Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
Case MXT/Ford 2000/Mahindra 6025
Hey All,

While I post under a different username around here from time to time. I don't want to use that username as my STBXW knows it and I don't want her seeing it immediately.

I am originally from the foothills of the Ozark mountains, where I graduated high school with less than 100 people in my class. Since graduating from college and during some of my advanced degrees I have lived in major cities all the way to having a home in New York City and both costs. I have spent the last few years primarily on the west coast though, and hate it here, especially with all of the liberal idiots that are moving too close to me.

Ok so here are the details.

Absolute #1 is must have high speed internet access that isn't wireless, and I greatly prefer two providers that aren't wireless. I work in the technology industry and this can't be negotiated.

1. Mostly warm climate is required, other than Montana or Wyoming(which would take something very special and very large).
2. Within 30-45 minutes of a mid-sized corporate jet terminal and <90 minutes from a top 25 airport for commercial flights with a decent international presence.
3. Good education system without the need for private schools.
4. Good location for horses, I have show horses, would like to have more of a garden etc. Right now I have 1ac less than a couple of miles to a newish NFL stadium, I have horses and a garden right now in a large city lol.
5. A good area for business, no tax hell hole such as California, New York, etc.
6. A good employee talent base available.

These are some greatly desired things.

1. Either on a coast, GoM or within an hour or two of, perfect world would be something on a freshwater river within a 30-45 minute boat ride to the GoM in a decent area.
2. Reasonably close to at least some culture that isn't a Disney(I don't consider Orlando culture lol).
3. Would like to spend 400k-750k.
4. I would take a small house/lot on a canal with a horse property close, but haven't found that yet.

I have been looking through the listings in the south fairly extensively. For an ideal spot I would spend more but don't want to. Oklahoma and Texas are for the most part out, as is anything north of southern Arkansas. I had found a totally ideal pair of properties and the agent was a twerp so I passed, she didn't think I would walk but now that I have she has called me back almost daily.

If you have something feel free to PM me. If you have suggestions please post here.

OP
T

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
you want rural but 2 wired isp solutions? lol yea good luck.

Not want, but must have. It is very rare that you can't get a DS1 pretty much any place in the nation that is wired and for a backup that will do. Also almost every cellular tower throughout the country has at least some form of T3 level connectivity to it. I don't mind paying the price but places like Nevada, west Texas, very rural Montana etc are out.

Steppenwolfe

Tractor
Kubota MX5400, 1140 RTV
you want rural but 2 wired isp solutions? lol yea good luck.
I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, where God himself left a special presence here, and I'm lucky our DSL works 80% of the time; wouldn't live anywhere else in the world. I came here to disconnect...

old and tired

Platinum Member
Tractor
L2800 hst
That's a tall order for a cheap price tag.... "3. Would like to spend 400k-750k..." for what? House and an acre? Plus more for your horse property?

How do you feel about hurricanes? Granted I'm pretty bias... but NC is really nice but others (unfortunately) have figuring out the same thing...

I recommend South Carolina!!!! :devilish:

OP
T

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
That's a tall order for a cheap price tag.... "3. Would like to spend 400k-750k..." for what? House and an acre? Plus more for your horse property?

How do you feel about hurricanes? Granted I'm pretty bias... but NC is really nice but others (unfortunately) have figuring out the same thing...

I recommend South Carolina!!!! :devilish:

I like North Carolina but already have some business in Williamsburg.

Land can be had cheap, I know tall order but can be found. I am willing to go double for the perfect setup. But not going to spend a million for a 1500sq ft box in the Keys.

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
I have been looking through the listings in the south fairly extensively. For an ideal spot I would spend more but don't want to. Oklahoma and Texas are for the most part out, as is anything north of southern Arkansas. I had found a totally ideal pair of properties and the agent was a twerp so I passed, she didn't think I would walk but now that I have she has called me back almost daily.
Let me get this straight, you seem to have very high standards for your "rural" piece of property with a lot of requirements that need to be met on your end, you actually found an ideal pair of properties in your search, but because you think the real estate agent is a twerp, you passed on them? If you were one of my sons, I'd tell them that was a boneheaded move.

Nothing in life is free, and it's all a give and take for 99% of the population. Given your price range and what you're looking for, you're in the 99% like the rest of us.

Ironically enough my wife has been writing software for the same company for over 28 years, and has been working remotely for the last 20 years. Our biggest gripe is not having fiver optic (we currently get 3 Mbps) but after we got married when we went looking for a place that fit our requirements with land, fell in love with the property and realized that nothing is perfect.

