Loader getting the most out of your fel

/ getting the most out of your fel #1  

spitter

Platinum Member
Tractor
simplicity legacy tc29d,Tc45d,Cs 2520
I was wondering if any one ever lifted with their fel with no bucket or forks on it .I have a ssqa was thinking to get a flat plate and weld some hooks on it.This way I can increase my lifting capacity by lifting closer to pins and not adding the weight of the bucket or forks.My loader is a 7308 and is pretty weak.:drink:

/ getting the most out of your fel #2  
That sounds like it would work, other than you may lose a little height.

/ getting the most out of your fel #3  
I regularly take the forks off my frame to help with lifting. My Artillian frame has chain slots in the upper and lower rails in addition to the built in receiver hitch.

/ getting the most out of your fel #4  
I was wondering if any one ever lifted with their fel with no bucket or forks on it .I have a ssqa was thinking to get a flat plate and weld some hooks on it.This way I can increase my lifting capacity by lifting closer to pins and not adding the weight of the bucket or forks.My loader is a 7308 and is pretty weak.:drink:

Yes. It does work well. Depending on what you want to lift and how, I think that one could even make a lifting plate that would put the lifting point even with or aft of the pins maybe one of our mechanical engineer friends could tell us if putting the weight close to the cylinder lift points on the boom might increase lift even more?
1 clamp_on_forks2.jpg

/ getting the most out of your fel #5  
Yep, will work mathematically just like you'd expect.

Another trick to gaining lift capacity with the bucket is weld a hook to the back side of the bucket so you are lifting at or behind the SSQA.

/ getting the most out of your fel #6  
Yep, will work mathematically just like you'd expect.

Another trick to gaining lift capacity with the bucket is weld a hook to the back side of the bucket so you are lifting at or behind the SSQA.

What I thought. If height is an issue the lifting plate could be made higher than the SSQA top plates and open at the bottom to permit load swing aft during the lift.

/ getting the most out of your fel #7  
What I thought. If height is an issue the lifting plate could be made higher than the SSQA top plates and open at the bottom to permit load swing aft during the lift.

Yep. I've never saw anyone build one. Anxious to see how it turns out!!!

/ getting the most out of your fel #8  
Yep. I've never saw anyone build one. Anxious to see how it turns out!!!

Got me thinking on that - I have another 20x40x9'-walled workshop to build so I will be using my 1 hour cobbled together gin-pole to lift the trusses into position. Maybe I'll work something like this up instead and make a permanent gin-pole to use for whatever as the needs arise. Use 2-2" receivers to connect a double arm square tubing gin-pole to the plate so it can be removed later and then could use the receiver(s) for hooks for straight lifts with the same plate. etc.

I don't have any issues lifting the trusses with what I cobbled together for the project, they are plenty light even with the added arm out there, but another implement is always nice to have - especially on that is pretty easy and fun to build.

using boom on shop 2.jpg

/ getting the most out of your fel #9  
Oh man, you should see my cobbled up jib........ OSHA would have a screaming fit...... :)

20160510_151402 (1280x720).jpg

/ getting the most out of your fel #10  
The only downside to a bare SSQA plate is it won’t stand on its own so you will likely need to wrestle it to attach. This could easily be remedied by welding on some lightweight legs to hold it upright when not attached.