Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4
Yes, I’ve been sort of looking for land the last few years. Most lots are crap.

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
i bet hes PISSED
At the end of the day, the only person he has a right to be pissed off at is himself.

When we bought our place, we originally bought it with 8 acres. We ended up carrying two mortgages, one for the house and 8 acres, the other for the remaining 32 acres. We really struggled over our decision on why we needed that extra land at that moment in time (I'm not a farmer by any means other than our garden). It all came down to the fact that the "back yard" was pretty nice with some open fields, and we didn't want anyone building behind us. Sometimes we questioned ourselves on if it was the decision for that extra mortgage as that extra payment put a good ding on our savings.

Ironically enough my wife and I were taking about the principal left on the land, and we'll most like pay it all off by the first quarter of next year. Looking back 16 years ago when we bought the place, buying that extra land was without a doubt the correct decision. Besides that, before my wife's grandfather died, he got his last buck on our property around age 82, and that really put a smile on my wife's face.

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
.... Looking back 16 years ago when we bought the place, buying that extra land was without a doubt the correct decision. Besides that, before my wife's grandfather died, he got his last buck on our property around age 82, and that really put a smile on my wife's face.

Yeah. There is no such thing as extra land in my mind. Grab all you can get while you can. Especially so if it around your primary house.

In your case, it looks to have been of value in more ways than one.

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Yeah. There is no such thing as extra land in my mind. Grab all you can get while you can. Especially so if it around your primary house.
The one thing everyone told me when I was asking opinions from people I trust was "well Joe, they aren't making land anymore".

Kicker was, back then we didn't feel like we were getting a great deal on the land at like $3,400 per acre.

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
The one thing everyone told me when I was asking opinions from people I trust was "well Joe, they aren't making land anymore".

Kicker was, back then we didn't feel like we were getting a great deal on the land at like $3,400 per acre.

And I bet your original price of 3,400 looks like a fantasy price today.

With all the development around me, NC is looking more interesting everyday.

I am anxious to see my tax and insurance bills this year.

Amazon just bought some land for close to one million an acre nearby. I expect my taxes to go way down now.
Smirk.

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
I see a lot of that type of development here in NC. Sell off the easy lots with frontage and have a large flag lot in the back. It can be pretty tacky when it's done poorly.
ha

that's exactly what i got and don't mind because i'm way way back off the road and don't have to pick up their litter.

if you go to the GIS county maps you can see how the previous owner every once in a while sold off an acre of road frontage to pay for?..

who knows?

i always tried to do my homework but......outside of portland i bought 7 acres with a house and a gorgeous stand of fir trees across the street.

i asked 3-4 neighbors if they knew the owners etc etc etc.

NOTHING!

6 months later, 60 acre clear cut out my front picture window

. all the neighbors had received a letter the previous year telling them of the scheduled clear cut. the realtor also knew of it and when i threatened to sue her she almost pooped.
had i still been working we were going to court!

another reason to love your fellow man.

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
My property was over $10k acre 25 yrs ago.

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
A real estate agent texted me last weekend about buying my property. My response was $6M it’s yours. I hope I went high enough.

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
A real estate agent texted me last weekend about buying my property. My response was $6M it’s yours. I hope I went high enough.
Texted you?

I'd be on that persons butt for invasion of privacy/spamming/unsolicited and what not.

workinonit

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090E
I paid 500 an acre for 110 acres. My house is in the middle of it. Mixed farm and woods land in my area is still around 3000 and acre today but getting hard to find.

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
With all the development around me, NC is looking more interesting everyday.
Be careful where you move to NC (if you ever do), as even our area seems to keep growing with houses and developments.

Honestly, I'm glad I won't be around in another couple hundred of years to see what our population growth brings us as a country.

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
Be careful where you move to NC (if you ever do), as even our area seems to keep growing with houses and developments.

Honestly, I'm glad I won't be around in another couple hundred of years to see what our population growth brings us as a country.

Around my parts? Sheesh...data centers....lot of data centers..... And clustered developments around....data centers.

I have the solar people knocking....and the land grabbers calling....and the tax man....waiting and counting their future beans. The tax people, probably calculating their models in one of those.....data centers. LOL.

deezler

Elite Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305, Kioti CK3510seh TLB
I was very lucky to find my wooded parcel (19 acres) in a semi-urban area for just $4500/acre in 2012. My buddy just bought the 10 acres next door for 15k/acre last year, one of the last big parcels available in the area that didn't want developer prices (thankfully it was a flag lot with too narrow a driveway flag for a proper road). Any big parcel around here is now targeted for development, and asking 20-40k per acre.

