Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #153,851  
Wife sent me pictures earlier this morning of our chicken coop. Something dug a large hole under the fence and went in and killed a bunch of our hens; five dead, two missing. I'm livid. So, when I get home this evening, I get to go have an unpleasant talk this evening with our new neighbors, whose large dogs seem to keep getting out of their completely fenced in property, and have been spending a lot of time at the fence staring at our chickens.
(sigh)
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Any good evidence they were the culprit? I'd ask the neighbors to replace them.....and keep their dogs fenced. We mostly have wild critters getting them.

PJS, I've done about 98% of my time in mfg in the shop, and 2% filling in for QC guys on vacation. One thing I've determined about shops is, I like for the owner to be as far away as possible from the day to day mistakes. Insulated ownership. An owner that's breathing down your neck with anger when a mistake is made is no fun.

My new job has been mostly awesome. I tell folks that I'm so busy the day flys by. There are too many emails though. I have about 4 guys above me that want to be "in the loop", so when an email floats around, it gets 4x the banter. I'm writing a proposal for a new cnc mill. There is some budget money left, but I don't know how much. It's up to about $250K with workholding and tooling, 5 axis rotary tilting table, probing, all the cool stuff....I don't know if it will make the cut, but it could sure bring some modernization to our group. One thing about the job, I'm in charge of fixing things and safety in about 12-15 rooms. I'm getting help, but I don't know the half of it yet. I told my boss I just don't want any "gotchas" to jump up and bite me.

RNG, I used my trailer to haul my loot back home last weekend.

Ken, I'm really enjoying your photos. What a trip you guys got to take.

rs, I really hope Toppop Randy pops back on here soon....and I wish gas was back down to $1.79 so that my bag of corn chips will go down too.

Mike, glad to hear your wifey is doing good and doing yoga. My daughter likes to "kick me out" when she does her exercises. Maybe its the comments from the peanut gallery that gets me the
boot.

Mostly, it was an armadillo headed back home in the morning from near my home. I have found one of them tearing the crap out of fire ant mounds, so maybe I don't mind a few grubbing holes in the yard.

My daughter's job is giving her a lot more hours this year. Last year, they would only give her about 4 hours max, maybe 3-4 times a week. This year she's getting close to 25 hours a week or more. They've started putting her in charge of the other young people when the boss has to leave for some hours or day. No pay raise though. She doesn't mind it, because it is getting her more hours of work than the other youngsters. She asked for me to get her my recently passed away FIL's truck. It's a 4WD Dodge with the 360 hemi, it gets around 10-11mpg around town. I told her the mileage and how much gas it would cost to go to her friend's house and back. She says with a downward swoon, Ooooh. :(

Thomas, waiting to see some mad bear/mirror video.

Prayers for our team, rain, Bupps, Randy, Ron, LS4, Dave and Sophie, Eric, my friend's mother Shirley, our law enforcement, our country, and Ukraine.

/ Good morning!!!! #153,852  
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Any good evidence they were the culprit? I'd ask the neighbors to replace them.....and keep their dogs fenced. We mostly have wild critters getting them.
No, Kyle no evidence at all. I haven't had any cameras on the coop for several years now. Never needed one ... until yesterday. So, game cam is going back up. She also set a live trap.

In fact, The Wife did some scouting around while I was at work and found the remains of one of the Orpingtons behind her cousin's barn, which is in the opposite direction. We're starting to think it may have been a raccoon. More than a little glad we've had some time between the initial discovery anger and me making a fool of myself with the new neighbors.

/ Good morning!!!! #153,853  
Good (Saturday) morning. Another cold, for Tassie, Winter's morning: -1.8C with a frost... which is all that I experience in the NE of the State (no snow). It's clear with a wee breeze. Currently 11C.

That's about it. It'll be a few more months before I need to do any mowing as the critters from the 'next door neighbour' State Forest do a great job lawning the property. The only downside is the proliferation of droppings/scat around the place, but it's all grass/vegetation (the scat) so it's not a big problem.

Take care all.

