Fuel Pump Frustration

/ Fuel Pump Frustration #1  

agmccall

Tractor
Montana
Hi all

I have a Montana R3644 tractor. I need to replace the fuel pump. Montana tractors were made by LS Tractor.

I need to replace the fuel pump, it is a simple process and simple inline fuel pump. The problem I am having is finding a replacement. All replacements I have found have 8mm or 3/8" inlet/outlet. I tried a couple and they seem too powerful when I go to start the tractor the filter bowl is almost like foam to me that seems like it is pumping too much too fast. They have the larger inlet/outlet that I bought some fittings and reduced it down. The ones I have tried are larger than the one on the tractor. It is a bit difficult when purchasing online as you only have a pic to go by, and many do not include sizing specs. I need the inlet outlet to be approx 1/4 maybe 5/32 or in metric around 6mm

It is absolutely ridiculous that if I go to the company that is selling Montana parts, Montana went out of business several years ago so you can still get parts through a tractor dealer that bought the parts department. They want over $400.00 for a $20.00 part

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Al McCall

/ Fuel Pump Frustration #3  
Hi all

I have a Montana R3644 tractor. I need to replace the fuel pump. Montana tractors were made by LS Tractor.

I need to replace the fuel pump, it is a simple process and simple inline fuel pump. The problem I am having is finding a replacement. All replacements I have found have 8mm or 3/8" inlet/outlet. I tried a couple and they seem too powerful when I go to start the tractor the filter bowl is almost like foam to me that seems like it is pumping too much too fast. They have the larger inlet/outlet that I bought some fittings and reduced it down. The ones I have tried are larger than the one on the tractor. It is a bit difficult when purchasing online as you only have a pic to go by, and many do not include sizing specs. I need the inlet outlet to be approx 1/4 maybe 5/32 or in metric around 6mm

It is absolutely ridiculous that if I go to the company that is selling Montana parts, Montana went out of business several years ago so you can still get parts through a tractor dealer that bought the parts department. They want over $400.00 for a $20.00 part

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Al McCall

Send a picture of what you have, I have a new never used 6mm inlet output 4-7psi I will sell you if you want.

/ Fuel Pump Frustration #4  
   / Fuel Pump Frustration
either use a 4PSI fuel pump, or use a higher pressure pump with a regulator, problem solved. something like this would work properly. Robot Check

That is the one I bought, too big

thanks

al

/ Fuel Pump Frustration #6  
Just a thought, perhaps it's not the fault of the new fuel pump you tried. There will be air in the newly installed pump to start off with. That air could be the cause of the foaming you see. Did you try purging out any air by venting the fuel system at the filter bowl or someplace downstream of the new pump?

/ Fuel Pump Frustration #7  
Thought about it more, and its probably not the pressure that is making it foam, its the volume. The lift pump feeding the injection pump doesn't need high volume, and all the diesel is mainly going back to the tank, so your filtering a lot of fuel.

Might look for a electric pump for a tractor or mower of similar size. Don't know if this would fit the bill but here is one for a BX1860 so 18hp 3cyl diesel

https://www.completetractor.com/fuel-pump-for-kubota-bx1860-bx1870-bx1870-1-bx1880-bx2360-r1401-51352/?mrkgcl=1181&mrkgadid=3279220753&adpos=1o2&creative=255456459556&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhuvlBRCeARIsAM720HqSXmSriRJYsam3XLkOD3sffNf_v8tQ-3uwWGDZK-oATxxCtZQ9pg4aAnRCEALw_wcB

/ Fuel Pump Frustration #8  
Are you sure the vacuum side of the fuel system is 100 %? If you have a leak it will suck air.

/ Fuel Pump Frustration #9  
Are you sure the vacuum side of the fuel system is 100 %? If you have a leak it will suck air.

And it doesn't have to leak fuel to have an air leak.