"Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about??

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about?? #1  

Anonymous Poster

\"Gear\" Instrument Light, whats it all about??

I have a Shibaura D23F (grey) that I bought about a month ago. I have put quite a number of hours on it in the first few weeks. Last weekend, I checked the hydraulic/trans oil level (had to find it first). Level was OK, but figured I'd do it a favor by topping it off. I picked up fluid from my local Cenex, it is labeled as Quicklift HTB, universal transmission hydraulic oil, and according to the lable should mix with factory oils. The dealer had changed the oil before I bought the rig. Took maybe 1-2 quarts, probably wasnt needed. Noticed that the fluid was green (looked like a dye or tint), didn't think much of it.

Next day, I fire up the rig, and start moving a couple of truckloads of gravel with the fel. After maybe 1/2 hour of operation, a "gear" indicator light (gear shaped) comes on on the IP, I assume this is for the transmission. It started coming on any time the engine RPM was above about 1600. I shut the rig down, and check the trans oil level again. Oil on the dipstick doesn't look right, kind of "milky". I pulled the drain plug, oil that drained was nasty looking, looked like engine oil with water in in. I'm wondering if there is a comatability problem with the 2 fluids.

I went to my local NAPA, bought 10 gallons of their Premium Universal Tractor Fluid (Hytrans). Filled the case, things seemed fine, I ran her for about 45 minutes, no light, thinking things are good. That was last Sunday.

Today (Saturday) I fired up the rig and went to move some more gravel. After about 1/2 hour the light is on again, when engine rpm is above about 1600. Oil on the dipstick looks fine to me, both color and level.

Questions:

1) What is the "gear" light telling me? Is this temperature, low fluid level, or something else. Everything is in Japanese.

2) Dealer had used Havoline fluid I believe (need to call him). He did indicate it was just a hy-trans fluid, not ATF. Any possibility of a compatability problem?

3) What have I done to my baby??? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Brian

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about?? #2  
Re: \"Gear\" Instrument Light, whats it all about??

Brian,on our MF 698 the gear with a large drop in the center is the transmission oil pressure warning light,another gear on the IP has a two small drops one above the other is the hydraulic transmission filter warning light.If the oil looked fine until you added the Quick lift I would suspect a compatability problem and would try to get an analysis done to see whats going on. Try changing the filter it might have plugged up with whatever was in there. Hope this helps.

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about?? #3  

on my ford 8000 there is a little light that is shaped like a gear, it is supposed to be the low power steering fluid light, but it hasnt worked the time i have owned the tractor. the reaon they have a warning light i believe is because the 8000 has a full hydroulic steering system, no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels, so if ya lost all the fluid it wouldnt have any steering. im not sure if thats what your light is, but thats what my gear light is for

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about?? #4  

On my rig the gear is the engine oil light and is supposed to come on if oil pressure is below a preset limit.

You didn't say how many hours are on the proof meter.

Could be a clogged/defective oil filter, clogged pick up screen or worn out oil pump.

I would put a gauge on it and see exactly what the oil pressure is at various RPM's.

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about?? #5  

Did you replace the filter when you replaced the mucky fluid?