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #153,854  
Good evening all. 77ºF for the start, partly cloudy, light breeze. Light wind with moderate gusts, sky clouded up, thunderstorms came close but no rain at home :(. Temps dropped to 76ºF, then rebounded. High temp was 99ºF, HI 105ºF. Bike ride to start the day, puttered till nap time then trip to town, was going to order new glasses but prescription expired had to make eye dr appointment. Dental Office closed, no reason given. Had to settle for dinner at Applebees.
RS Sounds like good day, do like the manure delivery system. hope your temps do cool off.
Drew sounds like you have some high humidity. Hope the photo session of the old doc goes well. 300 yr a long time.
Drew when we did garden never could get the right number of plants.
Roy glad you got to sleep in today.
Billy glad you got some hiking and mowing in. Nice pic :)
Phil hope no damage from storm
Mike sorry about legal issues, and getting stuck. Hope Saturday good for mowing. neat pic
Don front came through this afternoon, rain all around, none here but temps dipped to76ºF
RS hope you get the soil retained on garden east side.
Paul That is more rain than I have gotten since June 3 : hope today turned out productive.
RNG hope the meter install is not too bad. Hope you found the phone cable without breaking it.
PJ Arnold, biggest pain will be the traffic :( Hope the job works out for you.
Roy not sure how you could stay in QA with out dealing with ISO or QS/AS systems anymore.
Ken good to hear you are getting rain. neat trip pics
Thomas sorry about no hot links.
Thomas hope day went well especially date night!
David glad guy won, hope roof crew showed.
PJ very sorry to hear about chickens. Hope talk goes well.
Don no IFTTT use here.
Scaredy hope client works out for you. Hope ice cream cruise went well. Hope you retrieve wife soon
Drew nice pics and trip to garden.
Dennis sorry about no rain.
Doug sorry about the delays in getting health issues treated in timely manor.
Buppies glad you got some rain. Just not happening here. They are paving main road to town and thought of you.
Kyle thanks for update on new job. Good to hear daughter getting more hours, chuckle when she realized what it takes to feed the beast. :)
PJ hope you can get a handle on what is killing your chickens.
Randy(wag) even if it snowed the warm ground would melt it quickly.
prayer for all, especially Jay/Peg, Kyle's daughter/friend PT from Covid,/mom's breathing, /learning new job, Bird/aging issues/, Don /mom's pipeline process, /fire nearby, Randy/FIL living alone adjustments /MIL Covid /son's heart issues, /pneumonia and not posting, Roy /palpitations, /angina , Billy /wife back & hip, David(moss) /remodel, /divorce, Buppies /3 new skin cancer spots and treatment, /wife knee healing, Thomas/gout, Phil /reflux, /wife's eyes, Steppenwolfe/son-auto immune disorder, Grev/wife's eye, Ted /knee recovery/retirement, / passing out issues, /family issues, /wife feeling bad, Doug and wife/health issues, /nerve and pain, / wife's hospital stay, /torn bicep, Ken /kids shot tragedy, David(sadamo)/Sophie's new eye surgery recovery, /cataract surgery, /Sophie's hand infection, Chris/neighbor's granddaughter and Covid issues, Scaredy/shoulder dislocation, /wife not feeling well, /marriage, / frind stop drinking, Paul/ wife's disc issues, Gale and KY/ tornado victims, Mike /5 year plan, Dennis /retirement plans / brother "alligallyitus" and improving, Drew /foot heel issues, /friend cancer diagnosis and recovery, Helogabals /second opinion, /wife's friend situation, Ukraine war, mass shooting victims and family, and Country.

/ Good morning!!!! #153,855  
We had a cold 11.4 C this morning but a beautiful 22.4 right now with a slight breeze. Wish it would stay like this year round.
Must be something about Tassie Wagtail. Some friends are moving down there at the moment (Burnie area I think) and a couple from my club were down there a few weeks ago looking for a place to move to. He is an IT guy.

/ Good morning!!!! #153,856  
I’m interested in that scrubber pole. Might work on camper.

I like it so far. A bit more reach would be nice. When talked to rep in HD he reminded me that if it didn’t work as expected to bring it back, but please look for him as he’s interested for himself. They also make 3 brushes, soft, medium, hard bristle. RYOBI 6 in. Soft Bristle Brush Accessory for RYOBI P4500 and P4510 Scrubber Tools A95SB1

Comes with the medium. Thinking I’m going back for the other 2.

/ Good morning!!!! #153,857  
Alien - i can relate to your situation so much. Praying for you, that is a long wait. Can they get you into any kind of physio therapy in the waiting period ?

/ Good morning!!!! #153,858  
We had a cold 11.4 C this morning but a beautiful 22.4 right now with a slight breeze. Wish it would stay like this year round.
Must be something about Tassie Wagtail. Some friends are moving down there at the moment (Burnie area I think) and a couple from my club were down there a few weeks ago looking for a place to move to. He is an IT guy.
my brother lives in Port Macquarie, NSW ... 6 or so hours south of you :)

/ Good morning!!!! #153,859  
No, Kyle no evidence at all. I haven't had any cameras on the coop for several years now. Never needed one ... until yesterday. So, game cam is going back up. She also set a live trap.

In fact, The Wife did some scouting around while I was at work and found the remains of one of the Orpingtons behind her cousin's barn, which is in the opposite direction. We're starting to think it may have been a raccoon. More than a little glad we've had some time between the initial discovery anger and me making a fool of myself with the new neighbors.
sorry for the loss of the chickens.

Racoons are a terrible threat. Crows, Ravens, Coyote and the Bear are also a bit of a concern for us. We lose a few birds every year, most of our losses are natural.

Try as best we can, there are about a dozen chickens that find their way out of the run, every day. They return for food and sleeping.

Praying for protection for you birds

/ Good morning!!!! #153,860  
I know. It's been happening for a number of years now, mainlanders, especially Queenslanders, moving down here. I reckon that it's the price (even in these economic times) difference in what they can sell for vs. what they can purchase.

Properties still don't last long outside of the big-smokes.

It can be a wee bit humorous when quite a few Queenslanders will rent down here for a year, before they buy, to see if they can tolerate the 'cold'.