You also stated "Right now I have 1ac less than a couple of miles to a newish NFL stadium" I apologize, but exactly what does this mean?

Doorman63

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501HST
Our current location ticks most of your boxes.

southern Illinois…….

250 fiber optic to my modem
There is wireless that caps out at 10 megs……not sure how good i

1.5hrs from St Louis

2 miles from a State Park with boating/fishing and an equestrian campground.

Education system supposedly ranks fairly well….we don’t have first hand knowledge

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Good luck with that one.
You've basically pegged it to the rural south. Very scarce GOOD education system.
Yeah, I forgot about that one. I don't however blame the teachers, but more the state, at least in NC. But hey, it helped get the state lottery in because we know all the money generated by the lottery is given to the schools after everyone else gets their cut.

Citydude

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 HSTC
Wants us rural boys to help out while hiding assets from the STBXW. Classy.

Doorman63

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501HST
Thank God the OP didn't have shooting guns on his list ;)

I’ve got a pistol range and a 200yd rifle range out back.

A neighbor about a mile away has a 400yd range.
Illinois isn’t that bad……..mostly!

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
I’ve got a pistol range and a 200yd rifle range out back.

A neighbor about a mile away has a 400yd range.
Illinois isn’t that bad……..mostly!
Never spent much time west of Pa until I hit the Rockies. So I'm ignorant on Illinois. However, having a an A- ranking on the Gifford score card doesn't make me overly enthused about the state.

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Hey All,

While I post under a different username around here from time to time. I don't want to use that username as my STBXW knows it and I don't want her seeing it immediately.

I am originally from the foothills of the Ozark mountains, where I graduated high school with less than 100 people in my class. Since graduating from college and during some of my advanced degrees I have lived in major cities all the way to having a home in New York City and both costs. I have spent the last few years primarily on the west coast though, and hate it here, especially with all of the liberal idiots that are moving too close to me.

Absolute #1 is must have high speed internet access that isn't wireless, and I greatly prefer two providers that aren't wireless. I work in the technology industry and this can't be negotiated.

1. Mostly warm climate is required, other than Montana or Wyoming(which would take something very special and very large).
2. Within 30-45 minutes of a mid-sized corporate jet terminal and <90 minutes from a top 25 airport for commercial flights with a decent international presence.
4. Good location for horses, I have show horses, would like to have more of a garden etc. Right now I have 1ac less than a couple of miles to a newish NFL stadium, I have horses and a garden right now in a large city lol.
5. A good area for business, no tax hell hole such as California, New York, etc.

1. Either on a coast, GoM or within an hour or two of, perfect world would be something on a freshwater river within a 30-45 minute boat ride to the GoM in a decent area.
2. Reasonably close to at least some culture that isn't a Disney(I don't consider Orlando culture lol).
4. I would take a small house/lot on a canal with a horse property close, but haven't found that yet.

If you have something feel free to PM me. If you have suggestions please post here
Wants us rural boys to help out while hiding assets from the STBXW. Classy.
i'm out of touch

what's a stbxw?

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
I want a diesel pick up that will tow 20,000 pounds, gets 35 mpg, has a large screen tv, and runs on 85 octane gas. Can you guys help me find it?

To me, your request sounds like that, you have so many things on your list of requirements it’s almost impossible to meet.

OP
T

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
Let me get this straight, you seem to have very high standards for your "rural" piece of property with a lot of requirements that need to be met on your end, you actually found an ideal pair of properties in your search, but because you think the real estate agent is a twerp, you passed on them? If you were one of my sons, I'd tell them that was a boneheaded move.

Nothing in life is free, and it's all a give and take for 99% of the population. Given your price range and what you're looking for, you're in the 99% like the rest of us.

Ironically enough my wife has been writing software for the same company for over 28 years, and has been working remotely for the last 20 years. Our biggest gripe is not having fiver optic (we currently get 3 Mbps) but after we got married when we went looking for a place that fit our requirements with land, fell in love with the property and realized that nothing is perfect.

You also stated "Right now I have 1ac less than a couple of miles to a newish NFL stadium" I apologize, but exactly what does this mean?

I don't care if you think it was a boneheaded move, I can't stand it when people ignore fiduciary responsibility, especially when they would be my neighbor long term.

You are right it is give and take, we all must do that.

I love it how every one thinks I am either hiding assets or I am trying to get better custody. Neither of which are true, a Federal Indictment solves both of those issues, while currently out on own recognizance facing a 15 year term fixes both. That the lord the marriage had been over for a few years.

