Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack.

/ Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack. #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Apparently a stray came out of nowhere and attacked her. She has severe damage to her upper thigh. This is the third or fourth stray attack on a child in two years.

/ Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack. #2  
I know that many will not agree with me, but strays that are regularly roaming need to be put down.

/ Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack. #3  
Re: Friend痴 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack.

I know that many will not agree with me, but strays that are regularly roaming need to be put down.

Many people on a tractor website (I assume a largely rural readership) would probably agree.

Sorry to hear about OP's friend's daughter.

A few years back I awoke and caught a couple strays killing our chickens. I capture one before the other ran away. No license. I figured some gutless wonder who couldn't keep them anymore dropped them off out in the country.
I chained him up as I went to get my rifle and permanently fix the situation. I came back, put it to his head, cocked the hammer, then thought: Dang, it's February (frozen ground) what am I going to do with this thing before wife and kids get home? I pay taxes, so I called the dog warden to make it his disposal problem (after a 7 or 14 day waiting period).

Turns out they were a neighbor's beloved dogs from a couple miles away (His "kids" - you know the type.) Somebody had tried to break into his house, broke the porch door and the dogs got out (No fault of his own). He apologized profusely and offered to pay for the chickens. He repeatedly thanked me very much for finding them. I didn't have the heart to tell him to stop thanking me; and that he only has his dog back because the ground was frozen!

/ Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack. #4  

:thumbsup:
I agree 100%

/ Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack. #5  

His "kids" - you know the type.

Too bad about the girl being bit and I hope she heals up good. I was also bit by the neighbor's dog and they did not have proof of a rabies vaccination. I was held at the doctor until the sheriff showed up to ask questions. The dog was held at a vet for a while too.

Last edited:
   / Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack. #6  

Many people on a tractor website (I assume a largely rural readership) would probably agree.

Sorry to hear about OP's friend's daughter.

A few years back I awoke and caught a couple strays killing our chickens. I capture one before the other ran away. No license. I figured some gutless wonder who couldn't keep them anymore dropped them off out in the country.
I chained him up as I went to get my rifle and permanently fix the situation. I came back, put it to his head, cocked the hammer, then thought: Dang, it's February (frozen ground) what am I going to do with this thing before wife and kids get home? I pay taxes, so I called the dog warden to make it his disposal problem (after a 7 or 14 day waiting period).

Turns out they were a neighbor's beloved dogs from a couple miles away (His "kids" - you know the type.) Somebody had tried to break into his house, broke the porch door and the dogs got out (No fault of his own). He apologized profusely and offered to pay for the chickens. He repeatedly thanked me very much for finding them. I didn't have the heart to tell him to stop thanking me; and that he only has his dog back because the ground was frozen!

I did that once... We were just married living in the middle of Amish and Mennonite farms in rural central PA. Anyway, the one Amish neighbor had a ginormous wolf type hybrid dog that he insisted wouldn't stay penned up, tied up, nothin... So I got home from work one day and this dog wouldn't let me in my own house, barking and growling. I pulled my deer rifle out of the truck, sighted him in and laid my finger on the trigger... Then I saw those big eyes, and they weren't mean, so I drove over and got the farmer and he came and took him away. A few weeks later the dog chewed through the side of the barn and came back; I peppered him in the but with some squirrel shot, and he never left that farm again. The Amish guy said if he knew that was all it was gonna take, he would have shot him in the but years earlier...

/ Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack. #7  

My experience with loose dogs is the larger the dog,the less likely they wear a collar and/or chipped. The few weighing less than 20 pounds and not wearing a tag, were usually injured,infested by parasites or other signs of neglect pointing to abandonment. Point is that owners who alow large dogs to roam take precautions to make it difficult to prove ownership if the dog does something bad. Here's a familiar scenario. A person known to be a rancher,poultery farmer or having a situation where large dogs could cause damage,ask's a neighbor if he own's or know who own's a (large breed of certain color ect). Neighbor respond's with"ah,,umm,well,I've seen that old dog around several times,why,did it do something???" Or the farmer approach's neighbor with"I want to talk to you about your Doberman". In this case where farmer has connected the dog & owner,the owner's response "ah,uhh,,,,well that's not my dog,he's been hanging around for a while so I been giving him something to eat". I don't have a solution,not one that everyone agree's with and are ready to work on.

/ Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack. #8  

I did that once... We were just married living in the middle of Amish and Mennonite farms in rural central PA. Anyway, the one Amish neighbor had a ginormous wolf type hybrid dog that he insisted wouldn't stay penned up, tied up, nothin... So I got home from work one day and this dog wouldn't let me in my own house, barking and growling. I pulled my deer rifle out of the truck, sighted him in and laid my finger on the trigger... Then I saw those big eyes, and they weren't mean, so I drove over and got the farmer and he came and took him away. A few weeks later the dog chewed through the side of the barn and came back; I peppered him in the but with some squirrel shot, and he never left that farm again. The Amish guy said if he knew that was all it was gonna take, he would have shot him in the but years earlier...

I've seen birdshot work several times for rascal cows that insist on getting through fences to graze roadside. (If owner fed them better,that would also help). Best not to use owner's truck,they just learn to jump back over fence or run off before owner get's close enough to lower the boom. The idea is to make them think any car they see coming might bite their butt. Can't let this go without this story my son tells 20 years after it happened. We were quail hunting when the land owner stopped to vist and tell us about a covey he had been seeing. When he drove up,my son noticed a shotgun on his dashboard and asked if he was joining us. Guy said he was on the way to shoot a bull before he got himself run over. During our visit,son noticed some high brass #2 shells on dashboard and told guy he best take a couple of #8s unless he planed to kill the bull. Guy said #2s left over from a goose hunt was all he had and he didn't want to buy a box of ammo just to bust the bull.

/ Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack. #9  

A syntax question; when you say strays are you referring to any dog at large? To me a stray is an animal which some douche bag has abandoned.
A dog at large can be a stray, or a pet of somebody who is too irresponsible to take care of it and keep it under control.

When they are on your land attacking your livestock, pets, or kids, it doesn't really matter what they are called. In the latter case though,The dog was just being a dog although you do what you have to do and they pay the price. .I've always lamented that you can't also shoot the owner.

It isn't his fault his owner is irresponsible. Yet they will act like it's your fault that you had to shoot Fido, i.e.; "This is the first time that he ever ran away," "he would never hurt a soul," blah, blah, blah...

At the very least just as some people shouldn't have kids, there are too many people out there who shouldn't have pets.

I hope that the kid which the OP posted about makes a full recovery, and doesn't grow up to be afraid of animals.

/ Friend’s 9-year old daughter in surgery after stray dog attack.
The mom had left the garage door up for visitors. Guests enter their home thru the garage and mud room. The dog CAME IN THE HOUSE and attacked the girl in the mud room. The mother and a guest lady literally choked the dog off the child and the mother carried the thrashing biting dog to the door and threw it outside. The muscles in the child’s left leg are ‘shredded’. Don’t know if she will ever walk properly again.

The dog is a Pitbull mix and was collared but no name or tag.