Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw

/ Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw #1  

SPIKER

Elite Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
Hey All:

anyone ever seen this happen befor? My poulan wild thing bought at wally mart works well but this week I started on some storm damage removal. dug out the saws (2 of them) opened & filled one up easy like normal the other one I marely got the gas cap off and once off it expanded and wouldn't go back on. I ran one then the other by wapping the good fitting cap for now. Didn't get to talk to them (Poulan Custermer help) yet but I remember this happeneing to my brothers oLD dirt bike except it shrank and wouldn't fit. and never did again. I want to know if anyone has had this happen and if they got a new one or fixed the old one? would soaking the cap in something make it shrink back down? I would HATE to try and trim it down to fit againe /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

anyhow some suggestions?

MarkM

/ Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw #2  
I had the same thing happen to my Stihl S10, but it took almost 40 years to swell so much I couldn't screw it back in.

/ Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I had the same thing happen to my Stihl S10, but it took almost 40 years to swell so much I couldn't screw it back in. )</font>

SEE!!! THEY JUST DON"T MAKE NOTHIN LAST ANYMORE!!!!

LOL.... just kidding. I think after 40 years a new cap might just be in order! My guess is that was an old German made Stihl. I still got an O24 that was from the era. Still runs like a champ.

/ Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw #4  
Same thing happened on my Poulan. It's been that way for over a year. I can still get it on an off with the help of channel-locks but it's a pain. Every time I use it (which is rare), I tell myself to call Poulan customer support and complain about it. I always forget. However, I am calling as soon as I finish this message.

Drago

/ Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw #5  
Yes, both my gas cap and oil filler cap are difficult to remove. The air filter also does not fit properly; allowing saw dust to get into the carb. I have not been happy with this purchase, and although inexpensive, it was not a good value. I spoke with their customer service, and they were not helpful. I have tried to purchase replacement air filters and have not been able to find them.
I do not think these folks will be calling me any time soon to endorse their product. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw #6  
I also fould some of my machines the gas cap/primer bulb and whatever is in contact with fuel has changed it's shape..I wonder if it's related to some fuels having 10% alcohol in them..I know I act differently with 10% alcohol in me??!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Same thing happened on my Poulan. However, I am calling as soon as I finish this message.

Drago )</font>

Hey How about telling them to send me a NEW one too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mine actually screwed back in this weekend, cooler temps it goes better.

as for the air cleaner, mine works well and I have it off and on in a snap. I'm happy with them for the price I paid, (138 for rthe 18" and 47.00 for the 14" K-Mart close out I should have bought 2 at that price! the 14" seems to run like crazy.

One thing I've noticed that I like to buy "Re-conditioned stuff" which whil maybe has a bit of run time on them they are repaired by guys knowing what they should be run like and tweekeing them the right way to fix what every problem might have been wrong when it was returned...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw #8  
I have had my Poulan 16" for 4 years now, and no problem with the gas cap, only i do have to lossen it with channel locks ,but then it screws in and out with no trouble.

/ Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw #9  
Spiker,

I have a McCullah (sp?) chainsaw that the oil cap will not seal. I don't think it is in the cap though. It actually looks like the "neck" on the oil tank is warped. One other poster mentioned that he forgets about his until he uses it. I am the same way. Got mine out this past weekend and ended up with oil all over me. It's ok if you can cut everything with the oil/tank facing up.

Fig

/ Gas Cap Expanded and wont fit, Poulan Chainsaw
I have a 12~14" mcCulluch spelling/ too it is OLD like a 70 or so. it was my GF's dads orriginal owner. it was setting 15 yrs, I cleaned it up put chain back on new gas & it fired up after a small bit of tinkering to get it going wouldn't run right though very poor. so after pulling off carb & cleaning it intrenally & re-assy it stillwa sn't right, then my brother worked it over got it going good but it cracked the coil after it's first good running session. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif it still runs for a few then cuts out...

for a seal on warpped one I think I would add a section of rubber intertube to help it seal...

MarkM