G5500 on order, should I return it and look for a used 75-89 GT?

/ G5500 on order, should I return it and look for a used 75-89 GT? #1  

mangler

Gold Member
Tractor
Sears G5500, Kioti CK2610
I ordered a Sears G5500 (or canadian equivalent), 24 hp briggs platinum, 23" tires, 54" deck, G730 tranny. Looked like it would do nicely, and hopefully curb my appetite for true CUT for a while. I just bout 3 acres, and finally could justify the purchase.

I got a decent deal ($2400), but reading this forum and other testimonials I am getting cold feet. Busted steering, wheel bushings, torn frames, overall low power compared to late 80's GT tractors etc. I am now considering a used GT with some implements might be a better value (I could get a Bolens H14 in decent shape with snow blower for $1000, and saw a few late 70s Case 440s for 1500 with 2-3 implements.)

Is the high tech and new smell really worth the extra dough? I have no issues with mods, but i feel you should not have to during the first 2 years on a brand new tractor. Plus voiding the warranty is a worry.

Looking for G5500 or GT6000 owners who are happy with their purchase, preferably those with thick frame garden tractor experience behind their belt.

/ G5500 on order, should I return it and look for a used 75-89 GT? #2  
If the Bolens or Case were fairly well kept , they would be a better investment. Sears or any of the big box models are built cheap to be sold cheap. The only real positive on the new ones is the cup holder.