Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #152,281  
Good morning! 69 now, high of 75 or so today. Much more pleasant than yesterday.

Unlike @rswyan, we got rain 3X yesterday. First early in the morning was a light rain, then near supper, another sprinkle, then a frog strangler after supper. Was outside when the last one came through, looked like a wall of water of water coming down the valley. Got in the garage dry.

Been a busy weekend, went to the races Friday in Greenville, OH, guy I help won his first Pro Hooligans final. We toasted a rear tire on that bike. Broke the Yamaha 450, no compression :oops:. Sounds expensive.

Did more storm cleanup Saturday, weeded the garden Sunday.

Not sure what today will bring.

Everyone stay safe out there!

/ Good morning!!!! #152,282  
Good morning.
72 and spitting rain. Supposed to get heavier later this morning then clear with a high of 80.

Yesterday moved at a leisurely pace, no real projects, but stayed occupied. The flight evaluation went well, the student was a 17 year old and sharp as a tack. He did an excellent job overall, but he messed up the last task. Just a basic brain fart, he had the skill and knowledge to perform it perfectly, so we talked about it and called it a day.

Stopped at the restaurant and got some baked chicken wings for lunch on the way home. Went and hung out at the pool with Son, DIL and grandson until wife came home from another farmers market.
Unloaded her car and we went on a BJ’s run. Filled up the car with $4.80 gas, DIL asked for “Grillo” brand pickles. I never heard of them, but they were excellent, I’ve got to get some for us now. Almost didn’t find them as they were in the refrigerated section, not with the jars of pickles and relish.

Today I’ll be working on the computer and cutting some sandblast mask for the rock man. Not much else planned for today.

Tomorrow it looks like I’ve got an early morning trip to Maine, but that should be it until after the 4th.

/ Good morning!!!! #152,283  
58°F and clear skies this morning, going up to 82°. We are getting a respite from the heat wave for the next couple of days, then returning to the 90s on Wednesday.

Got a whole lot of nothing done yesterday, except laundry.

We got some bad news about Evey, the oldest Border Collie, yesterday. She's been having some health issues for a little while now. Vet finally referred her for an MRI, which she had yesterday. They found a golfball-size tumor on her liver, and said at her age surgery is not advised. Wife took this pretty hard. One of those eventualities that you always know is there, but still don't like to hear. She's been getting weaker over the last few months, but still gets up and gets around OK, at least for now.

Mostly_, it's called 370 Lakeside Park, and is at the Truman Rd exit off I-370. Looks like that is indeed St. Peters there. They reportedly dug an access channel from the park to the creek, but I've not read good things about the arrangements there from other Facebook kayak group members. Guess we'll find out when we go back. Judging by the current forecast, though, that probably won't be next weekend.

View attachment 751731

Wngsprd, I have a 12-string electric guitar with a pawlownia body. It's an incredibly light-weight wood, and wasn't the best choice for this guitar, as the light weight of the body doesn't counter the extra weight of the larger headstock and 12 metal tuners at the other end. It has bad neck dive, and I can only really play it while sitting. Until reading just now, I didn't even know we had those trees here in The States.

Good morning, gents.

Looks like a good route for a nice paddle.

The paulownia is often considered a weed tree here, many coming up along roadsides, and showing off their big clusters of purple flowers in the spring. The wood is very light and rot resistant. Back in the early 90's we had a couple of folks drive up and offer to buy ours...said the market for export was very good...used for wedding/bride keepsake boxes in Japan, among other things, like musical instruments, and in our experience, for hanging bird feeders, and as a temporary home to a huge bee colony.

Sorry about your Evey.

/ Good morning!!!! #152,284  
Good morning to all! Low was 50°, currently 55°, going up to 64°. Another rainy day. Almost 3/4" in the gauge overnight. Today is the last day of rainy weather, next 3 days are supposed to be dryer and warmer.

Doug, I am using my old HiTec Eclipse 7, 72Mhz. , a 2812 brushless, Pheonix 20A controller, and a 3S1P Lipo (11.1v).
I have the 2.4Ghz conversion, but not enough receivers to go around yet. Eventually, I'll try the conversion. I have been looking at the Taranus radios... really great value for the cost.

