Gator Overheating, fan doesn't come on

/ Gator Overheating, fan doesn't come on #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I recently acquired a 2000 TH6X4 Diesel Gator.

A little rough, just under 2000 hours, manual dump (I need to work on that - the wife can't operate the dump even when empty).

After using it for 20 mins to a half hour the temp light came on. Turns out the cooling fan isn't working. To trouble-shoot, I'm wondering how it's supposed to function - is it thermostatically controlled or is it just supposed to run whenever the ignition is on?

BTW, the thing is a beast! Especially with the differential locked!! Just don't bother trying to steer it with the differential locked...

/ Gator Overheating, fan doesn't come on #2  
I don't know these things. But does the fan spin free? Do you know where the thermostic electric switch is for the fan? If you short that, the fan should run. There may be a relay too. How is the coolant level. On some UTVs, the cooling system can get air pockets and if the thermoswitch is not submersed in liquid, it may not operate.

/ Gator Overheating, fan doesn't come on #3  
You might consider purchasing a OEM Tech Manual for your Gator. They can normally be found on eBay.

/ Gator Overheating, fan doesn't come on
Great idea. Thanks!

/ Gator Overheating, fan doesn't come on #5  
I’m fairly sure the fan is controlled by thermostat AND runs when your ignition is on.

Holy Moly are those things expensive! Up to $200 for a new one.

Got a PDF version for $5.

One question answered:
Radiator Core Temperature Switch (Operates Fan Motor):
Continuity (Closes). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 70ー ア 14ー C (160ー ア 7ー F)
No Continuity (Opens) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60ー ア 14ー C (140ー ア 7ー F)

I was wondering if they bothered with thermostatic control since there is never any natural airflow over the radiator.

/ Gator Overheating, fan doesn't come on #7  
My gas version was controlled by a temperature

If u don稚 want to spend money, just wire directly to ignition or a switch (that you don稚 forget!)

/ Gator Overheating, fan doesn't come on #8  
If the ICE gators are the same as my Electric Gator, you could be in for a terrible shock, anytime you want parts. I thought, maybe it was just mine, since it comes more under the TURF product range.

Just looked up some records. A short splined axle shaft for my E-Gator (maybe 3/4" O.D. ) costs $2217.00 CDN from the dealer. Fortunately, I had a whole spare transaxle.

Last edited:
Just looked up some records. A short splined axle shaft for my E-Gator (maybe 3/4" O.D. ) costs $2217.00 CDN from the dealer. Fortunately, I had a whole spare transaxle.

Um, I guess I would be scrapping mine! That's ludicrous!!

/ Gator Overheating, fan doesn't come on #10  
the fan sensor is located in the radiator. Neighbor has one(late 90s) it got to overheating because the water pump crapped out. Part diagrams are available on the internet. The gas model cooling systems are a little different. There are some Youtube videos dealing with the diesel 6x4 too. The radiator is under the passenger seat and that big plastic panel has to com off, you have to pull the parking brake handle up to remove the panel. Radiator cap on his was in the upper radiator hose. later models may differ. One other thing, when filling cooling system make sure to get all the air out of it.