Foton 404 questions.. PTO and clutch

/ Foton 404 questions.. PTO and clutch #1  

Wa11banger

Gold Member
Tractor
Foton FT404 w/Koyker 160 FEL and a Dig-It Towable Backhoe
Hey there fellow TBN Chinese tractor owners,

It's been a long time since I posted.. I have been wearing this thing out learning how to use it and what best to use it for and hey may have even come up with some crazy ways to use it.. BTW they excel at putting out field fires :eek: Since my last post I finally acquired some land to use my tractor on which is a good thing it sure was tearing up the backyard playing with it. :D

I have put near 100 hours on it since buying the land and had a few questions.. Some of which I may have not paid attention to prior to being more familiar with the machine but wanted to ask the crowd what they thought.

First PTO.
All is still working as it should but I think this symptom is new. When I first bought it with 600 hours on it I swore the PTO was quiet and rarely if ever moved when it was not in gear. If it did move it was pretty easy to stop with your shoe.. I think! Now although it is still working fabulously for my bushhog I think something may be different. First I have punished this little bush hog and subsequently the PTO while cleaning up this property. It has found tire after tire buried in 8ft weeds, grass, and trees. An uncountable number of large rocks, and bricks. and the occasional what the heck was that shooting out of there item. But it is why I bought a cheap used one because I had no idea what was out there or under all that tall stuff. Apparently this guy used the property as a dump site..

I digress BACK TO THE PTO.. the PTO now seems to "whir" even when not in gear. When I reach down to stop it, it seems to stop easy enough but it keeps on whirring moving or not and feels much like a ratchet being turned the wrong way.. with only slight resistance. Is there a one way in there? I thought this was straight gears and no funny stuff in between.

Next Clutch.
Have the manual but wanted an education. Again this is where I am not sure that I ever noticed and only now notice due to more time on the tractor or has gotten this way with use.
No problem shifting gears except occasionally (usually that's when I have forgotten the throttle lock engaged). But, it seems to release at the top of the pedal, and it has absolutely no linkage slack. That is where I need the education I believe I am reading my manual right and it should have a little slack in it.. Or is that to engagement looking through the inspection hole? Currently have proven I cant slip it, it will churn all 4 tires if I butt up against a big tree and hasn't failed to climb the hills on the property and no high revs at anytime.

As always guys thanks for any help
Rick

/ Foton 404 questions.. PTO and clutch #2  
Hey there fellow TBN Chinese tractor owners,

It's been a long time since I posted.. I have been wearing this thing out learning how to use it and what best to use it for and hey may have even come up with some crazy ways to use it.. BTW they excel at putting out field fires :eek: Since my last post I finally acquired some land to use my tractor on which is a good thing it sure was tearing up the backyard playing with it. :D

I have put near 100 hours on it since buying the land and had a few questions.. Some of which I may have not paid attention to prior to being more familiar with the machine but wanted to ask the crowd what they thought.

First PTO.
All is still working as it should but I think this symptom is new. When I first bought it with 600 hours on it I swore the PTO was quiet and rarely if ever moved when it was not in gear. If it did move it was pretty easy to stop with your shoe.. I think! Now although it is still working fabulously for my bushhog I think something may be different. First I have punished this little bush hog and subsequently the PTO while cleaning up this property. It has found tire after tire buried in 8ft weeds, grass, and trees. An uncountable number of large rocks, and bricks. and the occasional what the heck was that shooting out of there item. But it is why I bought a cheap used one because I had no idea what was out there or under all that tall stuff. Apparently this guy used the property as a dump site..

I digress BACK TO THE PTO.. the PTO now seems to "whir" even when not in gear. When I reach down to stop it, it seems to stop easy enough but it keeps on whirring moving or not and feels much like a ratchet being turned the wrong way.. with only slight resistance. Is there a one way in there? I thought this was straight gears and no funny stuff in between.

Next Clutch.
Have the manual but wanted an education. Again this is where I am not sure that I ever noticed and only now notice due to more time on the tractor or has gotten this way with use.
No problem shifting gears except occasionally (usually that's when I have forgotten the throttle lock engaged). But, it seems to release at the top of the pedal, and it has absolutely no linkage slack. That is where I need the education I believe I am reading my manual right and it should have a little slack in it.. Or is that to engagement looking through the inspection hole? Currently have proven I cant slip it, it will churn all 4 tires if I butt up against a big tree and hasn't failed to climb the hills on the property and no high revs at anytime.

