Fred Cain Agri Cutter Question

/ Fred Cain Agri Cutter Question #1  

nwut05

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland T-1510, T 4.75
I am currently looking into buying one of the square Fred Cain Agri Cutter Rotary Mowers. Anyone Have any experience with them? Specifically one of the newer ones, I believe they call them the 100 and 200 series cutters. Difference is the pto slip clutch vs shear pin. Another quick question about them, they make the square deck cutters and the dove tail cutters. Give me some opinions on why one style is better than the other thanks.

Little more info:
I will be running it behind a New Holland t1510, I have owned a Bush Hog RD5 and just sold it because of no stump jumper and was dissapointed in the overall quality of the construction on that model cutter after using it for a year cutting mostly pasture and small brush. I lost a lot of faith in Bush Hog Brand over this particular mower, I do realize that the price and the mower were suited to be competitive with other mowers in it's class but, that's no excuse.

/ Fred Cain Agri Cutter Question #2  
Brother in law has the Fred Cain with shear bolt. The bolt shears everytime if he doesn't put his tractor just about idle when engaging the PTO. He really needs a slip clutch on it. His is the dove tail version like all other mowers. I don't know why they make a square tail version unless it is when you want to shred more(like a mulching mower) but it seems like it would stop up under heavy mowing conditions.

/ Fred Cain Agri Cutter Question
Thank You very much for the information about the shear bolt... I try to start slowly every time with all my pto powers equipment it's a lot easier on the equipment and the tractor. With a bush hog/ or bruch cutter start real slow until the blades extend and they balance out. As for the stopping up part I have a neighbor who has an older square bush hog around 5 or 6 ft and i have ran this machine many times and never stopped it up. The bushhog rd5 i just sold was round back, but part of it was removable and without removing that rear band it just trapped everything under it and i actually felt that was hindering the quality of cut that i got and it would somewhat pile up under it and then just spit it out all at once. And for ground speed with that cutter running at 540 and maybee a tad higher on the tac. It was a long day in the feild in 3 low range max. And all I was cutting was grass and it maybee 2 ft high....maybee.

BUSH HOG RD5,
I am not trying to Bash the Bush Hog brand it's been one of the best on the farms around here and will be for years to come. Just to clarify my dissatisfaction with the RD5 model . There is a rear band on the mower that bolt's onto it. I did remove this band after mowing with it a couple of times. Thats when the structural issues started....With the band removed it leaves the back open about 3 extra inches and allows the grass to exit however, it also allows the corners where the band bolts to at either end exposed with no support. When backing into a field corner if you catch those corners on something example, rock stump, log, heavy wad of grass.....it will bend this corner and roll it under the mower...and thats a pain to fix. And if you aint careful that corner will be in the blade before you know it, it don't take much maybee 4" and it's all over for that corner... I think removing the band is a bad idea it weakens the rear of the mower....

I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE JUST ASKED: DOES ANYBODY OWN OR USE THE FRED CAIN AGRI CUTTER 105? HOW TOUGH ARE THEY? ANY GEARBOX PROBLEMS ETC.... ANY INFO WOULD BE HELPFULL... ALSO ANY DEALERS IN SW VA or NORTHEAST TN....???

Last edited:
   / Fred Cain Agri Cutter Question #4  
We've sold Fred Cain rotary cutters for years and never have any problems. They have a proven, rugged design and the design hasn't changed in over 20 years. We offer free shipping to a business or supporting freight terminal within 1,000 miles of Newton, NC.

/ Fred Cain Agri Cutter Question #5  
I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE JUST ASKED: DOES ANYBODY OWN OR USE THE FRED CAIN AGRI CUTTER 105? HOW TOUGH ARE THEY? ANY GEARBOX PROBLEMS ETC.... ANY INFO WOULD BE HELPFULL... ALSO ANY DEALERS IN SW VA or NORTHEAST TN....???

I'm pretty sure one of the 3 dealers in Abingdon sells Fred Cain. Is there a particular reason you want that brand over any other?

I'm pretty sure one of the 3 dealers in Abingdon sells Fred Cain. Is there a particular reason you want that brand over any other?

I have experience with an older square back Bush Hog Brand Cutter. It is at least 30 years old and been put through the ringer and came out just fine many many times over.. If Bush Hog still built them I wold buy one from them, But Fred Cain is the only company i can find making the square cutters anymore. That and ...I worry about the dove tail versions bending when backing up just as the other cutter did..

Do You know which dealers in Abingdon Va. carry them? I will glady calland price them if I knew which one's to call...Thank's a Bunch

/ Fred Cain Agri Cutter Question #7  
Do You know which dealers in Abingdon Va. carry them? I will glady calland price them if I knew which one's to call...Thank's a Bunch

No but I'll sure find out. Are you sure Taylor Way doesn't make a square back cutter?

I have not been able to find one if they do. I know king kuter took over ownership of Taylor last year and they do make the same cutters as them now. West Hills Tractor in Jonesborogh has one on the lot, exact same as the king except blue and says feild general by taylor pittsburgh. You know since we are on the subject I have also been pricing 3 point tillers and the same dealer, West Hills has the taylor Pittsburg Tillers. They are exactly the same as King Kutters professional series just different paint. But here is the catch they are priced the same as the King Kutter Standard duty tillers. It has also been my experience lately that if you ask a King Kutter Dealer about the similarities they act like they don't know King Kutter makes anything but standard duty.....but that is a different thread and discussion...

If You find a Taylor Square Back Cutter send me the link to it also I would be definately interested in looking at it.. Thank You Again..

Last edited:
   / Fred Cain Agri Cutter Question #9  
I just bought my used 15' Rhino from West Hills back in December. Good guys to deal with.

I wasn't able to check on who stocks the Fred Cain today. Hopefully I'll have time to find out tomorrow.

/ Fred Cain Agri Cutter Question #10  
Well I found out AE sometimes carries the Fred Cain stuff, but only the hay tools.