glowplug question for a fx32d

/ glowplug question for a fx32d #1  

wendelin

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 185
I ordered glowplugs for my fx32d 4x4 tractor the other day. The problem I have ran into is that the new plugs are not like the old ones. The new one are going to be a little longer. Maybe as much as a 1/2 inch. Do you think it will be ok? Dealer said that it probably be fine.
thanks
wendelin

Attachments

• glowplug-1.jpg
    glowplug-1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 147
  • glowplug-2.jpg
    glowplug-2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 148
   / glowplug question for a fx32d #2  
I believe I would loosely hold a small object in the glow plug hole that exceeds the length of the replacement glow plug by approximately 1/4 inch and have someone turn the engine over at least one complete revolution. If the piston does not touch the object you are holding, you can safely assume you have adequate clearance for the replacement glow plug.
Make sure the fuel is turned of to insure the engine will not start. In the interest of a safe experiment, I would recommend that you remove all the glow plugs to insure that your engine does not start. You may also want to wear safety goggles to prevent any fuel mist residue from your eyes that could remain in the combustion chamber.
Maybe some other folks have a better idea.

/ glowplug question for a fx32d #3  
wendelin said:
I ordered glowplugs for my fx32d 4x4 tractor the other day. The problem I have ran into is that the new plugs are not like the old ones. The new one are going to be a little longer. Maybe as much as a 1/2 inch. Do you think it will be ok? Dealer said that it probably be fine.
thanks
wendelin

The correct NGK plug should have Y1061 on the plug and 6525 on the box that it came in.

Danny

/ glowplug question for a fx32d #4  
You have to measure from the top of the threads when it is screwed into the head. If the total length is 1/2" longer it looks as if the length inside may be 1" longer.

/ glowplug question for a fx32d #5  
I replaced them in my FX24. They were longer looking, but I think the difference is that shoulder on the old version. Line the end of the nuts together and see if they are not much closer than first appearing.

/ glowplug question for a fx32d
1danny said:
The correct NGK plug should have Y1061 on the plug and 6525 on the box that it came in.

Danny
Yes that what the box and plug say. Y 106-1 on plug and 6525 on box. I plan to work on it tomorrow. I think it will be ok.
thanks for the info.
wendelin

Ok I still haveing some trouble. I can not get the new plugs to screw in the hole. Old plug will screw in but the new one does not seem to want to catch the thread. How much dissamble do I have to do to the motor? Should I take the valve cover off?
As a side not I noticed that it has two places to fill the oil. I almost wonder if I have the right engine in my tractor? Or do they use this engine in several tractors?
thanks
wendelin

I took the valve cover off and I could get to the glow plugs easer. But my glow plugs do not screw in all the was. They feel like they bottom out. I have half of the threads sticking out the top. Any ideas???
thanks
wendelin

/ glowplug question for a fx32d #9  
wendelin said:
I took the valve cover off and I could get to the glow plugs easer. But my glow plugs do not screw in all the was. They feel like they bottom out. I have half of the threads sticking out the top. Any ideas???
thanks
wendelin

Everything looks right to me. Notice the new glow plugs have almost two times the thread length. If the new plugs are turning in about the same amount as the old ones then you should be fine. You are going to have more threads showing on the new ones then you did on the old ones.

/ glowplug question for a fx32d #10  
That's they way they are supposed to work. You installed it correctly! Stop worrying and crank'er up.