Getting baler 12v power from tractor

/ Getting baler 12v power from tractor #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
My new square baler has a fan that blows off the knotters and I'm trying to figure out which way I should wire it. I have a John Deere style 3-prong plug in the cab and I have a 7-pin round semi-trailer style plug on the back of the tractor. There's no controller just needs constant power to the fan. The baler just has a pigtail on it right now so either way I have to get a plug. I feel like I'd rather use the more robust trailer plug and not have to run a cable through the cab wall (has the access ports, I'd just have to run it through) where I'll probably be tangling my self in the cord but is there any reason to use the 3-prong plug?

/ Getting baler 12v power from tractor #2  
I would just use your 7 pin ag plug.

/ Getting baler 12v power from tractor #3  
Small square or big square?
I would check the amperage requirements for the knotter fan. Both of mine have knotter fans, but are driven by hydraulic pump and belt off the baler flywheel.
If the amperage draw on the electric fan is 30 amps and your 3 prong plug is 30, then its adequate.
Don’t you need your 7 prong outlet for your trailer lights, turn signals, etc on your baler?
As far as having wires and harnesses run into the cab, thats pretty common.

/ Getting baler 12v power from tractor
Small square or big square?
I would check the amperage requirements for the knotter fan. Both of mine have knotter fans, but are driven by hydraulic pump and belt off the baler flywheel.
If the amperage draw on the electric fan is 30 amps and your 3 prong plug is 30, then its adequate.
Don’t you need your 7 prong outlet for your trailer lights, turn signals, etc on your baler?
As far as having wires and harnesses run into the cab, thats pretty common.
Not sure why I wasn’t notified of posts to this thread…

Anyway, small squareMassey in-line. Baler has no other lights right now, was considering adding work lights but it’s hard enough to keep humidity low enough in the bales without going past sunset so probably not. The massy manual is super unhelpful on the electric and hydraulic side of things, I may have to look straight at the motor and see what amps. I do have the bulkheads in the tractor for access, the plug inside though is in a bad spot in my mind and I think I’d get myself tangled or pull it out too often.

/ Getting baler 12v power from tractor #5  
If you use the 7 way trailer plug, make sure all the wires are active. Not every pin might be connected on the tractor end.

Many just have ground, right left, taillight connected. If that's the case, wire your plug with ground and taillight, just turn your headlights/taillights on to run the fan.

My (round) baler has the 7 way for lights and a separate twist lock for the control box as part of the factory set up. Predated any of the newer integral stuff.

That control box came with a 12V lead that runs right to the battery.