Big Barn

Tractor
More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland
Five acre farmland parcels around me START at $100K per acre.

If a building site is allowed, DOUBLE that.

A serviced, city sized house lot ( 3000sq ft ) in my area starts at $800K.

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Texted you?

I'd be on that persons butt for invasion of privacy/spamming/unsolicited and what not.

Yes, that thought crossed my mind. They had my address in the text. I generally don’t give out my cell number, but they got it from some database somewhere.

deezler

Elite Member
Tractor
I also got a random text last week asking if I wanted to sell. My first reply was, “how did you get my private cell phone number?” Her response was only “we pull public records in areas of interest”. Ooooh k…

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
I also got a random text last week asking if I wanted to sell. My first reply was, “how did you get my private cell phone number?” Her response was only “we pull public records in areas of interest”. Ooooh k…
Hmm...

I was not aware cell phone numbers were publicly available. Technically I guess if you fill something out like a bill of sale and put your cell down....well you just gave it up?

I am super careful with cells.

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
No law against someone sending you a text. Unfortunately.
just reply $30,000,000

deezler

Elite Member
Tractor
Hmm...

I was not aware cell phone numbers were publicly available. Technically I guess if you fill something out like a bill of sale and put your cell down....well you just gave it up?

I am super careful with cells.
Yeah, they are not. I am not clear on how they can connect my property specifically with my phone number. First time it's happened.

When you get a random spam text, thats usually just a shot in the dark from whatever a$$hole wants to spend their day that way. But a stranger who knows exactly where I live? Kinda creepy.

Big Barn

Tractor
More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland
No law against someone sending you a text. Unfortunately.
just reply $30,000,000

Text them back at random times..

"Hey! How's it going?".....

You might even make a new friend or partner with him and make a fortune in real estate.

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800; Kioti NX5510HC
My property is my art work:

DogPark.jpg

This is outside our homestead area. The Dog Park as I like to call it. Tracks from UTV travel for cutting up some firewood (fallen tree). And that's the south end of our AmStaff+Lab (our 90+ lb monster!).

Have snow-capped mountains visible in the distance but I enjoy being on the ground and in direct contact with my own "art." I won't run across anyone else nor will I, for the most part, hear anything else (most noise I hear will be from our geese!).

Someone was recently looking at property across the road from us (a fair amount of acreage- $1.9 mil). She asked how much it cost to do to our property what she was looking at (homestead area), "$100k?" I laughed. "$200k?" I laughed and stated that there was no price I would place on our property. Sell what we want- why?

I am, ultimately, only the caretaker...

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
My property is my art work:

View attachment 717615
This is outside our homestead area. The Dog Park as I like to call it. Tracks from UTV travel for cutting up some firewood (fallen tree). And that's the south end of our AmStaff+Lab (our 90+ lb monster!).

Have snow-capped mountains visible in the distance but I enjoy being on the ground and in direct contact with my own "art." I won't run across anyone else nor will I, for the most part, hear anything else (most noise I hear will be from our geese!).

Someone was recently looking at property across the road from us (a fair amount of acreage- $1.9 mil). She asked how much it cost to do to our property what she was looking at (homestead area), "$100k?" I laughed. "$200k?" I laughed and stated that there was no price I would place on our property. Sell what we want- why?

I am, ultimately, only the caretaker...
Just from picture I'm thinking Washington...

The high Real Estate prices concern me because property tax follows...

Almost without exception WA property tax has gone up significantly every year...

Property tax is almost 9 months rent now...

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab

Almost without exception WA property tax has gone up significantly every year...

Holy cow. When I had rental house in coeur d Alene, property tax, garbage and water combined was 1.5 months rent income. I thought that was alot

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800; Kioti NX5510HC

Yes, Arlington, Washington. Actually had our taxes go DOWN shortly after we bought our place. And, of course, they've gone back up. We have a tax break on our property (Open Space), so greatly less than others: a neighbor up the road has just over a $10k/yr tab: that has dropped from a high of $13k; about 3.5 acres, but a newer, humongous house. Our taxes (because we have a cheap house) is a fraction of that (in terms of monthy rent it would be affordable for just about anyone): we pushed the taxes up when we built our garage (though no apparent increase from our fencing- pretty substantial work).

Pays to do one's homework. Got our property under a distress sale (and it sure looked the part!) at the low point following the housing collapse (also about the lowest mortgage rates at the time). Had sold a house just before the big housing collapse and did OK there. Then spent years living in apartments (great deal from one long-term landlord who was a friend) and saved up. I now view my house and property as my "home," not an investment: it's where I am and where I want to be.