Wng, the blueberry croissants were delicious... I ate 2. Could have easily eaten 4...... Sorry about tree branch going down. Beautiful tree! Can you mail us some seed pods?

PH, sorry to hear about Evey. It's hard to accept news like that.

Drew, have a safe trip back.

Not sure what I'll get into today... maybe another plane rehab? I may take advantage of the rainy day and get the errand list out of the way.

Everyone have a great start to the week!

/ Good morning!!!! #152,285  
71F and sunny @ 10:45, heading up to a high of around 75F for the day. Now saying NW winds @ 10 - 15 mph.

Heard on the news last night that we are "abnormally dry" - but not quite yet in drought conditions. Typically, average rainfall for this point in June would be 3" and change, we're an inch short of that.

Looks like next opportunity for rain will be Fri/Sat.

Today's agenda will include:

Move plants out.

Refill hopper feeder.

Water peach trees + the ginkgo, which seems to be doing very well this year. Must have gotten established. Probably some rhododendrons that could be watered as well. The ones in the east planting bed have a nasty infestation of bind weed coming on ... so that needs handled.

Get the last of the summer squash planted.

Mix up a couple of gallons of glyphosate. Winds are supposed to be around 5 mph tomorrow, so will be a good day for it.

Beyond that unsure at this point ... but that's probably plenty enough for the time being.

Hope everyone has a great Monday ... (y)

/ Good morning!!!! #152,286  
RS --- The energizer gardener --- I read that you put the weeds in the compost pile... doesn't that create an issue from the weed seeds?

If properly composted, no - see this writeup from Texas A and M:

Composting to kill weed seeds

I have had it hot enough in the past that you wouldn't want to touch newly uncovered material from inside the pile.

Probed it in the past at one point, and while I don't exactly recall the temp offhand it was up there (>140F ?)

Having said that, weed seeds are everywhere here. They blow in the wind, animals drop them, etc.

What else do you put in the pile?

Any of the following (when available):

Old leaves, used cat litter (urine only), wood chips (which can include ground up green leaves), vegetable waste, coffee grounds, sheep manure, grass clippings.

Have added urea prils in the past (not an option now, due to cost)

I am interested in hearing your process.

Typically, I'd be turning it maybe once a month in the summer months with the loader on the Kubota.

Obviously not an option right now until I get the Kubota fixed.

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #152,287  
66°F and .02 inches rain.

Guess I’ll be determining patio door repair this morning.

Zoom Happy hour this afternoon.

Prayers for all
Be safe
Have a great day

/ Good morning!!!! #152,288  
After all those 100° plus days, we've been blessed with a day that started at 70°, is up to 81° and not expected to go beyond 89°. Not much new around here BUT . . . I used to regularly have cottontail rabbits produce small litters under our back porch, but we haven't seen a single rabbit around here for more than a year UNTIL . . . a week ago my wife told me she saw a single tiny rabbit just off the patio in our back yard. I had some doubts, but the next day I saw it, also. And I saw it each day for a few days, put a small pan of water out, just in case. And then it seemed to disappear and I didn't see it for 2 days. But then this morning it's back out there, all alone.

/ Good morning!!!! #152,289  
If properly composted, no - see this writeup from Texas A and M:

Composting to kill weed seeds

I have had it hot enough in the past that you wouldn't want to touch newly uncovered material from inside the pile.

Probed it in the past at one point, and while I don't exactly recall the temp offhand it was up there (>140F ?)

Having said that, weed seeds are everywhere here. They blow in the wind, animals drop them, etc.

Any of the following (when available):

Old leaves, used cat litter (urine only), wood chips (which can include ground up green leaves), vegetable waste, coffee grounds, sheep manure, grass clippings.

Have added urea in the past (not an option now, due to cost.

Typically, I'd be turning it maybe once a month in the summer months with the loader on the Kubota.

Obviously not an option right now until I get the Kubota fixed.
Thanks. We were talking about starting a pile not too long ago. Going to find a spot and get one going.

I may be wrong, but I think my dad used to sprinkle lime on their compost pile. Is it needed or just to get everything started?