Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #161,832  
36F and clear @ 21:15, heading to around 35F for the overnight low.

Refilled hopper feeder with what I had left here, was out of sunflower hearts so had to use black oil sunflower in the shell. Also put out some cracked corn for the ground feeders.

Made the run down to Menards and picked critter food, also picked up two 4 x 4 x 8 white wood, two 2 x 6 x 8 and one 2 x 6 x 12 (also white wood) for the woodworking table. Looked to be decent wood, fairly straight/not twisted, and no splits.

Grabbed 7 gallons of E0 (ouch) for the Cub on the way down.

Woman texted just as I was leaving Menards lot to grab dinner on the way home. Apparently She had gone over to her neighbor friend's to pick up some beef stroganoff she had saved for us from last night's dinner. Friend had supposedly set it out front as she was cutting hair (her side gig), but had grabbed the wrong container and we got a full unopened container of cottage cheese instead. Woman was very disappointed (to put it mildly)

So I ordered a meatball sub and a side salad from the local pizza joint.

That wasn't due to be ready by the time I got back to the home area so I headed on to the house and unloaded the critter food into the garage and then went down and picked up the grub.

Will unload the lumber and fuel tomorrow afternoon after it warms up.

After dinner I headed downstairs and fed the fishies, most of them got cooked shrimp which they consumed rather greedily. Less than a single shrimp to feed all of them, leftovers went back in the fridge.

After that I watch the video on basement insulating that BEF posted which was fascinating.

/ Good morning!!!! #161,833  
An interesting video on insulating basements

Yes ... very interesting stuff.

Sounds like quite the feat, balancing various factors to get it right ... or as right as possible.

I found a number of things in my researching that I didn't know, like polyiso insulating performance decreases with temperature (vs styro) and extruded (but not expanded) polystyrene apparently loses insulation effectiveness over time ... as the trapped gas in the material outgasses.

In some of the stuff I read there was some lamenting over the fact of a scarcity of long-term studies on insulation performance over time.

Have an acquaintance here that just insulated some of his basement recently (within the last couple of years) Think he used Owens-Corning pink board glued up on his walls which are block I believe. Then he left an air gap and constructed a stud wall which was insulated with batts and then drywalled. Probably too new to tell if there are any issues.

Second one, which I just found out about over Christmas, is a relative. He had used foam board which was mechanically attached (not glued) to the wall. Ended up having condensation issues, with water seeping out from under the foam board.

He ended up ripping it out and having the basement walls spray-foamed then put up a stud wall with drywall. Didn't use any batt insulation to leave an air gap. Says he has removable access panels in a couple of spots and has checked it and sees no evidence of condensation ... but he also runs a dehumidifier during at least one season (probably summer)

He did say that his foundation walls were solid poured concrete but not smooth - the forms that were used made it appear as though the walls were made out of brick ... which, IIRC, is how your basement walls are (at least on the outside ?)

He offered me all the foam board - which is 1 1/2" - which he still has out in his garage. Told him I'd be happy to give it a home.

In reading the installation instructions for the polyiso from Johns-Mansville, they recommend facing the foil side (which is the vapor barrier) towards the interior and taping all the joints (if it was placed outside it would be reversed)

They further recommend if you are going to construct a stud wall that it be placed directly against the foam board, and if insulation is used, that it be unfaced ... to allow moisture migration from the cavity into the structure.

Don't think I'm going to run into much in the way of moisture issues here, basement seems pretty dry generally (no sump or pump) ... although I can't see what vapor is migrating into the space from the foundation or floor.

I think I have a roll of blue sill gasket here somewhere, and if not I'll pick up a couple of rolls and run it under any interior stud walls that are on concrete to avoid moisture wicking up through the concrete.

Thanks for sharing the video ... (y)

/ Good morning!!!! #161,834  
Good morning! 26 now and sunny, high of 40 or so today.

I know we are making a grocery run today, will find something else to do as well. Yesterday was pretty much an energy conservation day.

@check - have you lost your smell as well? I know when I had C@vid, Turkey and chicken were like earring soggy cardboard. When the taste began to return, some things were ok, other things were pretty nasty tasting, and other things simply had no taste. Onions and coffee were some of the worst offenders in nasty taste.

2 years+, smell is still pretty minimal. Tho this year, I can smell wood smoke.

@buckeyefarmer - I thought about 40 when we were about half way to Hagerstown. Next year, I may just take 40 from Frederick and avoid that mess on I-70. It seems to be getting worse.