To the P.N.W. person, you can keep the rainy area up there. I am ready to be away from the left coast.

I find rural education better than 99% of the larger cities education systems, this is especially true when it comes to morals drive to work and respect for elders. Where I went to school it was very rural, and most of turned out ok I guess. For a while I dated someone in the education system, when a kindergartener spit on her then the parent called her a racist white whore for punishing her kind of turned me off.

For those talking about IL, I have spend a lot of time in IL love the area the laws in IL for business and gun control not so much. I am very much into CCW castle laws etc. Yes I have pegged it to the rural south for the most part.

OP
T

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
I want a diesel pick up that will tow 20,000 pounds, gets 35 mpg, has a large screen tv, and runs on 85 octane gas. Can you guys help me find it?

To me, your request sounds like that, you have so many things on your list of requirements it’s almost impossible to meet.

The only true single property requirement is internet access the other is negotiable. If it was easy I would already have it, it is driving people in my office bat shit though.

My Denali will tow more than 20k lb's, gets 26-29MPG if you run 60 runs diesel though.

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
i got just what you want....brand new bachelor style 2 bedroom house with separate garage/shop/apartment.

55 acre tree farm. lots of room for horses. close to the coast but not the gulf. close to the mountains, reasonable climate, close to rivers, duke basketball, great golf courses, kubota mx 5800 kubota rtv 1140 and a few attachments.

education sucks, just like new york. people in general are pretty nice.

no wife's allowed

OP
T

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
i got just what you want....brand new bachelor style 2 bedroom house with separate garage/shop/apartment.

55 acre tree farm. lots of room for horses. close to the coast but not the gulf. close to the mountains, reasonable climate, close to rivers, duke basketball, great golf courses, kubota mx 5800 kubota rtv 1140 and a few attachments.

education sucks, just like new york. people in general are pretty nice.

no wife's allowed

Want to sell? You can keep the Kubota or sell them as I already have equipment lol.

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D

I love it how every one thinks I am either hiding assets or I am trying to get better custody. Neither of which are true, a Federal Indictment solves both of those issues, while currently out on own recognizance facing a 15 year term fixes both. That the lord the marriage had been over for a few years.
Yeah, no idea how we'd get the idea you are trying to hide anything TossAwayGuy, or that you weren't yet separated.

OP
T

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
Yeah, no idea how we'd get the idea you are trying to hide anything TossAwayGuy, or that you weren't yet separated.

I can see that, we have been living in different states for over four years already though. After getting out of jail she tried to move into my home, I don't want her near our child.

old and tired

Platinum Member
Tractor
L2800 hst
Like a soap opera this thread. Lots of drama.
Plot thickens!!! Going to get some popcorn...

Seriously, I'm a big fan of Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina... if you take your time (wait for the right property) you can find some pretty good deals. Of the three, I think North Carolina has much higher prices compared to the other two.

Jchonline

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, X1100C, M62(S)
Not want, but must have. It is very rare that you can't get a DS1 pretty much any place in the nation that is wired and for a backup that will do. Also almost every cellular tower throughout the country has at least some form of T3 level connectivity to it. I don't mind paying the price but places like Nevada, west Texas, very rural Montana etc are out.

First, please stop with the acronyms as many here wont understand them and you are forcing them to look the up. DS1, T3, GoM, STBXW. Plain speak ;)

You’re requirements are very specific and conflict considerably. If you want to be away from people you are choosing spotty internet. The dirty secret about rural internet (as some folks here are eluding to) is while you can look at some fancy charts online to see where coverage is a available, getting a reliable signal is another thing entirely. For example the area I am in has 2 different cellular carriers that show 4GLTE full signal, but only 1 of them works “most” of the time. The other one I have to go to a certain place on the property.

Wired internet is non-existent in many places (and also where I am). The closest town of 500 people has Centurylink DSL, but the signal in from the nearest major city is garbage. The signal in town is horrible, they are luck to get 1 mb up, 5mb down and it isn’t reliable. My parents in rural TX were just about the same. We went with a Point to Point connection there (built a $3000, 60 ft tower for line of site to connect to a tower 10 miles away in town).

Starlink is a promising option, but still in Beta. So far I have been very happy with it, but the jury is still out.

