Frustrating pontoon repair

/ Frustrating pontoon repair #21  
I think you should check into filling the tubes with foam.

Not a good idea. It'll make the boat heavy and unable to carry as much weight. My current pontoon project which should be wrapping up next week.

41675500414_b5b05c9f9a_o.jpg
[/url]

/ Frustrating pontoon repair #22  
Not a good idea. It'll make the boat heavy and unable to carry as much weight. My current pontoon project which should be wrapping up next week.

41675500414_b5b05c9f9a_o.jpg
[/url]
I'm in agreement here... I wouldn't add that much weight to solve the problem. Fix the crappy patch job. You could do it with good quality sealants to be honest. Just needs to be watertight as it is not a pressurized vessel.

/ Frustrating pontoon repair #23  
Pontoons can be tricky to repair with welding. I've had such good luck patching with aluminum sheet and 5200 adhesive/sealant that I'd only consider welding if there was a structural issue or it was a location that would be tough to patch. There are some really advanced fabrication adhesives (used for assembling aluminum car unibodies and boat hulls/stringers, instead of welding) that would be even better than 5200, but in my experience it's plenty strong and it's proven reliable below the waterline.

/ Frustrating pontoon repair #24  
Actually many metals are actually porous to some extent making welding used metals quite a challenge with forgings the worst.
Following abrasion some strong solvents are generally required such as MEK, acetone or again even steaming.

I repeat that my preferred repair would have been a simple overlapping surface patch and rivets and sealant.

Shucks using windshield adhesive you could 'glue' an overlapping patch to cover the damaged area.
Stop drilling the ends of any crack will prevent any growth also.

/ Frustrating pontoon repair #25  
If you really want the patch welded you might try a place that welds tank trailers. They won't have to worry about cleaning fuel out of the tank when they weld the boat.

/ Frustrating pontoon repair #26  
I just finished welding up a hole in a trans case for a trash truck, it wasn't pretty but will hold. Contamination is hard to overcome with used aluminum and corrosion makes it even worse as you can't just "bake" it out.

This is the second in truck trans case repair I've done and it can be a challenge, however I couldn't have let the repair that was done on that pontoon leave the shop like that.

/ Frustrating pontoon repair #27  
That is an ugly patch and I know nothing about aluminum welding. I do watch tv and that's an easy fix, FlexSeal.:drink:

And it even work's under"wooder".:D

/ Frustrating pontoon repair #28  
Pontoons can be tricky to repair with welding. I've had such good luck patching with aluminum sheet and 5200 adhesive/sealant that I'd only consider welding if there was a structural issue or it was a location that would be tough to patch. There are some really advanced fabrication adhesives (used for assembling aluminum car unibodies and boat hulls/stringers, instead of welding) that would be even better than 5200, but in my experience it's plenty strong and it's proven reliable below the waterline.

Heck, aluminum in some airplanes has been glued together for five decades.

/ Frustrating pontoon repair #29  
The PROPER repair would be to weld it.
TIG first choice and MIG if TIG is not available.
Rivets, glues or sealers are for emergency repairs or for amateurs.
Welding challenges are part of it and experience is learned.
If you are lucky there is an old Fart around to show you tricks.

/ Frustrating pontoon repair #30  
"Back in in the day", air-propane torches were used to braze aluminum refrigerator evaporators with ice pick holes. Those were at 20 to 25 psi during daily operation and 100psi during storage or shipment.