks for your help.

/ Ford New Holland 1920 starting issue #2  
I've always tested solenoids first by making sure there is 12+ volts being supplied to the signal wire (smallest of the three terminals on solenoid) by the keyswitch. If you suspect key switch trouble, make a double ended jumper wire with alligator clips to supply start signal direct from battery. If it doesn't start, use a set of heavy gauge jumper cables to jump the two big lugs on the solenoid. If it starts, then you have a bad solenoid. Be certain that you are delivering 12+ VDC to the start circuit terminal. If it starts be sure to yank the jumper from the start terminal in case the starter bendix tries to stay engaged.

/ Ford New Holland 1920 starting issue
Thanks ......sounds like good advice
I'll give that a try.
The solenoid is hard to get to, it is in between the starter and the engine but I have the schematic.
Hope fully I can get to it without removing

/ Ford New Holland 1920 starting issue #4  
double check that battery voltage again.. then check power to the solenoid when in start position. a test lamp will likely work better than a meter.

if the lamp comes on in start, check voltage. if 12v.. then look at solenoid or starter.

double check that battery voltage again.. then check power to the solenoid when in start position. a test lamp will likely work better than a meter.

if the lamp comes on in start, check voltage. if 12v.. then look at solenoid or starter.
Thanks
I'll try that tonight and let you know how it works.:thumbsup:

I was unable to spend a lot of time on this tonight, but I wanted to check batt voltage at the very least.
The battery has 12.66vdc So I don't think I have a draw on it.
I did disconnect a reletively large(12 ga.) red wire from the starter. I put the neg. Lead to the battery (ground) and tested the red wire as I turned the key.....no voltage.
I'm not sure what this wire is for but based on it's size and color.....I think it's the one.

/ Ford New Holland 1920 starting issue #7  
Traced it back to see where it goes

/ Ford New Holland 1920 starting issue #8  
View attachment New Holland 1920 starter solenoid shunt.pdf

My go-to method for starting my 1920 is to 1) unscrew the starter protective sheet metal strip nearest the seat, then rotate strip up and out of way for access to starter; 2) unplug starter solenoid spade connector and pull back rubber boot from starter battery connection; 3) make sure tractor is in neutral; 4) use 2 long screw drivers to shunt between the starter battery connection and solenoid. If your tractor starts every time like mine, the problem lies in the tractor wiring and safeties which are extremely difficult to troubleshoot. One could also permanently mount and wire a push button to bypass the tractor wiring and shunt-start the tractor. I have lost patience with electrical wiring issues and just am extremely careful when I shunt-start to make sure the tractor is in neutral because it will run over you if not.

Attachments

• Tractor 1920 starter.jpg
    Tractor 1920 starter.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 356
   / Ford New Holland 1920 starting issue #9  
if it is a tracgor wireing issue.. it is too easy to just bypass and scab wires ont he outside of the loom and start it safely vs screwdrivering it. and hoping the clutch ain't stuck!

I had some time tonight to trace the wire.....
battery voltage is 12.67vdc
The large red wire traces back to the ignition switch. I don't think the clutch is stuck as I pushed the tractor in the garage. Also there is no sound coming from the starter coil....
I'm thinking the ignition switch should be investigated or otherwise tested.
I need to get this fixed tomorrow as the grass is getting high. We get rain everyday here and I'm have a lot of work as of late.
It's nice because everything is very green and the temperatures are bearable.