Oil & Fuel fuel tank finally dug up

/ fuel tank finally dug up #1  

m7040

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
this is the underground fuel tank that I dug up today. Note that the holes that the teeth on the bucket made in the side. Stinks very heavily of gas. Will leave it to dry out before doing anything more with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0065 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0065 (Small).JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_0064 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0064 (Small).JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 538
   / fuel tank finally dug up #2  
If Maryland is anything like WA, I'd hide that tank and NEVER tell anybody about it !

Does any of your property paper work mention a in-ground fuel tank ?

/ fuel tank finally dug up #3  
What i would NOT do is put a cutting torch to that tank! it could e dangerous and it could be very expensive to have it carted away. depends on the laws in your state but probably would be considered hazardous material.

/ fuel tank finally dug up #4  
frank_f15 said:
What i would NOT do is put a cutting torch to that tank! it could e dangerous and it could be very expensive to have it carted away. depends on the laws in your state but probably would be considered hazardous material.

This would work to cut it up, but if it had gas in it as stated by m7040 noticing a gas smell, have plenty of water on hand and be carefull.

John

/ fuel tank finally dug up #5  
Evening m7040.
Glad you had sunny day for such detail...to bad you can't crush the tank flat than call scrape dealer to haul it away.

/ fuel tank finally dug up #6  
m7040 said:
this is the underground fuel tank that I dug up today. Note that the holes that the teeth on the bucket made in the side. Stinks very heavily of gas. Will leave it to dry out before doing anything more with it.

Some states require a permit to remove an in ground fuel tank, certified removers and more. Hope you did your pre-work!

Quick google search found this: U.S. Inspect - Professional Home Inspections: UST - House Facts

What was in the tank? Diesel or gasoline? You can use a sawzall on a diesel tank. A tank with gasoline in it requires mucho care. They are explosive as in Ka-Boom. Letting it dry is not good enough. The gas will have permeated the steel and will give off explosive fumes when heated. There are methods, like filling the tank with soapy water and C02 chunks and then cutting. Even then, there are deaths and injuries every year from welding or cutting on gas tanks.

Do take care!

jb

/ fuel tank finally dug up
Thank you for all the good advice. Have decided to use a licenced disposal contractor to get rid of the tank. Will cost some bucks but will be safe.

/ fuel tank finally dug up #8  
Just a note to others as you have already decided to have it handled by a pro.

A guy a couple miles down the road from me was killed when he tried to cut a fuel tank that was setting open for 20 years.

/ fuel tank finally dug up #9  
The supervisor at a NH recycling center was killed a few years ago torching the top off a 55 gallon drum that had previously held solvents. MikeD74T

/ fuel tank finally dug up #10  
m7040 said:
Thank you for all the good advice. Have decided to use a licenced disposal contractor to get rid of the tank. Will cost some bucks but will be safe.

Good plan! The bucks saved doing it your self wouldn't even pay for a decent floral arrangement for the funeral.

Actually, you got me started looking into the hazards of old gas tanks. Yikes! Some have exploded more than 50 years after being abandoned. It's a very unpredictable beast. Best left to the pro's - and I'm a certified do it yourselfer!.