Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting

/ Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
My wife's cousin's friend asked to use my garage to repair the clutch in his 69 Stingray. He figured about one week and in my mind I figured 2 weeks. It has been over six weeks. He has had to put in a new clutch, send the transmission out for repairs, and now have the new drive shaft shortened. I asked him to remove it this weekend so I could change oil in my van. Also leave it out of the garage for a week so somebody else could do some minor work. He said OK, but then begged off for a "few more days". So today I changed the oil out in the cold. It was not really that bad, but this is getting redicilous.

I know I am probably being too nice to the guy, but I don't want to over react. My though now is to let him finish, but never let him use the garage again. Oh, this has a non Chevrolet engine, transmission, and drive shaft. So everything is custom and must be modified one after the other. He is not poor and works as an engineer. I am interested to hear what others would do in this situation.

/ Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting #2  
Bob looks like you've learned a hard lesson.. And I believe you're old enough to know better. :D I'd be royal pain in the backside and call everyday asking when he is going to get the car done. And give him a dead line.. Not out of there by then you'll have it towed. He will have choice of where it gets towed, but it will get towed.
Like you I'm a nice guy and hate when I get taken advantage of.

Wedge

/ Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting #3  
"My wife's cousin friend" enough said right there. Good luck

/ Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting #4  
Always remember the old Irish saying" No good deed goes unpunished" ;)

/ Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting #5  
   / Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting #6  
if you reasoably believe the car will be mobile in another week.. I'd bit the bullet and let him finish.. and then never let him step foot on the property again...

/ Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting #7  
Is he working on it every day, or once a week?
If every day and really trying to get it done but the job is blowing up... I understand might go easy on him...
If he is just dilly dallying... push it outside.

/ Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting #8  
"My wife's cousin friend" enough said right there. Good luck

X2 Looks like your garage has been "occupied", and we all saw how well that turned out.

/ Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting #9  
I am interested to hear what others would do in this situation.
LOL... surely you don't mean that? I say loan him your tractor too...

Age-old lesson that has been tossed around for as many centuries, as weeks he will stay in the garage.

Family gratuities never work out. Never. It's like loaning money to family, never expect it back.

Garages are no different. You'll be changing oil outside for a long time... never expect it back.

Me? I'd go move the car where it was entirely out of my way and mostly on it's way off my property, in no uncertain terms.

$0.02

Good luck.

/ Garage Borrowed - 6 weeks and counting #10  
We don't let anyone use our personal garage just for this reason. We have enough of our own equipment and if we need to work on something I don't want to have to worry about someone else being in the way. My brother isn't even allowed in there but thats because he never puts tools away and leaves his garbage where ever it falls. The nicer your garage the more people want to use it so unless their real close friends who you trust just learn to say no. If they can afford a play car like the one you described then they can afford to build a simple garage of their own.