Generic stone boat pics

/ Generic stone boat pics #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
Over the years, I've seen many thread questions on how to build a stone boat and what they look like. That's how you get rocks out of fields the easy way. These are off the 'net and if you don't know how a stone boat looks, here they are. I'm no expert but picked lots in the glacial till of northern New England. No more.

2713ADB2-AD2E-4B43-9873-3AAFBB85A9FF_4_5005_c.jpeg
Above is a picture of the front half a stone boat. Note the turned up steel end to slide better and keep from digging in. Heavy steel with holes to bolt 2" planks to. Hardwood best and note the cross bracing. It's usually 2" planks and hardwood like maple or oak preferred. Use carriage bolts or the bolt heads dig in and catch on things.

4263952C-9FCA-4B90-88AF-30D884313D31.jpeg
Above is a closeup of that turned up front that's commercially made. It better be rugged with a strong point to hook up the chain. Ir's easy to make one if you have a shop bend the steel plate. Just do it right or fail under hard use.

052A6F73-AFA6-4C8F-BAB5-E5523FACEBCA_4_5005_c.jpeg
Here's a beautifully made commercial version and looks the same as the one above. At this length no cross piece is needed but a six or seven footer would need a 2X piece of wood for bracing support and to keep rocks from sliding off. Also put a 2X at the tail end. I can't recall a stone boat longer than maybe 7 or 8 foot and most were maybe 6 foot. Rocks are heavy and really offer sliding resistance when pulling.

C01AEBC7-BFD2-4916-B57B-68B51DA03ED0.jpeg
I've seen a couple like these over the years but mostly for lesser use and smaller rocks since you have to lift them on. For just a few rocks, old car hoods work as does anything that pulls and slides. We finally switched to loader, a dump truck and four boys to pick.

/ Generic stone boat pics #2  
Here is mine

Adjustments.jpg

/ Generic stone boat pics #5  
First pics brings back memories when I was tad pole,load the boat steer par oxen add to stonewall...stone boat also good for hauling BIG chunks of wood.

/ Generic stone boat pics #7  
When my brother-in-law was maybe 12 years old, he and all of his friends got a job "picking rocks" at a local farm. Farmer would drive them out in the field on the back of a trailer, and stop when they saw rocks. They'd jump off, pick them up, put them on the trailer, hop back on and on to the next. Had about half a dozen kids the first couple days. They all quit by the end of the week, except my brother-in-law. He worked on that farm many summers through high school.

/ Generic stone boat pics #8  
When my brother-in-law was maybe 12 years old, he and all of his friends got a job "picking rocks" at a local farm. Farmer would drive them out in the field on the back of a trailer, and stop when they saw rocks. They'd jump off, pick them up, put them on the trailer, hop back on and on to the next. Had about half a dozen kids the first couple days. They all quit by the end of the week, except my brother-in-law. He worked on that farm many summers through high school.

At least they could avoid doing it in the summer, the rocks don't slough off chaff, and you don't have to stack em in a barn. Do kids even bale hay any more?

/ Generic stone boat pics #9  
At least they could avoid doing it in the summer, the rocks don't slough off chaff, and you don't have to stack em in a barn. Do kids even bale hay any more?

Not around here. One person on a machine with a round baler and that's that. Truck comes to field with bobcat and loads it up.

I have a friend that still does good old "normal" hay bales. Just him and his wife. She drives. He stacks.

/ Generic stone boat pics #10  
Peanut (dried vine) hay was the worst, like loading briars. Throw in a baled-in fire ant bed for good measure.