gc1720 wont start, whistle noise and lots of balck smoke.

/ gc1720 wont start, whistle noise and lots of balck smoke. #1  

Ooklaa

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson gc1720
so yesterday my tractor worked just fine today i go to start it and its making a weird high pitch noise and blowing black smoke just before it dies. wont even run for 5 seconds. tractor only got 123 hrs on it. youtube video below.

gc1720 wont start - YouTube

/ gc1720 wont start, whistle noise and lots of balck smoke. #2  
Have you opened the hood and looked?
Have someone else turn the key and take a close look under the hood.
It sounds like something is seized and the belt is slipping.

/ gc1720 wont start, whistle noise and lots of balck smoke.
yea man, nothing looks out of place. oil level is good, air filter is good. ill go triple check the it again. and take a video of the hood open when trying to start it.

/ gc1720 wont start, whistle noise and lots of balck smoke. #4  
Get your eyes and ears right in close to the belt while someone else turns the key.
Is the alternator turning?
The water pump?
It sounds like a belt slipping across a fixed object.

don't have no one to help me so I did the best I can with the video. the fan def makes a noise when spinning manually. belt has some play, but don't know what is normal when it comes to tractors. belt looks in excellent condition also. so not sure what has seized. its under warranty, but I'm def pissed that this thin is giving me problems like this.

massey ferguson - YouTube

don't have no one to help me so I did the best I can with the video. the fan def makes a noise when spinning manually. belt has some play, but don't know what is normal when it comes to tractors. belt looks in excellent condition also. so not sure what has seized. its under warranty, but I'm def pissed that this thin is giving me problems like this.

massey ferguson - YouTube

/ gc1720 wont start, whistle noise and lots of balck smoke. #7  
Black smoke could be the result of a fuel issue (too much). Check to make sure your fuel lines aren't open, leaking, loose, or allowing air in.

/ gc1720 wont start, whistle noise and lots of balck smoke. #8  
The black smoke is the result of the engine being bogged down by what ever is causing the noise.
I would loosen the fan belt completely and start the engine for just a few seconds. If the noise disappears, then you KNOW that it is either the alt or water pump etc.
If the noise is still there it could be that the starter is not trowing out or there is a blockage in the hydraulic system.
Don't run the engine with the belt loose for more than several seconds.

/ gc1720 wont start, whistle noise and lots of balck smoke. #9  
Check your exhaust. I wonder if it's plugged. Sounds like it starts and black smoke starts blowing out from everywhere. Noise could be the exhaust trying to escape leak between parts.

/ gc1720 wont start, whistle noise and lots of balck smoke. #10  
The black smoke is the result of the engine being bogged down by what ever is causing the noise.
I would loosen the fan belt completely and start the engine for just a few seconds. If the noise disappears, then you KNOW that it is either the alt or water pump etc.
If the noise is still there it could be that the starter is not trowing out or there is a blockage in the hydraulic system.
Don't run the engine with the belt loose for more than several seconds.
I have to agree, the black smoke is probably the engine bring bogged down. The question is what is causing it. The squeel sounds like a belt. Following this logic would suggest a bearing locked up in something. If you have a cab on it, the first suspect for me would be the air conditioner. Air conditioner have cause lots of troubles in cars trucks and yes tractors. The next culprits I would think are the water pump and the alternator. Most of the time a water pump will leak but not necessarily. Generally an alternator will turn ok and you won't know you have a problem until you have a dead battery. However, this is not always the case. If the bearings went out on the alternator and the alternator locked up, your tractor would act real similar to the way your tractor is acting.