GC owners get the skid plate

/ GC owners get the skid plate #1  

blackd

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FX24D replaced with Massey GC2400
I did not, but do now have the skid plate for my GC2400. I knocked the hydraulic filter off the tractor, and when this happens it often takes the filter nipple with it. That nipple is cast into the front transmission plate. The traditional repair is to replace the plate, and it is expensive. There is an alternative kit which taps the broken nipple to insert a replacement. This is only possible if the plate has not been destroyed around the nipple. I chose option 1 at $2K+ with the book showing 14 hours labor.

I could have opted for option 2, the drill and tap replacement $80 nipple kit, but wanted that option done without the threat of having drill/tap shavings introduced to the transmission. My preferred approach would not have shaved much off the labor costs, but would have saved the $500-700 plate cost.

BTW, dealer wouldn't do option 2 and wouldn't even install the 3rd party skid plate. I do have a local mechanic for options, but chose the dealer. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have hesitated to try it myself, but now at 78 with a bum knee and heart problems, it's no longer an option.

Now that the tractor is fixed I need to fix myself, the knee.

UPDATE
Since writing this article I installed the skid plate. It took ~ 1 hour with most time spent in learning curve. It's very simple. Remove 2 nuts from rear of tractor. Hook the included u-bolt over the brake shaft. Lift the skid plate with a floor jack. Align plate with bolts. Then attack from which ever end, front/back, by starting nuts. Leave loose to adjust. Tighten all four nuts. Put your stuff away.

Go have lunch.

Last edited:
   / GC owners get the skid plate #2  
ouch.
I feel your pain.
literally.
6-7-22 due for nerve blocks in knees to stave off ( GO ARMY!!) 2 replacements.
and yeah, I got a state tax rebate coming which is dedicated to a shield for this GC2400 of mine.

/ GC owners get the skid plate #3  
UPDATE
Since writing this article I installed the skid plate. It took ~ 1 hour with most time spent in learning curve. It's very simple. Remove 2 nuts from rear of tractor. Hook the included u-bolt over the brake shaft. Lift the skid plate with a floor jack. Align plate with bolts. Then attack from which ever end, front/back, by starting nuts. Leave loose to adjust. Tighten all four nuts. Put your stuff away.

Go have lunch.
what plate you go with?
that sounds like the bro-tek one.

/ GC owners get the skid plate