Good Doer goes to jail

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Good Doer goes to jail
He didn't get a ticket, he was arrested. A ticket is a complaint signed by the officer and your promise to show up in court to defend yourself or plead guilty. A arrest is where they take you to jail and you remain until a judge hears the complaint and either continues the case and sets bail or remands you to custody. There is a big difference. As for the reason for his leaving the side of the victim, he was following the policeman's instructions. He took what appears to be the safe and intelligent route to get to the other side. As the information that has come out since the original posting of this article, it appears that he fought the governments attempt to restrict this area and has won. His arrest is nothing more than "pay back" and as we all know, pay back is a *****!!!!

/ Good Doer goes to jail #22  
I admire this man's character very much. The drowning victim thanked the rescuer for <font color="blue"> saving his life </font>, so it wasn't his opinion solely. The cop "demanded" that he come back across the river. I hope there is someone like him around if a loved one or I am ever in a similar situation.

Here's a news story except:
"Newman, who was still in the water, reportedly threw back a buoy rescue workers tossed to him and swam to the opposite side of the river. He hesitated before answering a Texas State University police officer's demand that he return to the bank where workers were still trying to assess the situation, according to officials' accounts."

The arrogant cop is on a power trip. I don't blame anybody for not risking their life to save someone regardless whether they believe they have the ability or not to save them. He made a decision that every person should have a right to make - to risk their life to save another.

Attached is a picture of the rescuer and river.

Jim

Attachments

• 688308-0_21_070605_rescuer_arrested.jpg
    688308-0_21_070605_rescuer_arrested.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 138
   / Good Doer goes to jail #23  
<font color="blue"> He didn't get a ticket, he was arrested. </font>

Good. He probably derserved it due to his actions after the rescue. Each and every time that I have had problems with the police, I deserved it. Plain and simple. He probably did, too.

/ Good Doer goes to jail
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ......... Each and every time that I have had problems with the police, I deserved it. Plain and simple. He probably did, too. )</font>

Very interesting...... I have never had any problems with the police. The difference between us must be that I am a law abiding citizen and you aren't..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Good Doer goes to jail #25  
I prefer to say "wasn't a law abiding citizen" as I am now... until I get caught again. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Let's just say that I have decided that if I'm going to tell my kids not to do stuff, and to behave a certain way, I should be willing to do as I say, also. YIKES! I can't believe I just said that. Mom and dad are having the last laugh after all. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Good Doer goes to jail #26  
<font color="blue"> "...it appears that he fought the governments attempt to restrict this area and has won." </font>- Junkman

WHAT??????

HE WON WHAT????

Two people died.

Would those two people still be alive if he would have lost?

Would you WIN if you got the government to remove our ROPS?

/ Good Doer goes to jail
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> "...it appears that he fought the governments attempt to restrict this area and has won." </font>- Junkman

WHAT??????

HE WON WHAT????

Two people died.

Would those two people still be alive if he would have lost?

Would you WIN if you got the government to remove our ROPS?

)</font>

Don't understand what you "beef" is with me, because I didn't write the quote that you have attributed to me. Possibly that is the problem today...... people either don't understand what they read, nor do they remember who said what. I can get into enough trouble on my own....... please stop attributing things to me that I am not responsible for. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
As for the people that died in the water, if you had read that article correctly, you would have realized that those two events had happened prior to the fence and that was the reason for the fence. If the fence was a good idea, then the agency that heard the rescuers pleas to remove the fence, probably wouldn't have removed it.

/ Good Doer goes to jail #28  
Junkman I have no beef with you. I got the quote from your post #688304. Maybe you and I are thinking about two different things. When you said "he fought the government attempts to restrict the area", I though the restrictions you were talking about were the fence and the swimming ban.

I did read the article right. He got the fences removed and the ban relaxed in 1999. The two deaths happen this year in April. I can see how you thought it was the other way around because they just say April and do not say April 2005 but because they do not use a month when they say 1999 and start a new paragraph and say in April as in the current year..... that article was poorly written it can be taken either way ..... oh well...../forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Good Doer goes to jail #29  
<font color="blue"> I can get into enough trouble on my own....... </font>

Got that right!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Good Doer goes to jail #30  
So here's my question. Don't some states have "Good Samaritan" laws that require a person to give assistance if in a position to possibly do so? It's like a Catch-22. Stand and do nothing, you can be prosecuted for not helping. Jump in and help, you may get prosecuted for attempting something you're not authorized to do. Whatever happened to common sense? How do you decide? I guess sometimes you just gotta follow your conscience and do what you feel is right.

I think another "Good Samaritan" law exempts a rescuer from civil liability if (s)he attempts a rescue but doesn't succeed, but I think that's only certain states. If someone has a cardiac arrest and you give CPR, but they don't make it, should his family be able to sue you? What if you know CPR but decide not to try because you don't want to be sued. Should they be able to sue you for not trying? Too much suing going on for ridiculous reasons. I think anyone should be able to file a suit if he thinks he has a case. The problem is, judges ought to throw the stupid ones out as soon as they read the petition and they don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.