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Hey All,

While I post under a different username around here from time to time. I don't want to use that username as my STBXW knows it and I don't want her seeing it immediately.

I am originally from the foothills of the Ozark mountains, where I graduated high school with less than 100 people in my class. Since graduating from college and during some of my advanced degrees I have lived in major cities all the way to having a home in New York City and both costs. I have spent the last few years primarily on the west coast though, and hate it here, especially with all of the liberal idiots that are moving too close to me.

Ok so here are the details.

Absolute #1 is must have high speed internet access that isn't wireless, and I greatly prefer two providers that aren't wireless. I work in the technology industry and this can't be negotiated.

1. Mostly warm climate is required, other than Montana or Wyoming(which would take something very special and very large).
2. Within 30-45 minutes of a mid-sized corporate jet terminal and <90 minutes from a top 25 airport for commercial flights with a decent international presence.
3. Good education system without the need for private schools.
4. Good location for horses, I have show horses, would like to have more of a garden etc. Right now I have 1ac less than a couple of miles to a newish NFL stadium, I have horses and a garden right now in a large city lol.
5. A good area for business, no tax hell hole such as California, New York, etc.
6. A good employee talent base available.

These are some greatly desired things.

1. Either on a coast, GoM or within an hour or two of, perfect world would be something on a freshwater river within a 30-45 minute boat ride to the GoM in a decent area.
2. Reasonably close to at least some culture that isn't a Disney(I don't consider Orlando culture lol).
3. Would like to spend 400k-750k.
4. I would take a small house/lot on a canal with a horse property close, but haven't found that yet.

I have been looking through the listings in the south fairly extensively. For an ideal spot I would spend more but don't want to. Oklahoma and Texas are for the most part out, as is anything north of southern Arkansas. I had found a totally ideal pair of properties and the agent was a twerp so I passed, she didn't think I would walk but now that I have she has called me back almost daily.

If you have something feel free to PM me. If you have suggestions please post here.
Around here, Charlottesville, Va would meet most of your needs. A ways from the coast but some big lakes aren't too far away.

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
Wall street landlords own 11,000 single family homes in Charlotte. What do the own nationwide? Will they be good neighbors? Will they keep the property up? What will happen to property values when wall street wants to get out of this type of investment?

Wall Street-backed landlords now own more than 11,000 single-family homes in Charlotte | UNC Charlotte Urban Institute | UNC Charlotte

I worry these will be Section 8 homes.. Can you imagine?

Hey, where’s the OP?

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Hey, where’s the OP?

He left the building long ago. Although in his first post he did state that his alter ego has a more regular presence here...

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I worry these will be Section 8 homes.. Can you imagine?

Hey, where’s the OP?
I have managed Section 8 going back to the 80's and have met some wonderful people both tenants and Housing staff... especially in the early years...

Sadly, the program has changed a lot over the years going from the Housing Authority contracting for the unit and maintaining to now limited to basically sending a monthly check for a portion of the rent.

The big change is when HUD unilaterally got out of the security deposit)damage side of things citing losses...

The above says volumes when you think about it...

In 35 years there have been a few success stories... but not many

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
He left the building long ago. Although in his first post he did state that his alter ego has a more regular presence here...
I just figured he expanded his search to overseas and he's out of the country
I have managed Section 8 going back to the 80's and have met some wonderful people both tenants and Housing staff... especially in the early years...

Sadly, the program has changed a lot over the years going from the Housing Authority contracting for the unit and maintaining to now limited to basically sending a monthly check for a portion of the rent.

The big change is when HUD unilaterally got out of the security deposit)damage side of things citing losses...

The above says volumes when you think about it...

In 35 years there have been a few success stories... but not many
A different perspective...

"Money people" (particularly from San Francisco) have actually gotten into the HVAC market because they see it as a return on their dollar.

Right now in my own market, one company from California has bought out a local HVAC company in my market (nothing has changed in the consumers eyes) except pricing has be raised for the jobs.

From what I've seen, they ("money people") are going to crash and burn because they don't know anything about the business other that they think they can make a quick buck.

Same thing happened about 25 years ago in my own market. Right before I moved into NC, the old sellers (who sold to the "money people") were buying the businesses back for pennies on the dollar.

At the end of the day, if you have an MBA, yes, you should be able to figure out how to make money, problem is, when you take over a business in the "trade", you still have to understand that business. The "money guys" know nothing about the business IMO.