Forks For Moving Bush >> Need Ideas

/ Forks For Moving Bush >> Need Ideas #1  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
OK... I have small SCUT and its FEL is about 48 inches wide, I need some ideas on how to make a set of brush forks (probable 4 tines) and able to attach to FEL.... Got some picture to share for inspiration?

Dale

/ Forks For Moving Bush >> Need Ideas #3  
OK... I have small SCUT and its FEL is about 48 inches wide, I need some ideas on how to make a set of brush forks (probable 4 tines) and able to attach to FEL.... Got some picture to share for inspiration?

Dale

This is what I built about 11 years ago and use the brush forks (1/8" thick x 2" x 1" rectangular tube) and the hinged plywood platform almost all summer long (unless I just need to use the bucket).

The metal brush forks bolt into the sides of the bucket with 3 (on each side) 1/4" - 20 grade 8 machine screws tapped into the bucket, and the platform is secured to the forks.

Here are some pictures, let me know if you desire more information.

Also if I were to build them again I think I would use 3/16" thick tubing because I had to straighten a couple of forks getting caught under a tree root while picking up a brush pile.

And I replaced the 3/4" hinged plywood platform once (last year) in 11 years, and the vertical wood riser attached to the face of the bucket keeps brush from falling on the tractor hood.

KC

20200424_153035.jpg 20200424_153048.jpg 20190801_125755.jpg 20190801_125336.jpg

Platform Progress 3 of 3, 9-25-20 .jpg

/ Forks For Moving Bush >> Need Ideas #4  

Dale
I just use the pallet forks that I have for my tractor...

Just two movable forks, that you can move closer together, works really good.

SR

/ Forks For Moving Bush >> Need Ideas #5  
I like the ones made with the Unistruts. Here is a pic from a thread of wooden forks that would work for brush.

Wood Forks.jpg

/ Forks For Moving Bush >> Need Ideas #6  
I tried forks/pallet forks when I first got my M6040. They didn't work well in my situation. "Stuff" kept falling off the forks. I'd never make it to my destination with even half a load. To make it work, I had to hand load the forks. PITA. I got a grapple and never looked back. What a joy....!!!

/ Forks For Moving Bush >> Need Ideas #7  
I tried forks/pallet forks when I first got my M6040. They didn't work well in my situation. "Stuff" kept falling off the forks. I'd never make it to my destination with even half a load. To make it work, I had to hand load the forks. PITA. I got a grapple and never looked back. What a joy....!!!
I'm not sure what was the problem with yours, I've had zero problems with that.

I have numerous pictures of my pallet forks working just fine, and I sometimes just throw the brush in a row as I work, then drive along, sliding the forks under, getting a huge pile to move.

SR

/ Forks For Moving Bush >> Need Ideas #8  
I bought a set of Titan Economy forks, but my primary need is hauling brush/debris. I had some scrap 2 1/2" angle iron laying around and made some bolt on teeth to fill the gap.

Debris Forls welded.jpg

Debris Forks mounted close.jpg

/ Forks For Moving Bush >> Need Ideas #9  
i'm siding with the grapple too but before i got the grapple for my current tractor, and also on my old tractor that didn't have any sort of quick attach or front hydraulics i used makeshift forks for brush. it worked, but uneven ground and loads that weren't centered could cause the brush to slide off on occasion. if i were going to go with forks for brush now - be it pallet forks or PT2x6 forks - i'd make a manual grapple arm of some sort in the center that you could pin up, but easily drop down over the load and let gravity help it hold the brush in place.

/ Forks For Moving Bush >> Need Ideas #10  
I'm not sure what was the problem with yours, I've had zero problems with that.

I have numerous pictures of my pallet forks working just fine, and I sometimes just throw the brush in a row as I work, then drive along, sliding the forks under, getting a huge pile to move.

SR

Don’t you have a thumb on your forks?