Good movies,,, well there are a few.......

/ Good movies,,, well there are a few....... #861  
We were saturated with glowing accounts of how great nuclear power was going to be, how cheap, clean and easy it was...why, you could run a train from coast coast on a teaspoon full. I later worked for an energy company who had large nuclear holdings in several capacities, including as a permitting engineer. To make a long story short, IMHO, the nuclear industry, in conjunction with the government, shot themselves in the foot by being too cavalier with safety engineering and too careless with their waste.
Oh so true 2Lane . . . WA has a mess.

/ Good movies,,, well there are a few....... #862  
We were saturated with glowing accounts of how great nuclear power was going to be, how cheap, clean and easy it was...why, you could run a train from coast coast on a teaspoon full. I later worked for an energy company who had large nuclear holdings in several capacities, including as a permitting engineer. To make a long story short, IMHO, the nuclear industry, in conjunction with the government, shot themselves in the foot by being too cavalier with safety engineering and too careless with their waste.
Was not in that business but the Navy and they way they handled nuclear power was always the example that people pointed to.

Who remembers the Thresher?

/ Good movies,,, well there are a few....... #863  
Was not in that business but the Navy and they way they handled nuclear power was always the example that people pointed to.

Who remembers the Thresher?
I have a friend who suffered serious radiation exposure during an equipment failure of some kind on a nuclear submarine.

/ Good movies,,, well there are a few....... #864  
   / Good movies,,, well there are a few....... #865  
Seeing on the news today about the POTUS test driving the new Ford 150...and the recent posts about the cars in Bullit...it reminded me of this scene from the movie 'Shelby'...it depicts Shelby giving the CEO of Ford a "ride" in their prototype...

/ Good movies,,, well there are a few....... #866  
I have a friend who suffered serious radiation exposure during an equipment failure of some kind on a nuclear submarine.
I was not in the nuke business but i was in the navy business. In trade journals and general BSing the navy was always referenced as the standard in nuclear power.

Cold fusion is the answer if they can ever figure it out.

/ Good movies,,, well there are a few....... #867  
I was not in the nuke business but i was in the navy business. In trade journals and general BSing the navy was always referenced as the standard in nuclear power.

Cold fusion is the answer if they can ever figure it out.
Yeah, true...it was the Thresher disaster that really pushed improved quality.
However, sometimes "mission readiness" resulted in bad decisions...one result was the USS Scorpion sinking. An abbreviated overhaul resulted in a sub being deployed before everything was fixed

/ Good movies,,, well there are a few....... #868  
Last edited:
   / Good movies,,, well there are a few....... #869  
   / Good movies,,, well there are a few....... #870  
Saw an old Clint Eastwood movie on TV the other night; entitled "Blood Work'. It was actually a pretty good movie, although I had it figured out before the plot was revealed. Later watched "Tightrope", which was OK, but nothing special.