Going to the 100th Indy 500!

/ Going to the 100th Indy 500! #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
So my wife and I and two friends just got tickets to the 100th running of the Indy 500! I've been to NASCAR races but never an Indy race and the 500 has been on my bucket list for some time.

Have any of you been to the 500? Any suggestions for what our "must see" or "must do" items should be? I should mention that the husband of the couple we are going with is an Indy racing junkie and goes to about half the races each year. He knows lots of the drivers and team members quite well and often has invitations for private events and parties that the rest of us regular folks don't usually get into. So I'm hoping he has some surprises for me and the wife this trip!

We plan to arrive Friday and leave after the race, but I have been wondering about extending the stay a few days. Is there lots to do in the area? Is it a tourist area or no?

/ Going to the 100th Indy 500! #2  
I crossed that off my bucket list a decade or so ago. It was just in and out on one day so I can't offer much advise about things to do or see. As far as the race goes, you can only see the straight stretch where your seats are. The start is something you'll never forget!

/ Going to the 100th Indy 500! #3  
If you have time, go to the Museum at the track. Almost gives me goosebumps seeing the racing history!

For dining, try to get to St. Elmo's Steakhouse downtown (hint-you'll need to go early, as it is very popular). Great steaks, and be sure to try their Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail! It's super heavy on the horseradish in the cocktail sauce, but is awesome.....

Travel safe!

/ Going to the 100th Indy 500! #4  
X2 on St Elmos steak house. An Indianapolis institution for years. LOTS to do in Indy that I'm sure you can search online.

If you are a military aircraft afficianado, travel 2 hours east on I-70 to Dayton, OH to the Museum of the U S Air Force.

/ Going to the 100th Indy 500!
Thanks guys. Good stuff. I love both steak and airplanes!

/ Going to the 100th Indy 500! #7  
It's a few hours away but the Studebaker Museum in South Bend is great.

/ Going to the 100th Indy 500! #8  
I grew up in Indy and have been going to the race for 30+ years. Taking my mom this year as she wants to see the 100th. Everything in Indianapolis will be crowded race weekend but as others pointed out, there is plenty to do. If you extend a few days you can avoid the crowds.

If it's a one-time, bucket list event for you, be sure to get there early for all the pre-race festivities. And plan some time during the race for walking around the infield. People watching at it's best!

/ Going to the 100th Indy 500! #9  
   / Going to the 100th Indy 500!
Good stuff everybody. The AF museum looks like a must to me. It is going to depend on how much time I have. Thanks