Now on to Location. We can narrow this request down to “I want land within 90 min of a major airport”. This is getting more and more expensive to accomplish as many cities/suburbs are growing beyond that 1 hour commute. Notice you didn’t say 90 miles. Within 90 min of a major airport with traffic would put you smack dab in the middle of a busy suburb. So you will need to go some place really back woods. To compare my parents place is 70 miles from DFW airport in Dallas but its a 2.5 hour commUte in traffic. Land there is about $15k an acre, and land developers are buying it all up.

I woudl look at Idaho, but it does have state income tax. Boise airport isn’t huge, but it supports enough flights that you can connect if you need to hit international terminals.

What about WV, NC, SC, TN, GA?

OP
T

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor

Seriously, I'm a big fan of Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina... if you take your time (wait for the right property) you can find some pretty good deals. Of the three, I think North Carolina has much higher prices compared to the other two.

Not really plot thickening, just a stupid person that decided to do the way wrong thing years ago, thinking she would never be caught.

I like North Carolina, one of the businesses I own a large % of is based in Williamsburg. I have time, my house went on the market yesterday, and one offer people from the communist parts of the country are moving here in droves. I already own a RV and a condo in the area so I would just need to downsize until my office closes here(December 31st 2021). The only real deadline I have is December 31st of 2022 to have something purchased.

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota
What does this mean?
It means he graduated in a small town like I did. My Wife loves my class reunions, hates her's. She graduated with 800 classmates. Mine was in SW Arkansas, an area I was thinking about for him, except for the waterfront.
David from jax

Jchonline

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, X1100C, M62(S)
I can see that, we have been living in different states for over four years already though. After getting out of jail she tried to move into my home, I don't want her near our child.
Just start with that next time so we all understand. I know privacy and all but we are all tractor friends here!

OP
T

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
First, please stop with the acronyms as many here wont understand them and you are forcing them to look the up. DS1, T3, GoM, STBXW. Plain speak ;)

You’re requirements are very specific and conflict considerably. If you want to be away from people you are choosing spotty internet. The dirty secret about rural internet (as some folks here are eluding to) is while you can look at some fancy charts online to see where coverage is a available, getting a reliable signal is another thing entirely. For example the area I am in has 2 different cellular carriers that show 4GLTE full signal, but only 1 of them works “most” of the time. The other one I have to go to a certain place on the property.

Wired internet is non-existent in many places (and also where I am). The closest town of 500 people has Centurylink DSL, but the signal in from the nearest major city is garbage. The signal in town is horrible, they are luck to get 1 mb up, 5mb down and it isn’t reliable. My parents in rural TX were just about the same. We went with a Point to Point connection there (built a $3000, 60 ft tower for line of site to connect to a tower 10 miles away in town).

Starlink is a promising option, but still in Beta. So far I have been very happy with it, but the jury is still out.

Now on to Location. We can narrow this request down to “I want land within 90 min of a major airport”. This is getting more and more expensive to accomplish as many cities/suburbs are growing beyond that 1 hour commute. Notice you didn’t say 90 miles. Within 90 min of a major airport with traffic would put you smack dab in the middle of a busy suburb. So you will need to go some place really back woods. To compare my parents place is 70 miles from DFW airport in Dallas but its a 2.5 hour commUte in traffic. Land there is about $15k an acre, and land developers are buying it all up.

I woudl look at Idaho, but it does have state income tax. Boise airport isn’t huge, but it supports enough flights that you can connect if you need to hit international terminals.

What about WV, NC, SC, TN, GA?

I guess I should stop, just habit of work, right now. I do have a private 10GB wave to my home from our cage at a datacenter. I should have said 90 miles not 90 min. I completely understand that my connectivity is likely to be more than a house payment would be for our private line stuff.

I have been looking in Georgia, more in the Alpharetta/Cummings area, nothing really has shown up. I already have an office in Atlanta so it would be a fairly easy transition. I thought I had found a property near Valdosta, GA but couldn't get connectivity even using a copper based T3 to the location as they are out of capacity for a point to point link.

Starlink is interesting I have a couple of employee's on it for their ranches but for primary residence this is out.

I have looked at all just basically other than TN, really never did give it a thought. I have a couple of good friends that live there.

