Front Axle leak, M4700

/ Front Axle leak, M4700 #1  

design

Silver Member
Tractor
M5400
Has anybody fixed an M series front axle? The right front axle is leaking at the lower kingpin joint which allows the wheel to pivot to steer the tractor. Is this an easy repair? Where do I get the parts and what tools are needed? I can email photos, I do not know how to post them.
Thanks in advance.

-Design

/ Front Axle leak, M4700 #2  
Design, can’t help with how bad of job it will be. For parts take a look at www.tractorsmart.com . Good people to deal with and they will e-mail you a file with all the parts for your tractor model.

MarkV

/ Front Axle leak, M4700
MarkV,
Thank you for responding. I have the M4700 parts diagram, but I not wondering about the need for special tools to do the job. I am sure the effort is like the L3 series as the design of the king pin assembly is similar.

Design

/ Front Axle leak, M4700 #4  
Hi JR,

For the L3 details, there is a very good collection of pictures and information here on fixing a front axle leak on a L4350 - which you may remember from earlier this year. There were differences in the parts that Ronnie at Tractorsmart searched out in service bulletins. Some items had been updated. Take care, Dick B

Last edited:
   / Front Axle leak, M4700 #5  
Design, I posted the pics that Dick was refering to. If I can help let me know.
Ken

/ Front Axle leak, M4700
Dick and Bigk56,
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I can free up a weekend sometime later in the fall to do the repair. What other current L series models have the double shear king pin? Is the L48 built this way?

-Design

/ Front Axle leak, M4700 #7  
In fact I fixed my front axle leak today on my M4700. If you have a loader then just pick up the front of the tractor and put some supports under it. Pull the wheel, split the tie rod (I used a wood splitting wedge)
I opted to take the whole unit off and take it home. 5 Bolts hold the entire knuckle to the axle. There is a o-ring seal so no gasket to speak of.
Once at the bench, drive off the bottom plug.
Take off 1st oring you get to and drop spline.
take off second o-ring and pull out the whole top including the seal.
Seal was bought at Kubota and they told me it would look different and it did. It is a bit more bulky than original.
Take out old seal, make sure it is all gone
Drive in new seal.
Put on top.
Replace o-ring
Replace spline
Replace oring
Put in NEW plug.
Bolt onto tractor.
Now the real story. The new seal was a real BITC$ to get in, even with a press. I had to take the whole knuckle to the Kubota tech and he said he had never seen one as tight but once in place (pressed) and the first snap ring in place (while on the press) it went together in less than 5 minutes. The tech said that they had been having a tough time getting the seals in since Kubota had changed them a bit. Can't confirm but the parts guy and the tech said same thing. I do believe them.

Nice to see some M owners out there. They sure are nice tractors. The 5cyl is a very smooth and powerful engine. I have been so pleased with mine even with small glitches. Of course it is 10 years old so what did I expect.
d

/ Front Axle leak, M4700
D,
Thank you for the feeback. THe seal has just started to leak. My wife notice the spot on the driveway. Therefore it needs to be changed.
-Design