Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab

/ Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
Friend of mine has a B2650 with the cab. It's been sort of hot around here, up in the low 90's recently with high humidity. He had been cutting the lawn during the day - and parked the tractor. Overnight it cooled down quite a bit - into the low 50's. He looks out the next morning - and it looks like the tractor has dew all over the windshield - but it never burns off. So he goes out to see what's up - and sees that the windshield is all fractured (like safety glass will do).

tractor_windshield-fractured_zpsqz8qxozs.jpg

Has anybody seen this before? He's pretty sure nothing hit the glass.

I did some searching on the Kubota online parts site- and there's two part numbers listed for the windshield glass. Wondering if there was a design change because there was some sort of issue found.....

He said he's contacted the dealer and it's going to be covered under the warranty - which would seem to indicate that maybe this was an issue that has been seen before.

Last edited:
   / Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab #2  
Same thing happened to the neighbors haybine.

/ Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab #3  
my first reaction....any kids around with BB guns / pellet guns, to kids throwing rocks?
my second reaction... have seen glass start with a little tiny crack. and then quickly expand, and with just a little pressure shatter up.

/ Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab #4  
I had that happen in my old Mack R Model on the highway one winter. The side window glass exploded from the temp change.

How much is the glass worth in those B cabs??

This is exactly why I don't want to trade in my B2620. I'd rather dress warmer when snowblowing. I have so many trees and limbs in my yard where I mow, I keep having visions of busting glass on a cab.

/ Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab #5  
I can't imagine the cab is sealed up so well that temperature change would cause something like that but anything is possible I suppose. If there were an impact he should be able to see the point of impact with the glass still in that condition. It may take a while to find, like where's waldo.....

/ Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab #6  
I've seen patio doors break like that in the sun. Usually, when it is struck by an object, you will clearly see a chunk missing, and the break will radiate out from the point of impact. If it was struck and still made that pattern, there will likely be a chip missing from the back somewhere. Run a leather gloved hand over it carefully.

/ Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab #7  
Hopefully that is a one-off situation.

/ Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab #8  
I've heard of the back wimdows blowing out of certain luxury cars--for no apparent reason.

But I have to agree with tk tom...I find it hard to believe it was pressure-related, given the various complaints of dust getting inside the B3030 cabs, allegedly around the pedals.

I've read the '50 series have tighter cabs, but still--I'd sooner think the potential differential, thermal expansion/contraction of the glass vs. the steel window frame/cab (just W.A.Guessing here, btw) would be a more likely suspect, once a foreign object strike has been completely ruled out.

Glad it's under warranty, but curious as to what the Parts and Labor add up to, were it NOT warranty, but "cash work," as the mechanics/technicians like to say.

/ Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab #9  
My 3350 has levers for the pto engage and choice that are open to the outside. I agree, pressure didn't do it. Wracking the cab frame or a pellet of some kind w old be my bet.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Fractured windshield glass on B2650 cab #10  
Improperly tempered glass (or some weird installation problem). That is why they are replacing it under warranty. There might be a bad batch, or just a handful (or even just one bad one that you got). From that photo, it is clearly a manufacturing defect. Stuff happens, even at good suppliers. At least they are standing up and replacing it under warranty and not fighting him on it.