OP
T

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
It means he graduated in a small town like I did. My Wife loves my class reunions, hates her's. She graduated with 800 classmates. Mine was in SW Arkansas, an area I was thinking about for him, except for the waterfront.
David from jax

You hit the nail on the head, how do you like Jacksonville? There is a property available there that work as a primary residence on the St. John's river that I was considering. We do some stuff up in the Kingsbay/Brunswick area along with Jacksonville I haven't ever really considered Jax that much.

sandman2234

Tractor
I have 24 acres just outside Valdosta, Ga and it really didn't hit me for what you were looking for, even though the Withlachooche River is a short distance away with property that could be purchased. I had a friend who was an airline pilot that was required to be within 90 miles of the Atlanta Airport, and is just south of Chattanooga, TN. He lives on top of a hill, loves it but I doubt has the internet capability you need. Too cold there for my Wife!
David from jax

arto98607

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota F3060, Grasshopper 721D, Ford 1310, John Deere 440 ICD, John Deere 300
Hey All,

If you have something feel free to PM me. If you have suggestions please post here.

Easy solution: Go kiss & make up with the "twerp" agent and buy those properties!

deezler

Elite Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305, Kioti CK3510seh TLB
I live 1000' off the road on 10 acres and have ~480 mB internet now. Had to trench a burly direct-burial coaxial cable up to the comcast line at the road. Downside is, I am near the city, and can hear subwoofers and sirens at times (honestly not a downside, close to great restaurants, groceries, and easy commute to work). All the venison you could eat, though.

sandman2234

Tractor
Easy solution: Go kiss & make up with the "twerp" agent and buy those properties!
Having done a real estate sale with an agent that was a "twerp", and ironically is trying to buy into our family property in Jacksonville (wants 1/4 acre of ours to go with property they are buying) I won't be dealing with them again. However, you can change agents, and let the new agent work out the commissions.

rademamj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK4010 SEHC, Kubota GR2120, Gravely Proturn 460
I would have suggest the South Dallas - Fort Worth area. Fits everything you wanted on that long list, except that's Texas.

sandman2234

Tractor
Sounds like a few million people I moved away from.
Maybe so, but with enough land for horses, you can get away from your neighbors. My Dad in SW AR can only see 1 neighbor and that is on top of the next hill...
Property can still be purchased in acres and although the nice house may drive prices up, it is still something that can be accomplished here. I was approached by a friend, saying his next door neighbor was going to sell and would I consider a $400,000 house. It was a nice house on 10 acres with great neighbors on a private road, but I had just agreed to purchase a different house. My friends neighbors house was bought by a family getting out of CA for $700,000.00, as it got into a bidding war which only lasted a few days.
There is 26 acres next door to me, but only a small portion is able to be built on, due to a river flowing thru the back end of it. Cheap enough and gives you the buffer from people like me (lol). Lots of options that fit the requirements, just not in a package deal. Got to think outside the box.
David from jax

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
LOL Agree. Except one of his stipulations is politically slanted. So he will have to check out the area (locality) carefully. Maybe do a drive by and look for yard signs.? Or get out and yell "Karen" a few times to see the reaction.
You know, so he can really fit in, long term.

OP
T

TheTossAwayGuy

Tractor
Having done a real estate sale with an agent that was a "twerp", and ironically is trying to buy into our family property in Jacksonville (wants 1/4 acre of ours to go with property they are buying) I won't be dealing with them again. However, you can change agents, and let the new agent work out the commissions.

It is the seller's agent and she is also the next door neighbor for the primary residence, so no way in hell am I moving next to her.

sandman2234

Tractor
It is the seller's agent and she is also the next door neighbor for the primary residence, so no way in hell am I moving next to her.
Got enough money stashed to buy her out also? (just kidding!) I sold a great place in Switzerland, Fl because of neighbors that a pain. Six months later, they sold out because they couldn't get along with any of the other neighbors. Wish I could of held out just a little longer!
David from jax

dirttoys

Platinum Member
Tractor
ac 170 bobcat 773 tak 235
As close as you can get to rtp, and be far enough away from people would be my suggestion.

Best,

ed

JethroB

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HST
In the South, cities with SEC or state colleges might be a place to look. These are often in smaller cities but with good broadband, services, shopping, healthcare, etc. Rural properties are on the nearby outskirts. Valdosta is nice just be prepared for the humidity and gnats this far south. Broadband can be an issue away from town. DSL.

Last edited:

WADFL

Bronze Member
Tractor
Two classic green machines + Kubota L2501
Sounds like you're on board - but remember the "folks" you're trying to move away from when voting in elections here in the beautiful South.

Southern GA has a lot of nice places. You mentioned Kings Bay/north FL. That's a nice area too.
Cummings/Alpharetta is very nice but there isn't, or soon won't be, any rural areas left in that area.
Dalton, GA is pretty close to KATL/KCHA and has rural ground.

Really, the biggest impediment to rural living is the lack of good internet connectivity. I'm long struggled with the same issue.

Good luck.