Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #61  
I don't care if you think it was a boneheaded move, I can't stand it when people ignore fiduciary responsibility, especially when they would be my neighbor long term.

You are right it is give and take, we all must do that.

I love it how every one thinks I am either hiding assets or I am trying to get better custody. Neither of which are true, a Federal Indictment solves both of those issues, while currently out on own recognizance facing a 15 year term fixes both. That the lord the marriage had been over for a few years.
Funny thing, I've lived in our rural area for over 16 years, and unless my neighbor is having an affair with my wife, a neighbor is stealing something from my property or my bank account our out of my house, or my neighbor messes with my dog on my property, I really don't care what my neighbors do.

Perhaps it's just me, but I've never had a problem with any of my neighbors by not caring what they do in their personal lives.

I understand your "hiding assets" wasn't directed towards me, however, if you read your first post on this thread you started, it does kind of come off at a grade school level on how you're taking a different screen name because you don't want your ex to see it for whatever reason.

End of day, we don't need to know all your crap, but for some reason, we're getting to kind of know it, and I'm given the impression your well educated, apparently must make a lot of money and very well traveled. I deal with some very well known people in my line of work, and generally when I'm involved on a job, I deal the person's "assistant". I would assume from what you've written about yourself that you could afford to hire a professional in the real-estate business to actually find exactly what you're looking for.

Could you still elaborate on what you meant when you stated "Right now I have 1ac less than a couple of miles to a newish NFL stadium". I have absolutely no clue what that means or implies.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #62  
Sigarms, things aren't always as they seem. When I read the OPs thread it sounded more like a boasting/bragging message to me. What I have found is that generally the ones that are truely in the position he states he is in don't boast about it. But that's just how i took it.
I'm assuming that statement means he owns a 1 acre tract less than a couple of miles from an NFL stadium that is realively new. He ain't in Charlotte.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #63  
Valuable property is getting popular as an investment, especially being that a possible crash is looming. It could just be a investor fishing for good deals that check all the boxes. :unsure:

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #64  
Man... do we love a good mystery around here, or what???

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #65  
It's a humdinger.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #66  
I will not do any business with anyone that won't be honest about a transaction.

I am from more rural than you I would imagine. I am just ready to move back.
If the agent was dishonest, report him/her to the broker and request another agent...sheesh...stop digging...your hole is already deep enough.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #67  
Would properties that are near a coast, have a stream or river, be near an airport, fast internet, great schools, etc....ever lose money? They would be a great hedge against a iffy market. Is this a big firm with many offices across the country looking for property? We don't know.

PS...Just on NBC Nightly News a story about large firms buying up homes. One just allowed $5 Billion to purchase properties. It sounds like Atlanta GA is one of the hot areas too.

13:20 into this episode:

Nightly News Full Broadcast (October 6th)

Last edited:
   / Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #68  
I woudl look at Idaho, but it does have state income tax. Boise airport isn’t huge, but it supports enough flights that you can connect if you need to hit international terminals.

What about WV, NC, SC, TN, GA?
forget idaho….no good internet here and too cold. Plus good luck finding horse property. My 20 acres is valued about 1.7 million. The 10 acres across the street , bare pasture, would sell for about $350,000 and sell in 1 day at that price.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #69  
Hey All,

While I post under a different username around here from time to time. I don't want to use that username as my STBXW knows it and I don't want her seeing it immediately.

I am originally from the foothills of the Ozark mountains, where I graduated high school with less than 100 people in my class. Since graduating from college and during some of my advanced degrees I have lived in major cities all the way to having a home in New York City and both costs. I have spent the last few years primarily on the west coast though, and hate it here, especially with all of the liberal idiots that are moving too close to me.

Ok so here are the details.

Absolute #1 is must have high speed internet access that isn't wireless, and I greatly prefer two providers that aren't wireless. I work in the technology industry and this can't be negotiated.

1. Mostly warm climate is required, other than Montana or Wyoming(which would take something very special and very large).
2. Within 30-45 minutes of a mid-sized corporate jet terminal and <90 minutes from a top 25 airport for commercial flights with a decent international presence.
3. Good education system without the need for private schools.
4. Good location for horses, I have show horses, would like to have more of a garden etc. Right now I have 1ac less than a couple of miles to a newish NFL stadium, I have horses and a garden right now in a large city lol.
5. A good area for business, no tax hell hole such as California, New York, etc.
6. A good employee talent base available.

These are some greatly desired things.

1. Either on a coast, GoM or within an hour or two of, perfect world would be something on a freshwater river within a 30-45 minute boat ride to the GoM in a decent area.
2. Reasonably close to at least some culture that isn't a Disney(I don't consider Orlando culture lol).
3. Would like to spend 400k-750k.
4. I would take a small house/lot on a canal with a horse property close, but haven't found that yet.

I have been looking through the listings in the south fairly extensively. For an ideal spot I would spend more but don't want to. Oklahoma and Texas are for the most part out, as is anything north of southern Arkansas. I had found a totally ideal pair of properties and the agent was a twerp so I passed, she didn't think I would walk but now that I have she has called me back almost daily.

If you have something feel free to PM me. If you have suggestions please post here.
By your own admission you're a pretty educated person. You also intimate in your posts the likelihood of having some disposable income and also having some pretty specific requirements. This is easy... either:

Hire, as previously mentioned, an assistant/realtor to parse through your requirements to a couple different geographic areas or do your own spatial analysis with GIS using major airports as a starting point to narrow down your possibilities. It wouldn't be that hard to do a Venn analysis of river systems within 45 minutes of the GOM and also within 90 min/miles of a major airport. (I'll grant you factoring in smaller, commercial jet hubs on smaller airports might be a little more difficult.)

If you understand that your specific internet requirements may be more than house payment you should also already be aware that connectivity is subject to conditions that are highly specific to local infrastructure and that 5 miles in a rural area may mean the difference between having the bandwidth you need and paying for a custom digital pipeline. Once you figure out areas that meet your broader requirements you can start calling around to service providers to see what they may be willing to trench in and at what cost.... or have an assistant do the legwork.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #70  
forget idaho….no good internet here and too cold. Plus good luck finding horse property. My 20 acres is valued about 1.7 million. The 10 acres across the street , bare pasture, would sell for about $350,000 and sell in 1 day at that price.
Idaho is full...
Neighbors house and five acres lasted six hours on the market before they had a $675,000 cash offer.
I'm still looking at means of internet because some dumb arse (me) forgot to run a phone or cable line to the house when we ran power.