Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner

/ Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner #1  

Sean2202

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L305DT
So today before the Thanksgiving break a task that was assigned to some workers on staff was to treat the diesel tractors (Kioti) chipper (4B Cummins) Toro mowers (Kubota) and J-D (Yanmar) with diesel fuel conditioner for the winter. Also assigned was to treat the fuel tank which was just filled for winter. When I took out the trash at the end of the day I found a empty 1 gallon bottle of diesel 911 In the trash in which they used to treat everything instead of the fuel conditioner. The fuel Conditioner that was to be used was on the shelf in plain site next to the 911.

So my question is should I be concerned? I am not sure how much product was used for the treatment of everything. 3 tractors, 1 chipper, 12 Toro mowers and two J-D mowers in all were treated.

Everyone makes mistakes but I am very disappointed how people can be so careless, especially ones that have experience.

Any input is welcome
Sean

/ Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner #2  
Be interesting to hear what the experts say. 911 is a great product. But it's pretty extreme.

/ Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner #3  
I would say to contact Power Serve and see what their response is.
I know what I would be saying to the individuals involved after asking if they bothered to read the dose rates and usage.

Are any of the dosed engines common rail or are they mechanical injection.

/ Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner #4  
From the website:

Diesel 911 does not prevent fuel gelling – use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (in the white bottle) as a preventive measure to keep fuel from gelling. Diesel 911 and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost are compatible in diesel fuel and may be used at the same time.

/ Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner #5  
From the website:

Diesel 911 does not prevent fuel gelling use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (in the white bottle) as a preventive measure to keep fuel from gelling. Diesel 911 and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost are compatible in diesel fuel and may be used at the same time.

Diesel 911 should only be used as an Emergency (911) to dissolve gelled fuel at cold temperatures. Once the "gell" is dissolved and the fuel system is clear, the treated fuel should be removed. 911 contains enough alcohol to to dissolve the gelling, but the alcohol is really tough on injection pumps. It cleans the lubricity off the pump internals and can cause some serious high pressure pump damage.

We always recommend customers call us before using 911 so we can discuss how it should be used.

Just our opinion, hope it helps

/ Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner #6  
Diesel 911 should only be used as an Emergency (911) to dissolve gelled fuel at cold temperatures. Once the "gell" is dissolved and the fuel system is clear, the treated fuel should be removed. 911 contains enough alcohol to to dissolve the gelling, but the alcohol is really tough on injector pumps. It cleans the lubricity off the pump internals and can cause some serious high pressure pump damage.

We always recommend customers call us before using 911 so we can discuss how it should be used.

Just our opinion, hope it helps

Good stuff. Thanks for posting!!!

/ Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner
Thanks for the replies so far. The 911 was just for that. Emergencies. All of these Diesel engines are pre tier 4 with the newest being a 2012. All are mechanical injection with hours ranging from 2500 to 8k.

Good point on contacting power serve. I was unaware that fuel treated with 911 should be removed. Thanks for sharing that. What to do with it after it is removed?

What concerns me is my fuel tank for my equipment was treated as well. Along with these individuals are the ones that mix the chemicals to be applied on the Golf course! A serious talk is in order!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

/ Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner #8  
In my world, 911 is used to get a vehicle running that's gelled. The 911 treated fuel gets burned very soon. In your case sounds like it would be a huge task to drain all of that equipment.

Maybe Michigan Iron can comment on adding a lubricant and burning the fuel thru the engines next Spring?

/ Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner #9  
Probably just use the fuel and burn it up. Might be a good idea to try and blend it with regular diesel to dilute it some.

/ Fuel treated with 911 instead of conditioner #10  
In my world, 911 is used to get a vehicle running that's gelled. The 911 treated fuel gets burned very soon. In your case sounds like it would be a huge task to drain all of that equipment.

Maybe Michigan Iron can comment on adding a lubricant and burning the fuel thru the engines next Spring?

It's only speculation but perhaps the alcohol will volatize out of the storage tank over time?
Contacting the manufacturer is a good plan.