Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #1  

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
Case MXT/Ford 2000/Mahindra 6025
Hey All,

While I post under a different username around here from time to time. I don't want to use that username as my STBXW knows it and I don't want her seeing it immediately.

I am originally from the foothills of the Ozark mountains, where I graduated high school with less than 100 people in my class. Since graduating from college and during some of my advanced degrees I have lived in major cities all the way to having a home in New York City and both costs. I have spent the last few years primarily on the west coast though, and hate it here, especially with all of the liberal idiots that are moving too close to me.

Ok so here are the details.

Absolute #1 is must have high speed internet access that isn't wireless, and I greatly prefer two providers that aren't wireless. I work in the technology industry and this can't be negotiated.

1. Mostly warm climate is required, other than Montana or Wyoming(which would take something very special and very large).
2. Within 30-45 minutes of a mid-sized corporate jet terminal and <90 minutes from a top 25 airport for commercial flights with a decent international presence.
3. Good education system without the need for private schools.
4. Good location for horses, I have show horses, would like to have more of a garden etc. Right now I have 1ac less than a couple of miles to a newish NFL stadium, I have horses and a garden right now in a large city lol.
5. A good area for business, no tax hell hole such as California, New York, etc.
6. A good employee talent base available.

These are some greatly desired things.

1. Either on a coast, GoM or within an hour or two of, perfect world would be something on a freshwater river within a 30-45 minute boat ride to the GoM in a decent area.
2. Reasonably close to at least some culture that isn't a Disney(I don't consider Orlando culture lol).
3. Would like to spend 400k-750k.
4. I would take a small house/lot on a canal with a horse property close, but haven't found that yet.

I have been looking through the listings in the south fairly extensively. For an ideal spot I would spend more but don't want to. Oklahoma and Texas are for the most part out, as is anything north of southern Arkansas. I had found a totally ideal pair of properties and the agent was a twerp so I passed, she didn't think I would walk but now that I have she has called me back almost daily.

If you have something feel free to PM me. If you have suggestions please post here.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?
you want rural but 2 wired isp solutions? lol yea good luck.

Not want, but must have. It is very rare that you can't get a DS1 pretty much any place in the nation that is wired and for a backup that will do. Also almost every cellular tower throughout the country has at least some form of T3 level connectivity to it. I don't mind paying the price but places like Nevada, west Texas, very rural Montana etc are out.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #6  
you want rural but 2 wired isp solutions? lol yea good luck.
I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, where God himself left a special presence here, and I'm lucky our DSL works 80% of the time; wouldn't live anywhere else in the world. I came here to disconnect...

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #7  
That's a tall order for a cheap price tag.... "3. Would like to spend 400k-750k..." for what? House and an acre? Plus more for your horse property?

How do you feel about hurricanes? Granted I'm pretty bias... but NC is really nice but others (unfortunately) have figuring out the same thing...

I recommend South Carolina!!!! :devilish:

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?
That's a tall order for a cheap price tag.... "3. Would like to spend 400k-750k..." for what? House and an acre? Plus more for your horse property?

How do you feel about hurricanes? Granted I'm pretty bias... but NC is really nice but others (unfortunately) have figuring out the same thing...

I recommend South Carolina!!!! :devilish:

I like North Carolina but already have some business in Williamsburg.

Land can be had cheap, I know tall order but can be found. I am willing to go double for the perfect setup. But not going to spend a million for a 1500sq ft box in the Keys.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #9  
I have been looking through the listings in the south fairly extensively. For an ideal spot I would spend more but don't want to. Oklahoma and Texas are for the most part out, as is anything north of southern Arkansas. I had found a totally ideal pair of properties and the agent was a twerp so I passed, she didn't think I would walk but now that I have she has called me back almost daily.
Let me get this straight, you seem to have very high standards for your "rural" piece of property with a lot of requirements that need to be met on your end, you actually found an ideal pair of properties in your search, but because you think the real estate agent is a twerp, you passed on them? If you were one of my sons, I'd tell them that was a boneheaded move.

Nothing in life is free, and it's all a give and take for 99% of the population. Given your price range and what you're looking for, you're in the 99% like the rest of us.

Ironically enough my wife has been writing software for the same company for over 28 years, and has been working remotely for the last 20 years. Our biggest gripe is not having fiver optic (we currently get 3 Mbps) but after we got married when we went looking for a place that fit our requirements with land, fell in love with the property and realized that nothing is perfect.

You also stated "Right now I have 1ac less than a couple of miles to a newish NFL stadium" I apologize, but exactly what does this mean?