Front Wheel Drive Gear Replacement

/ Front Wheel Drive Gear Replacement #1  

podagrower

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 40
Okay, I made a great buy on my used TC40:D becouse it needed some repairs/maintenance. I've fixed and replaced most of the problems and only have one thing left...one big thing
The previous owner broke the front pinion gear:eek: . I have the two axle shafts and differential in the garage and have just been using the tractor as a 2wd.
The parts I can get from Messick's for about $600.
The question is, how difficult a job is it to replace the dif? I have changed transmissions and transfer cases on trucks but never gears, I was afraid of setting backlash wrong and burning up gears.
Has anyone done this (or similar) job before.
Thanks for the laughs, thanks for the help.

/ Front Wheel Drive Gear Replacement #2  
It's not that difficult. Check the backlash before taking it about, then set it back to that. You will always save lots of money doing it yourself. Good luck.

/ Front Wheel Drive Gear Replacement #3  
I'm assuming you're replacing the ring and pinion as a set. You need to. When I had to replace them years ago in my 2120 a dealer (not my regular one) did it for $1600. They lasted less than a week because they weren't set up right. New ones have lasted over 10 years. It is a very percise thing to do to get thespacers correct so that the mating surfaces are right on.

Andy