GC 2400 Got hot.

/ GC 2400 Got hot. #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
I was mulching leaves with my MMM and it was pulling pretty hard and I noticed the gauge was showing hot. The grill down below the steering wheel was pretty dusty so I wiped it off and started it to cool off and it did a little but was still just below hot. I drove over to the barn and got the electric blower and started blowing it off and saw that the plastic flap that goes over the battery was down in front of the radiator. I cleaned the screen in front of the radiator and I moved it and blew everything off and all was well. Finished mulching the leaves with no problem. What is the purpose of that little sheet of plastic. If it has some great value say so because I am fixing to cut it OFF. I thought I would point this problem out it might save someone some trouble. Ed

/ GC 2400 Got hot. #2  
As near as I can figure, it's just a kind of rain shield for the battery, as well as an extra layer of insulation over the positive terminal. If something were to fall out of the FEL and land on the hood there, I suppose there might be a risk of denting the hood downward enough to hit the battery??:confused3:

/ GC 2400 Got hot.
As near as I can figure, it's just a kind of rain shield for the battery, as well as an extra layer of insulation over the positive terminal. If something were to fall out of the FEL and land on the hood there, I suppose there might be a risk of denting the hood downward enough to hit the battery??:confused3:

Thanks for the reply, I have been busy with other things but it will soon be in the trash, I din't want that to happen again Ed

/ GC 2400 Got hot. #4  
Thanks for the reply, I have been busy with other things but it will soon be in the trash, I din't want that to happen again Ed

Yes it is meant to keep the battery dry. Which I guess it does, just bad luck in your case blocking air flow. My GC2310 had one, my GC1710 does not.