Gate post metal type?

/ Gate post metal type? #1  

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
I want to install a new gate post made of steel. I had access to "oil field pipe" where I used to live and it was great for fence building. It didn't rust to failure like the "standard" grade steel from the suppliers. I'm not sure the grade but I'm betting someone on here does! I'm after something that won't rust and fail when set in concrete and or fail at ground level if some water/snow migrates in through any penetrations.

Spare me the stainless, hot dipped, powder coated or other exotic metal that simply isn't realistic for this application.

Thank you in advance for the help.

/ Gate post metal type? #2  
   / Gate post metal type?
Good info about the steel. I'll ask the supplier if they can get the EN 10025-5 steel. The post I want will need to be heavy wall and bigger than 4". The gate is large and the design relies solely on one post.

/ Gate post metal type? #4  
A more common steel that doesn't rust away easily is railroad rail.

Get 3 or 4 pieces of the same size. Weld them together at the base edges for a strong, rigid post.

4-rail post:

4railpost.jpg

Bruce

/ Gate post metal type? #5  
That should be a heavy enough "post". An 8' length of 4-rail post would weigh almost 1500 pounds.

/ Gate post metal type?
I'm looking for something I can get from my local supplier and can be cut and moved with normal equipment. The railroad tie, while awesome, would put me way over my skis with weight, availability and tools/equipment.

/ Gate post metal type? #7  
I would think that a single railroad rail would take a lot of weight before it would bend. How heavy is this gate?

/ Gate post metal type? #8  
I've seen a 3 railroad track post... certain it will last as long as the pyramids...

/ Gate post metal type? #9  
I would think that a single railroad rail would take a lot of weight before it would bend. How heavy is this gate?

Single rails are surprisingly flexible. That's why I suggested 3 or 4 welded together.

maxresdefault.jpg

Bruce