Everyone stay safe out there!
2 YEARS! Holy smokes, I don’t think I could last that long with no sense of taste or smell. Right now I have neither, and I was hoping it wouldn’t last very long. I have lost my sense of taste sometimes when I had a bad cold, but that only lasted until the cold was over. If this is Covid lost of taste and smell lasts for very long I’m going to go crazy!😟

/ Good morning!!!! #161,835  
Good evening all. 41ºF for the start, partly cloudy, windy. Very windy, sky became mostly cloudy, and high temp was 69ºF. Men's meeting to start day, then putter and trip to bike shop. Gas was $2.63 / gal. Nap after getting home.
Randy(wag) glad vine is now trimmed. Sorry about the forgotten tool.
Drew hope coffee was good, have been trying to reduce sugar myself, it is in so many processed food, condiments, etc makes it more of a challenge. Who certifies gas?
Ron glad plan worked yesterday. Sounds like good plan for today. nice pic.
Kilroy I take it fire went out. I use a few drops of gas or premix to help start reluctant engines. I was at bike shop, they said most stuff coming in better now, but they have back orders with Oct, '23 expected fill date. Hope honey-do list not too long.
Buppies Thanks for the warning. prayers sent.
Scotty good to hear rainfall looking good. Hope you get forecasted rain
Billy hope you could take advantage of the warmer weather. Glad the spikes helped you on the hike nice pics
Mike thanks for the update. prayers sent.
RNG hope you could start trip. Hope insurance not too big of a pain.
Bill hope you had fun plowing/seat time.
Paul pretty good batting all heater blowing hot air at days end.
Bill they have not invited me back, yet. They are going to change filters and clean screens, and change one batter. They wanted to know if anything else was on computer.
Jim wife gone then returns and no update to Honey-do list? WOW
Rich glad you got a energy conservation day. Chemo did similar things to wife's sense of smell and taste.
Frits thank you for sharing that update. Really neat about daughter. Sorry about shoulder, has it been evaluated by PT person? Good luck with mini split.
Mark good to see you are warming up.
Kyle software has really changed sine I was working win CAM programs. Looks like TCPC is accomplished on machine control. Most of the readily available CAM packages like MastercCam were 2 1/2 axis, and many of the Machine controls were 2 1/2 axis. (mid'80's). Used NCL by NCCS which is still around, gets used in a lot of aircraft work.
Ted glad you got luck on no wind damage. Hope trip to store was successful. Hope paper work went well, no this groups favorite pass time :)
David energy conservation is an important skill and accomplishment.
ljj Welcome to GM thread. I lived in Missouri for 60 y STL and Rolla area.
Frits sorry about Zion's cough.
Bill glad plowing done, hope easy fix for chain.
Dennis glad you are such a short timer !!
RS hope the leftovers were still good :) sorry about the over use of well water. Hope today went well.
Gstrom sorry about cataracts, guy had brights on in subdivision, and got bad glare. Good luck with water cooler.
Thomas glad short day, sorry about Mrs fall, prayers sent. nice kitty pic
Dennis nice to hear you reconnected with former coworker. Okay does he have more tractors than you?
Frits Peking Duck is nice surprise. Glad no serious damage.
Don thanks for sharing.
Randy(wag) most peope spoiled with multiple grocery stores only 5 minutes away. Thinking ahead is skill that has atrophied in many people. Good luck with aunt.
Ted glad shopping went well. sorry about dryer, hope switch was the problem. I have anti-bug screen on dryer vent on roof, usually it is culprit. Glad you are getting some moisture.
Kyle sorry o hear you are laying on couch. prayers sent.
RS nice progress today sorry about not getting the beef stroganoff. Glad the video helped you, slab foundation here so not much help.
prayer for all, especially Jay/Peg, Kyle /Daughter, /mom's breathing, /learning new job, /friends upcoming new baby, /son's migraines, Bird /aging issues, Ron /broken arm and heart, Billy /mom hypertension & congestive heart failure, David(moss) /remodel, /divorce, Buppies /new skin cancer spot and treatment, /elbow healing, /wife knee healing, Thomas /gout, Phil /reflux, /wife's fall and recovery, Frits/ daughters hip replacement /veteran son with mental issues, Ken /dad possible dementia, /uncle's surgery, Steppenwolfe /son-auto immune disorder, Grev /wife's eye, Ted /knee recovery, /retirement & disability red tape, /family issues, /wife feeling bad, Lou /eye issues, Doug and wife/health issues, / hand nerve and surgery, /fall and recovery, / wife headaches and heart eval, / David(sadamo)/Sophie's new eye surgery recovery, Chris /neighbor's granddaughter and Covid issues, Scaredy/shoulder dislocation, /marriage not doing well, / friend stop drinking, Paul/ wife's healing from back surgery, Dennis /retirement, /coughing, /neighbor issues, /land development, / brother "alligallyitus" and back in hospital, Drew /foot heel issues, /friend's wife cancer diagnosis and recovery, mike /wife's surgery, Scotty, /back pain, Frits /daughter recovery from surgery, Helogabals /second opinion, /wife's friend situation, Mark /wife colon surgery, Fatjay /father broken hip, Ukraine war, and Country.

