Future engine swap

/ Future engine swap #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
I'm starting to do a little research for a possible engine swap someday. I have a ford 961 propane tractor that I bought from my wife's grandfather. The tractor runs great and I really enjoy it but the propane is kind of a pane in the butt. When it is time to fill it I load it on my trailer and take it to a place a few miles away to get it filled. It's not a big deal but it's just enough hassle that I don't use it as much as I would if I could fill it up at home, and if that place would close I would have to find another and it would t be very close.

Anyway, so all that leads me to the thought of swapping it over to a diesel engine and saving the old engine, propane tank, etc in case I ever want to change it back. What I would really like to do is change it to a ford 3 cylinder out of a ford 4000 or similar. Has anyone done this or know if it is a fairly simple bolt up swap or would I be better off finding a diesel out of a hundred series?

/ Future engine swap #2  
A 3 cylinder diesel will not bolt up. A 4 cylinder diesel will bolt up. They did have a problem with the crankshaft balancer. The easiest thing to do is to change it over to gas. A carb, gas tank and possibly an intake/exhaust manifold (because the part number is different from LP to gas) and of course some hood Tin. Would be a lot cheaper than looking for a good running diesel engine.
I would even consider swap parts if you were closer.

Kirk

/ Future engine swap
I guess that means a 3 cylinder gas won't bolt up either? I have access to a gas engine and 8 speed tranny.

/ Future engine swap #4  
correct, 3 cyl gasser won't bolt up to your 961. Of course anything is possible with a welder and some $$$ but won't be a just bolt and go.

Kirk

/ Future engine swap #5  
Use your home propane tank to fill it. If you don't have a tank u can lease them and they sell the hose to fill the tractor.

/ Future engine swap
I have a 250 gallon home tank but without a pump I didn't think I could fill the tractor.

/ Future engine swap #8  
I don't think a pump is required. I worked for a farmer in the late 50'S who had a propane tractor and we didn't need a pump to fill a Allis WD-45. About all I remember about filling the tractor tank was 1. Wear gloves as the lines get very cold. 2. Purge the fill line on the supply tank. 3. Hook the fill line to the tractor pump. 4. Open the vent on the tractor tank. 5. Fill the tank . When the vent on the tractor tank turns from clear to a fog the tank is full. Shut off the supply and close the vent. I am sure there is a procedure for doing this that will be more precise than what I have stated. There were quite a few propane tractors around in the late 50's and one of the factors was the ease of fueling the tractors. We just had a 250 gallon tank on wheels. Propane was very cheap at that time also.

/ Future engine swap #9  
I think id just swap to gas with tin and rank , carb and manifold it will be pepy with the higher compression, not to mention propane tractors are usually very very clean internally.

/ Future engine swap
I don't think a pump is required. I worked for a farmer in the late 50'S who had a propane tractor and we didn't need a pump to fill a Allis WD-45. About all I remember about filling the tractor tank was 1. Wear gloves as the lines get very cold. 2. Purge the fill line on the supply tank. 3. Hook the fill line to the tractor pump. 4. Open the vent on the tractor tank. 5. Fill the tank . When the vent on the tractor tank turns from clear to a fog the tank is full. Shut off the supply and close the vent. I am sure there is a procedure for doing this that will be more precise than what I have stated. There were quite a few propane tractors around in the late 50's and one of the factors was the ease of fueling the tractors. We just had a 250 gallon tank on wheels. Propane was very cheap at that time also.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do a little more research and then get a hose made up and give it a try.