As always guys thanks for any help
Rick

According to my official video the clutch pedal has a 15 to 20mm of slack before engagement.

/ Foton 404 questions.. PTO and clutch
Thanks for the quick reply Zonta appreciate it. I will reset the engagement setting on the pedal and go from there.. I just also thought that somewhere in the travels similar to a car is where the clutch would engage and disengage vs right at the end of travel on top.

Thanks again
Rick

Anyone have an idea on the pto? Will be back at the property this weekend and will post what I find on the clutch adjuatment

/ Foton 404 questions.. PTO and clutch #5  
On my 354, there are two ways to disengage the PTO. On my right heel is a lever, up is on and down is off. On my left hand is a speed control, forward is fast, backward is slow and middle is off.

If I disengage the PTO using the speed lever the PTO shaft will rotate if there is no implement attached, any resistance will stop it. If I disengage using the foot lever it doesn't. I think this is due to friction in the gearbox. I think it is normal.

/ Foton 404 questions.. PTO and clutch #6  
On my 354, there are two ways to disengage the PTO. On my right heel is a lever, up is on and down is off. On my left hand is a speed control, forward is fast, backward is slow and middle is off.

If I disengage the PTO using the speed lever the PTO shaft will rotate if there is no implement attached, any resistance will stop it. If I disengage using the foot lever it doesn't. I think this is due to friction in the gearbox. I think it is normal.

This is nothing like the FT404. It has a PTO selector high/ neutral / Low on the left of the driver. I personally don't think you need worry about the pto as long as you can stop it easily by hand. Have you changed the oil in the gearbox if so what oil did you put in?
Also if you are finding all this rubbish buried in the grass have you tried putting your FEL down on the float function could save you a lot of problems?

/ Foton 404 questions.. PTO and clutch #7  
This is nothing like the FT404. It has a PTO selector high/ neutral / Low on the left of the driver.

?? I wrote "On my left hand is a speed control, forward is fast, backward is slow and middle is off." By "fast" I mean "high," by "slow" I mean "low" and by "off" I mean "neutral." I guess "on my left hand" is only the same as "on the left of the driver" when I'm driving, and I've never driven a 404, so you've got a point there...

Agree that leading with the bucket is a good early warning system for trash. I don't float it, I put it about six inches above the ground.

/ Foton 404 questions.. PTO and clutch #8  
?? I wrote "On my left hand is a speed control, forward is fast, backward is slow and middle is off." By "fast" I mean "high," by "slow" I mean "low" and by "off" I mean "neutral." I guess "on my left hand" is only the same as "on the left of the driver" when I'm driving, and I've never driven a 404, so you've got a point there...

Agree that leading with the bucket is a good early warning system for trash. I don't float it, I put it about six inches above the ground.

Having reread my reply I can now see how it could be taken as abrupt or terse. It was in no way meant that way. I have followed many threads were you have given great advice to other users. If my reply caused any offense I am sorry, I sure did not mean it that way.

Ok proper clutch pedal free play adjustment made. However, the clutch still engages/disengages at the very top of the pedal. Minus new free play that is. Clutch isnt slipping but reallyhas no feather to it. Can still break all 4 tires loose if i butt up to an immovable object.

Thanks for all the feedback on the the pto. It is operating as advertised, just a little noisy with that whirring.I did change out the fluid when I first got it and used 303 fluid as the replacement. That was almost a hundred hours ago. I will just keep tabs on it for any changes.

Noone around here will work on it and im fairly mechanically inclined so I may take on that clutch this winter..in between deer hunts for sure :)

/ Foton 404 questions.. PTO and clutch #10  
Ok proper clutch pedal free play adjustment made. However, the clutch still engages/disengages at the very top of the pedal. Minus new free play that is. Clutch isnt slipping but reallyhas no feather to it. Can still break all 4 tires loose if i butt up to an immovable object.

Thanks for all the feedback on the the pto. It is operating as advertised, just a little noisy with that whirring.I did change out the fluid when I first got it and used 303 fluid as the replacement. That was almost a hundred hours ago. I will just keep tabs on it for any changes.

Noone around here will work on it and im fairly mechanically inclined so I may take on that clutch this winter..in between deer hunts for sure :)

Sorry I am not sure what 303 oil is. Recommended oil for gearbox/hydraulics/power steering according to the manual is UTF.