Ford Ranger is Officially Back

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #2  
If I should be able to afford the new 4-door Ranger, that will likely be the next vehicle I'd want, but I'm not really expecting to be able to afford it.:laughing:

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #3  
Ford said they quit making them because no one wanted one. That's hard to believe. Try buying a used one. Every one does not need a full size PU. I have owned several Rangers over the years. If I need a bigger truck I use my F450. But for every day use, checking out job site, picking up parts, etc. a ranger is hard to beat. I have a 2000 one 4x4 and I keep it garaged and try not to drive it any more than I have to. Used ones are hard to find and top dollar. I have had F150 also and it was not big enough for to haul my tractor or heavy duty work and too big for just driving back and forth to work and checking out a job site. One of the handiest vehicles I have (that's why I parked my Ranger) is a little Ford Transit connect. Wife has a Ford Escape but we love the Transit, she uses it to go to the grocery store, I drive it to work, we use it when we go to flea markets, Room to toss whatever tools I need for a job. Even took our vacation in it. Toss all the gear we need, blankets, extra clothes, ice chest, etc. Not hard to get in and out of, small engine, good gas mileage. I can lay the seat back and take a snooze while goes to Wal Mart. I don't have as much in all my vehicles as a new Ranger will cost. Like Bird, I would love to have one but probably will be a long time before I can afford even a used one.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #4  
Ford killed the Ranger for the same reason Dodge killed the Dakota. Not enough buyers for a smaller truck that didn't look much different from the full size truck and cost almost as much. GM figured out you can market a different looking small truck (Colorado) to people who don't really need a truck (and pick up some sales from people who do need a truck).

I think Ford gets it now because the new Ranger retains a "Ford look" but isn't too similar to the F-150. I think there is a good future for the Ranger. I'm very happy with my F150 but if I didn't have a 12 foot wide door in my pole barn I would think twice. It's surprisingly tight to park it in my garage with 9 foot wide doors and weatherstrips.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #5  
If I should be able to afford the new 4-door Ranger, that will likely be the next vehicle I'd want, but I'm not really expecting to be able to afford it.:laughing:

That's exactly what I was thinking.... yet another truck I can't afford.

Ecoboost, 10 speed tranny, turbo, direct inject, hot dog maker.... I just want a stupid/simple truck to throw junk in the back. I'm looking for another 93 Suburban. :laughing:

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #6  
A lot of people that I know drove rangers for years and several still do. I find it hard to believe the statement that people didn't want them. Since they are bringing them back maybe they will consider a diesel for it since they are now putting one in the F150.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #7  
The reason for the Ranger and Dakota demise was because of the Toyota Tacoma. The big 3 just couldn’t compete with that little pickup.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #8  
The reason for the Ranger and Dakota demise was because of the Toyota Tacoma. The big 3 just couldn’t compete with that little pickup.

I have a hard time believing that if they were priced reasonably. People tend to think the Tacoma comes with gold bars in the bed.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #9  
The reason for the Ranger and Dakota demise was because of the Toyota Tacoma. The big 3 just couldn' compete with that little pickup.

You're kidding, right? The tacoma was never a very good truck, the Ranger and Gen 1 & 2 Dakotas ran rings around it. Their own marketing seems to be aimed more at the mud kiddies than anyone who uses a truck to do any work. Agree that the 3rd generation Dakotas didn't sell...even though it was a perfectly capable truck, the styling looked too car-like and was a turn off to many, including myself. Even here in rust country Gen 2 Dakotas and similar vintage Rangers abound, tacomas not so much.

I think Ford just got greedy, and thought they'd convert those Ranger sales into F-series where the profit margin was higher. They were wrong. This was just about the time that the full sized trucks got huge, and not everyone needed or wanted a truck that big.

GM figured out you can market a different looking small truck (Colorado) to people who don't really need a truck (and pick up some sales from people who do need a truck).

I think Ford gets it now because the new Ranger retains a "Ford look" but isn't too similar to the F-150.

Not crazy about the looks of the new Ranger, to me it looks like a Suburu. I am considering the Colorado next time around. I suppose it's too much to ask for a bench seat though...

Not sure what you mean by "people who don't really need a truck". No I don't need something that tow an bulldozer, but my current truck (02 Dakota) definitely gets put to work when need be.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #10  
I remember back in 2001 I took a trip to Chile and notice a lot of S10 Chevrolet's with 4 doors. Always thought that was a great little truck with a 4 door option. Hopefully Ford will do the same with the Ranger.

On an aside I am purchasing my son's old 2006 F150 Xl from him at the end of the month. Going to use it for a daily driver. Cheap and easy on gas for a truck.