Front Axle Gear Oil Spec Requirements for New 3620H

/ Front Axle Gear Oil Spec Requirements for New 3620H #1  

bcs001

Bronze Member
Tractor
2021 Branson 3620H
I posted this question last week in the Oil, Fuel & Lube forum but did see any definitive answers and I haven't been able to get detailed info from a current factory service manual so I wanted to see if anyone knows for sure what the 80W-90 gear oil requirement is. Owners manual only states SAE 80W-90 and no GL# rating. I do know there is a difference between GL4 / GL5 and their compatibility with some metals like brass. I topped off with GL5 since I was a little low at 25 hours and will be doing a complete drain and refill at 50 hours so I want to know if GL5 is ok for this axle.

Thanks,
Bruce.

/ Front Axle Gear Oil Spec Requirements for New 3620H #2  
The difference between GL4 and 5 is the amount of additives. The only problem with gl5 is that it can corrode copper bearing parts. I think either would work fine in your differential. I would probably put in GL4 but would not get too concerned if I put in GL5. GL5 was created for high speed differentials, and unless you using your tractor in off road racing (??) there is no advantage is using it.

/ Front Axle Gear Oil Spec Requirements for New 3620H #3  
Agree with Cougsfan. Be glad they are recommending gear oil. Back in 2007 they said same fluid as the THD oil....bad decision. Not up to the task. So at least by 2016 they had changed to gear oil which I also did in my 2007 6530 and no more tearing up front axle bearings with heavy punishing loads.

Not only did they change they molded into the rubber fill cap.