Gas station’s diesel pump nozzle too big?

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
I buy my diesel 5 gallons at a time. Finally the gas station 1/2 mile from my house installed a diesel pump. No more nervous travel of can in trunk from 10 miles away. Or so I thought.

I take my typical standard diesel can to nearby store and find that the nozzle on the diesel pump is too big to fit in. It has a “flair” on the end of the nozzle. I can’t even cheat it without fuel spraying with escaping air out of can. My can is a typical yellow plastic fuel can that has “diesel” printed in it. Has a opening that’s same size as probably 99% of fuel cans. There are no warnings at pump that say “Don’t fill cans”.
I go home and get a funnel for attempt #2. Fail also. Pumps too fast and sprays.

What gives? Do they make cans that can take larger nozzle? How come other station’s diesel pumps don’t have extra large nozzle?
Do some diesel pumps pump faster?

I can understand a larger nozzle so people don’t put it in gas cars, but this pump is away from gas island. Are there special “big truck” high volume diesel pumps?

The good news is it close enough I can just drive tractor there.

Buppies

Tractor
Kubota L5240 Toro 60inch Z Master 21 inch walk behind Polaris 900 hunter edition 30in toro walk behind
There are auto diesel pumps and big truck diesel pumps nozzles to be correct and yes they are higher volume I generally steer clear of truck stops for my F250 and wife痴 car both diesel. Our 250 will take large nozzle but hard to get out

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
The typical diesel nozzle it just a 1" round. Must be something new.

AWSubie

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 2N, Kioti NX5010 HST Cab
If you decide you don’t want to drive the tractor in the future, just buy a reducer pipe (probably 2” to 1”) and put a 6” length of 2” hose on one end and a 6” length of 1” hose on the other end and then you’ll have a nifty adapter to slip on the nozzle when u go to fill your can.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Re: Gas station痴 diesel pump nozzle too big?

As others have said that's a high speed nozzle for big trucks or equipment operators with bulk tanks, who are each buying more diesel at once than most of us use in a year.

mddorange

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Kubota L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, Loaded rear tires, LP RCR 1860 5' Cutter, LP RTA 1258 5' Tiller, LP PFL 2042 Pallet Forks w/60" Extensions, KK BB60 Box Blade, KK PHD-12" Post Hole Digger
There are auto diesel pumps and big truck diesel pumps nozzles to be correct and yes they are higher volume I generally steer clear of truck stops for my F250 and wifeç—´ car both diesel. Our 250 will take large nozzle but hard to get out
Buppies is 100% correct. The larger nozzle is for big trucks and the smaller one is for cars.

I got a 5 gallon plastic can that has a big enough opening that it will take the larger nozzle.

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
I buy my diesel 5 gallons at a time. Finally the gas station 1/2 mile from my house installed a diesel pump. No more nervous travel of can in trunk from 10 miles away. Or so I thought.

I take my typical standard diesel can to nearby store and find that the nozzle on the diesel pump is too big to fit in. It has a “flair” on the end of the nozzle. I can’t even cheat it without fuel spraying with escaping air out of can. My can is a typical yellow plastic fuel can that has “diesel” printed in it. Has a opening that’s same size as probably 99% of fuel cans. There are no warnings at pump that say “Don’t fill cans”.
I go home and get a funnel for attempt #2. Fail also. Pumps too fast and sprays.

What gives? Do they make cans that can take larger nozzle? How come other station’s diesel pumps don’t have extra large nozzle?
Do some diesel pumps pump faster?

I can understand a larger nozzle so people don’t put it in gas cars, but this pump is away from gas island. Are there special “big truck” high volume diesel pumps?

The good news is it close enough I can just drive tractor there.

Normally there is a large one on one side and smaller one on the other.. Guess they didn't bother..

bunyip

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 5810 HST
Recently I saw a pump with two speeds, car and truck, one outlet and you select, diesel is like pouring beer, a lot of froth at high speed, have not seen the bigger nozzle though.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I have four - WWll style - steel - Jerry cans. They could easily take a 2 1/2" nozzle. So glad I brought them with us when we moved down from Alaska.

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
Yes the large nozzle is a higher volume one,I can get it in my RAM but it is hard to just barely get the hand valve to open for a slow fill and on the full volume opening the auto nozzle shuts off almost as soon as it start.