Forty Grand? For a Stove?

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #61  
Only way I'd spend that much on a fridge is if it's big enough to park myself in it on a nice lawn chair .....

....:unsure: actually having been party to taking apart/cutting up the paneling from a discarded walk-in fridge/freezer before I think it might actually be cheaper to make a walk-in fridge for less than $10k (even at the currently inflated lumber prices)....

oh and some of those panels that were taken apart? a few of them were modified and repurposed into making a dog house ....which made for one happy pup (and a few happy cats that'd pile in with him) at my parent's place for many Minnesota winters. ...actually stayed pretty cool for him during the summers too.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #62  
Cheap for a Sub Zero. Must be the no frills economy model. Very familiar with Sub Zero, used to go there weekly with coated steel coils from LTV Cleveland. Nice folks, have a nice cafeteria too. Always had my lunch there.

No, I cannot afford one but nice eye candy anyway. I see Nancy Pelosi has one, big double door with the works on top, in brushed stainless.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #63  
Onto the original thread topic. Wifey and I went and looked at a house today, $20,000 Thermador range and a $10,000 Sub Zero fridge.... o_O
That would make for some expensive scrambled eggs and frozen pizza here. I hope they are built to last.

I had a five year old side by side fridge die last year. The experienced independent repairman said most consumer grades last about 7-8 years now. A new compressor would have been $600, so back to Lowe’s I went.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #64  
I just ordered an American made electric range. It’s an induction stove and convection oven. When we researched them last year they were in stock. Checked prices again 2 months ago as we were getting close to purchasing and they were now falling behind on production with a 4 week ETA. Finally decided to pull the trigger this week and the new ETA is 13 weeks. People are flush with money and they can’t build appliances fast enough. We are living in crazy times.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #65  
I just ordered an American made electric range. It’s an induction stove and convection oven. When we researched them last year they were in stock. Checked prices again 2 months ago as we were getting close to purchasing and they were now falling behind on production with a 4 week ETA. Finally decided to pull the trigger this week and the new ETA is 13 weeks. People are flush with money and they can’t build appliances fast enough. We are living in crazy times.
We are looking at replacing our stove and oven. I'm curious what you chose and why.

I am assuming it wasn't $40 grand...

All the best, Peter

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #66  
We are looking at replacing our stove and oven. I'm curious what you chose and why.

I am assuming it wasn't $40 grand...

All the best, Peter
We chose Viking. Ours is 30" so nothing big, and they make at least a couple series in that size.
Our old range is Maytag, and we were looking at Maytag and Kitchenaid (both built by Whirlpool), but the new models are no where near the quality (materials, fit, finish) of our 17 year old Maytag unless you went with the induction/convection and then the prices approached the better brands. Then my wife started looking at the better brands and settled on Wolf and Viking. She ultimately decided on Viking after seeing both in person and wanting less electronics and no digital screen. Only Viking offers the old school, knobs only, design. The induction top added quite a bit to the cost, and we went with the mid series model which was another big bump in price. When my wife initially told me the prices I flipped. She calmly reminded my of the several large purchases I made recently, including upgrading my old BCS tractor and tiller, and a new Woods rotary cutter last year. "What color do you want?" was my reply. I noticed the Viking we are getting weighs approximately 50% more than the Kitchenaid with similar features, which says a lot for the gauge of metals throughout. We're also getting 'an over the range', exhaust hood convection microwave that Viking includes for "free" (yeah, marketing gimmick but it worked). They're offering several freebee options based on purchase models, but I think they run these all the time. Cooking/baking is one of my wife's favorite hobbies. She bakes a couple times a week, cooks all meals daily, and we rarely eat any meals not prepared at home. I'd guess we eat restaurant food less than 10 meals per year, and that includes pizza and fast food. Spending money on a range is an easy decision for us from that perspective.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #67  
I like eating out too much.

/ Forty Grand? For a Stove? #69  
Now you understand why transferring 40k to a stove is not really a bad idea. I would rather have a stove, that I may or may not use, than a pile of fiat money right now.

People that just hold cash are really in for a surprise...
I had a small inheritance a while back. Looking around for an investment, I spent it on something I could use, a 36 x 60 shop with a 200 amp electrical service, an office, bathroom, storage unit, and two bays big enough to get heavy equipment inside. I could have bought stocks and worried about a crash. Instead, I invested in something I can use every day. It beats hell out of sitting on a pile of paper.

The way building materials have gone up in the last three years, I think I got a good deal.