Gazebo/ Judge's Stand

/ Gazebo/ Judge's Stand #1  

Barnbuilder

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat A300, Kubota F3680, JCB 212S sold
I have to build a gazebo/judging stand at an equestrian facility. Very good customer. I was wanting to pour concrete piers and attach the base to the piers. Basically it would be a deck attached to the piers with a roof. The piers at the front will only be about 8" out of the ground and maybe 20" at the rear. I don't see the point of using posts. But how do I attach the base to the piers? Simpson has brackets but they're about $170 ea. They have some small "L" brackets but I dont think they're large enough. So should I get some large angle and make some brackets?

Structure will be 12'x20'. I was thinking 4 piers front and rear along the 20'. That way I could offset the joint on the double 2"x10 girder. Run a 2x10 at 10' front to rear. Then the joists will run from end to middle. I was planning on using 2x6s or 2x8s 12' long for the floor. Its cheaper than decking boards which I hate. Thoughts?

Thanks
Greg

Last edited:
   / Gazebo/ Judge's Stand
Yes OandT. And they're not rated for ground contact so they don't last. Just rebuilt a deck last summer that was 7 years old and rotted.

/ Gazebo/ Judge's Stand
The guy that built my trailer had some 3-1/2"x5" angle. Had him cut 4" pieces and pop a 1/2" hole in each leg. I think that will be plenty strong.

/ Gazebo/ Judge's Stand #5  
Here's a gazebo I built about 10 years ago.

DSCF0004 (Small).JPGDSCF0003 (Small).JPGDSCF0002 (Small).JPG

I poured concrete footings with embedded Simpson post brackets for 4x6 lumber.

Good luck

/ Gazebo/ Judge's Stand #6  
... I was wanting to pour concrete piers and attach the base to the piers. Basically it would be a deck attached to the piers with a roof. The piers at the front will only be about 8" out of the ground and maybe 20" at the rear. I don't see the point of using posts. But how do I attach the base to the piers? ...

For my gazebo and porches, I drill a 3 foot deep, 12 inch wide hole in the ground and put a 5 foot length of C channel in the center of it. Then I cut a section of Sonotube to height where I want the post to rest on top of the concrete pad. The C channel is in the center of the hole, but at the edge of the pad. Then I drill holes in the C channel for my threaded rod. I place the post on top of the pad and drill through the entire post and bolt it all together.

Something similar should work for what you are wanting to do.

36.JPG

/ Gazebo/ Judge's Stand
Now trying to decide on Sonotubes or building a square box and pour the entire thing with concrete. That way if she wants to cover with rock later its possible.

/ Gazebo/ Judge's Stand
Finally got started on this. Seems its trained for 3 days every week. That and my fire dept schedule havent helped. So bored 15" holes 3' deep and built 15" square forms. Used pea gravel aggregate in concrete. My trailer guy cut some 3"x5" angle for me. Did a mock up of roof so customer could get an idea what it looked like.

20200304_160910.jpg

20200309_170633.jpg

20200311_181717.jpg

20200311_085206.jpg

/ Gazebo/ Judge's Stand
Waiting on metal.

IMG_41851.jpg

/ Gazebo/ Judge's Stand
IMG_41661.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_41851.jpg
    IMG_41851.jpg