Fuel leak question on 5310

/ Fuel leak question on 5310 #1  

bnew17

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 JD 5310 w/ 542 FEL
Let me first say I know pretty much nothing. I got this tractor about 5 months ago. I noticed the other day when i walked beside the tractor the smell of fuel. I chalked it up to nothing. I used the tractor about 3 days ago and had 1/4 tank. I crank it up this morning and make it a little ways and it chokes down. A little while later i realized fuel had leaked out. I cant tell if the fuel is coming out of the fuel line or possibly this piece on the back of the tank that looks like a wing nut? I couldnt find a diagram in my manual of the tank. Pretty much everything under the tank on the left side of the tractor is covered in fuel. There is still a tiny bit in the tank still. What is my first step? Thanks

Attachments

• 37BDEA2F-5AED-47BC-A7DD-88896B080F28.jpeg
    37BDEA2F-5AED-47BC-A7DD-88896B080F28.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 93
  • 3CC2811C-AF53-42FE-8D8D-F7357D4FF8F7.jpeg
    3CC2811C-AF53-42FE-8D8D-F7357D4FF8F7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
   / Fuel leak question on 5310 #2  
First step.. wipe it off to get dry as possible, then observe the location to see where the fuel is coming from.

History of the tractor may help.. parked outside in freezing weather maybe? How long have you had it ? Possible water has formed in tank and frozen?

/ Fuel leak question on 5310
Something must have happened the other day to cause it to leak the tank out. Only thing i can think of if is i ran over some fead limbs when i was clearing an old road and something hit the fuel line??? Never noticed a leak before. And for it to leak out 1/4 tank in a few days...

Dont know much about tractors history other than it has 1280 hrs, 2001 model and was told it has never had any problems really.
Had it serviced around Thanksgiving (about 20 hours ago) and mechanic didn’t say anything about a leak.

i can see some drops of fuel on some wires underneath the tank. Didnt see an active leak from the fuel line where it goes in the tank. Thats the only place it could be coming from I would think.

no real freezing weather in the last few weeks. Even then maybe lows in the low 30’s

Last edited:
   / Fuel leak question on 5310 #4  
I agree, clean real well and search for leak.
The "wingnut" is the drain valve. It looks like mud dobbers filled it with dirt and some one poked a hole in the dirt?
I suspect the fuel line. It looks like a "crimp" clamp (still there loose) was replaced with a worm gear clamp. Maybe leaked before?. The fuel lines started leaking on my JD, they started to leak where the hose meets the fitting. Cut an inch off and reattach fixed the leak short term, only enough hose to do once at each end. So I replaced all the lines with Gates Barricade Hose. They make a high and low pressure version, you only need the low pressure version. High is for fuel injected cars/trucks.

/ Fuel leak question on 5310 #5  
I have attached a picture of the fuel system and an included a link to the operators manual if you did not get one. As suggested already clean it up and watch for the leak. I suggest NOT trying to open the drain valve (at13740) as you may make things worse. If it is the valve consider replacing it, cleaning the fuel tank and replacing the fuel/return lines (note the fuel line and return line are different sizes). Took me 2 afternoons to do it on my 5210.

Hardest part was removing the 2 screws on the fuel tank straps. Before do anything, close the shut off at the fuel filter. When done, fill the fuel tank, disconnect the fuel line at the filter. This allow the air in the fuel line to be purged. Put the line back on, once fuel starts coming out, put the throttle about half way up and startup the tractor. Doing this I did not have to bleed the tractor to start it.

Attachments

• fuelsystem.pdf
    575.6 KB · Views: 96
So i believe i found the culprit of the leak...looks like the fuel line is cracked where it connects to the tank. Also the clamp was not very tight. When i removed it I noticed the crack.

Attachments

• 913D0581-AFD7-40E8-A32E-AF28FEE57C37.jpeg
    913D0581-AFD7-40E8-A32E-AF28FEE57C37.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I have attached a picture of the fuel system and an included a link to the operators manual if you did not get one. As suggested already clean it up and watch for the leak. I suggest NOT trying to open the drain valve (at13740) as you may make things worse. If it is the valve consider replacing it, cleaning the fuel tank and replacing the fuel/return lines (note the fuel line and return line are different sizes). Took me 2 afternoons to do it on my 5210.

Hardest part was removing the 2 screws on the fuel tank straps. Before do anything, close the shut off at the fuel filter. When done, fill the fuel tank, disconnect the fuel line at the filter. This allow the air in the fuel line to be purged. Put the line back on, once fuel starts coming out, put the throttle about half way up and startup the tractor. Doing this I did not have to bleed the tractor to start it.

Thanks for the picture of the fuel system and manual.

So let me get this straight, because this is a little bit intimidating for me lol. I have never done any work like this before.

1. Close shut off at fuel filter

2. Disconnect fuel supply hose and attach new one at the tank.

3. Fill tank with fuel

4. Once fuel comes out of line, attach ot back to fuel filter.

5. Put throttle halfway and crank tractor

I did not see anywhere where you opened the shut off at the fuel filter. I assume you would do this prior to starting up the tractor right?

/ Fuel leak question on 5310 #8  
After you replace the line that runs from the fuel tank to the fuel filter. Yes you will need to open the shut off, before starting.

You might want to read how to bleed the system should you have to do that.