/ Good morning!!!! #161,836  
Drinking first cup of coffee. 33° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 48° with cloudy skies. Meeting with finance guy went very well. Will be set for many more years. Trip to Williams Gun Sight did not get me one for my 510. But did get a phone number for a person that can help. Good thing I left credit cards and check book at home. Saved a lot of money. Lots of guns and accessories to spend money on there. Neighbor did stock up on ammo while I watched his 9 month old daughter. So much fun with that.
Grocery shopping today. Then work on installing paddle shut off switch on lathe.
I keep a aerator on my Garden Pond year around. Hole it creates in ice froze over until yesterday. Doves like to drink from the open water.
hlgGu8l.jpg

Thomas, hope wife heals from fall quickly.

Everyone stay well and safe.

Good Morning All.

/ Good morning!!!! #161,837  
good morning all
26 and dry, going up to high 40's today and tomorrow, nice warming trend.

lots planned for today
Landlady invited me over for pancakes this morning. That was nice; I made her some cranberry orange muffins.
Nice 80 yo Swedish lady with wonderful kids who will take over property mgmt from her, whole relationship is simply great. I got lucky...
but perhaps we make some of our own luck. ?

thomas, so sorry about wife's fall. Sounds like you will have to share extra ice cream with her...

Mostly, I learned about certified gas when the Audi plugged an injector from something in the fuel.
Most of the majors qualify, but not all. Not Sheetz, where I got the bad gas. My Volvo has same recommendation which
I follow carefully since it is both a supercharged and turbocharged engine. Whole issue is protocols in maintaining fuel integrity I believe.
Like how many hours before changing fuel filters, etc. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the additive pack of the fuel.

Utterly delighted to see that Costco fuel was "certified" (they have some other name for it) and 93 premium was 3.75 a gallon.
that's a whole dollar cheaper than stations close to me. So instead of paying fifty bucks to fill up half the tank, the pump dinged
at 35. That's more like it.

Ron, your pics are wonderful. Those birds clearly have warmer feet than mine...

I'm happy to be alive, with a cup of coffee and a muffin to start my day. I dumped extra cranberries into the muffins, as well as fresh squeezed
OJ, so the muffins are a little tart, the way I like them.

let's see what the day will bring.

/ Good morning!!!! #161,838  
35 and it looks like it won't get below freezing again for at least a week. Highs in the 60s. Maybe give the woodstove (and my firewood supply) a rest.

Thomas and Rip, hope your wives are feeling better each day.

Kyle, hope you can recover soon enough to enjoy some of your time off.

Ron, our bird baths finally thawed yesterday enough to dump the ice and refill with fresh water...many birds immediately jumped in and had pool parties.

Split some large rounds yesterday, and may load the empty box on the tractor and go after another load today, then roast some coffee...my taste testers are coming in for a few days (NC son and DIL).

/ Good morning!!!! #161,839  
Good morning, low temp 35 and going to a high of 39°F. Wind S 8 mph. 60% chance of showers. It is going to be on the plus side of zero all week. This is good. After the chain repairs tomorrow the temps can go back down below freezing as far as I am concerned.

I have three of my four snow dumps defined. The biggest one (50 x 50') I wont use until the others get full. My loader will reach 9' up and I pile the snow that high with a ramp and then push over the top, much the same as piling gravel.

North Bay trip is a go for today. It looks like I will be paying $1.359/L ($5.14/US Gal.) for regular gas. I'll let you know how that went when I get back.

Ron, our bird baths finally thawed yesterday enough to dump the ice and refill with fresh water...many birds immediately jumped in and had pool parties.

Do the cats get busted for hunting over the bait? 🤣

Have a safe day all

/ Good morning!!!! #161,840  
Good Morning!

God has given us another chance to get it right (or at least not screw up too badly).

Currently 32.7 - nice to not be running water all night!!!

I got my beehive platform mostly assembled, I just need to add diagonal braces to the legs, I also got the concrete footings it will sit upon dug and poured.

Since I worked on bee stuff, the firewood and lumber is still in the vertical position - but that is fine, since it is not as time-critical as having a place for the bees to move into.

Today will start with the pickup going to the dealer for oil change and brakes - when we bought it, we also purchased the Lifetime Warranty from the dealer. So all the oul changes get done there as a condition of the warranty. One less thing for me to make a mess with in the driveway.

Have a happy, healthy, safe, productive, blessed day!