Freezing veggies

/ Freezing veggies #1  

KennedyDiesel

Veteran Member
Which veggies need to be cooked first? I always cook my spinach, brussles sprouts,sweet corn, etc, but wonder if it is really necessary prior to freezing. IIRC, I did not cook my peas in the past.

Many frozen veggies from the store do not appear to be cooked in most cases.

Green beans we pressure can so they are definitely cooked.

/ Freezing veggies #2  
No experience with growing brussel sprouts; my wife won't eat'em (and I like'em /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif). We always cooked all the greens before freezing, whether spinach, turnip greens, poke, or collards, if we froze them . That worked pretty well, but personally, I prefer the texture of canned; i.e., pressure cooked greens. I felt the same way about green beans; OK frozen, cooked or uncooked, but better texture if cooked fresh (never been frozen) or canned (pressure cooked). At one time, we cooked sweet corn very briefly; i.e., blanched it before freezing. It seems that when I was a kid, my family did that with most vegetables. But my wife and I learned that was a waste of time with corn; just freeze it and cook it when you get ready to eat it. At one time I even read about freezing corn in the shucks until you were ready to use it, so we tried that. It worked just fine, but takes way too much freezer space. And right now I can't think of anything else that we cooked before freezing; just washed the blackeyed peas, okra, tomatos, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, etc. in cold water before freezing.

/ Freezing veggies
For green beans I use "Jumbo" variety from:

Fisher's Garden Store
E Main
Belgrade, MT 59714
Phone: (406) 388-6052

They are purely awesome with 10-12" or flat longer pods and awesome texture, flavor etc. We put away around 70 pts a season from a packet of seed. Basically a cross between Kentucky Wonder and a Romano bush bean.

Oh yeah, she dislikes "puke balls" too...

/ Freezing veggies #4  
Bird,

I used to feel the same way about green beans, i.e. the home canned ones tasted better to me than any frozen ones. However, I learned to really like lightly steamed fresh green beans with either butter or some kind of vinagrette a few years back. So, last year when we had excess green beans, I decided to try lightly blanching and freezing some whole beans. They came out very nice. I can just thaw a bag of those, steam them lightly, and they taste almost like fresh beans. Now, this is a completely different animal than green beans cooked with salt pork or ham or what have you, which is still one of my favorite dishes, but used as I describe, they are great. They're also a lot easier to put up than canned, and the technique lends itself to processing just a small batch. A friend tried it and complained that his beans came out very soggy, and we decided he had probably blanched them too long. My method is to dunk the beans in a big pot of boiling water, and when the water comes back to a boil I take them out. I use a pasta pan for this. I then dunk the beans in a sink of ice water, and then drain and freeze them. As I said, it's a different beast than my mamma's southern-style green beans, but if you like the steamed whole beans, this comes darn close to fresh.

Chuck

/ Freezing veggies
What about the risk of botchelism? My dad is about as paranoid as you can get and always warns about botchelism with beans.

Any cooked meats he has cooked for hours at minimum... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Freezing veggies #6  
Chuck, I don't think we've tried it with frozen green beans, but I certainly do like the lightly steamed fresh ones with butter.

/ Freezing veggies
Hey, while we are at it, any tips on asparagus? I have a good bed, but the stuff can be pretty strong tasting almost bitter.

Someone once said lime (in the soil) was the secret...

/ Freezing veggies #8  
I've had no personal experience with growing asparagus, but sure did pick a lot of it when I was a kid. I don't remember us doing anything to the patches we had except watering and cutting it. Then in the late '70s and early '80s, I used to go visit my parents in Oklahoma and go with Dad to cut asparagus that was growing in the fence line around the county fair grounds. I also helped him dig up a batch of roots there and take back to their house and Dad planted them in his garden, but I just never got involved in caring for them. I don't think I've ever eaten any that was bitter, so I don't know what could cause that. I know I like the stuff, just raw for a snack, chopped in a salad, steamed, with or without a cheese sauce. I guess the only reason I don't eat more of it is because it's so expensive in the stores.

Also in the late '70s and early '80s our next door neighbor had a sister who lived somewhere in the State of Washington and she had a boyfriend who was an asparagus farmer. When she'd come to visit, she always brought a bunch of canned asparagus with no labels on the cans, and she'd have some "regular" canned asparagus and some pickled. That's the only time I've seen pickled asparagus, but it sure was tasty.

/ Freezing veggies #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I guess the only reason I don't eat more of it is because it's so expensive in the stores. )</font>
I hear that. I buy it by the bunches when it's on special for $1.99 and use Chuck52's method of blanching and freezing it. It's my favorite veggie and I normally eat a "bunch" at a time.
My newest favorite cooking method is putting the spears on a cookie sheet (with aluminum foil on it of course), putting a little olive oil, salt, pepper and a little Italian seasoning on it, mixing it up and cooking at about 400F for about 15 minutes.
Wow /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Freezing veggies #10  
Love asparagus steamed with a dash of olive oil on them. Found them very hardy and easy to grow.

Love the smell??? when nature comes calling!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif