Good Samaritans

3 Horse Ranch

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH B50H Cab, Ford 1715, Poulan Pro 46
September 14th was a day I will long remember and not in a good way for what initially happened, but with good memories of how it all turned out in the end. We went to McDonald's for breakfast, came back to the old house and hooked up to the horse trailer. Backed down to the barn and proceeded to load the horses. While it wasn't without a few problems, they loaded much better than I thought they would.
At about 11:30 we headed east on Hwy 20 through North Cascades Park and Washington Pass taking it easy to keep the horses calm. All was going well until we got up past Ross Lake, a car passed and motioned for me to pull over. When I did he said "Your wheel came off, your right rear wheel came off, about hit me, then crossed the road and about hit an oncoming car." I went back, and sure enough. He put his 4 ways on and followed me until I got to a safe place to pull over. He then offered to take me back to get the wheel which was a couple of miles back. When we got to the wheel I was dumbstruck. The axle had snapped off just outside of the backing plate. It had plenty of grease, but had just snapped.
There was no limping on, there we sat for about 3 hours, no cell service, no way of calling for help. I couldn't disconnect and leave the horses alone, and I couldn't leave my blind brother with them. The first good Samaritan, Don Grace, had offered to call a tow when he got to Winthrop, but none ever showed. I later talked to him and he tried but no tow company had a spare horse trailer and nobody would deal with a trailer with animals inside, so none came. Don did call the State Patrol who got hold of the U.S. Park Service. At about 3:30 U.S. Park Ranger Steven Sigala, the second good Samaritan, stopped behind us and after finding out the problem worked for hours, driving down to Newhalem, about 15 winding and hilly miles to where he had cell service to make arrangements and back to us to keep us informed, at least three round trips. He said no matter what it took he would get us off the pass. On his last visit he informed us that someone volunteered to drive up from Concrete, WA. about 40 miles down the valley.
Just before dark Mr. Wood, our third good Samaritan, showed up with a horse trailer and with much more difficulty we loaded the horses and hauled them back to where we started. He told us to meet him in Lyman and lead him to the house as it was completely dark. I offered to pay for his fuel at he Lyman fuels but Mr. Wood refused and said he just wanted to get home.
The trailer has been picked up now and is in Mount Vernon to get 2 new axles, in a few weeks time we will have a usable trailer, meanwhile a horse hauler was hired to do the job and the horses are getting used to their new home.
All I can say is thank God no one or no other vehicles were involved, thank God it all worked out in the end, and thank God for and God bless those three good Samaritans., Don Grace, Park Ranger Steven Sigala, and Mr. Wood of Concrete, WA

That's my good Samaritan story of recent past, Just wondering if others have similar stories that might renew faith in our fellow man.

Last edited:

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
When we got to the wheel I was dumbstruck. The axle had snapped off just outside of the backing plate. It had plenty of grease, but had just snapped.
I remember an episode of one of those police accident investigation/reconstruction shows many years back. This one was in Canada and a truck had lost a wheel, but the results were much more unfortunate. After the cause was determined, the investigator stated it was the closest thing he had ever seen to a true accident where no one could be blamed. It was basically the same thing, the axle had broken internally, metal fatigue. He said there was no routine inspection or maintenance that could have found it, only some sort of disassembly and x-ray.

Citydude

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 HSTC
September 14th was a day I will long remember and not in a good way. Went to McDonald's for breakfast, came back to the old house and hooked up to the horse trailer. Backed down to the barn and proceeded to load the horses. While it wasn't without a few problems, they loaded much better than I thought they would.
At about 11:30 we headed east on Hwy 20 taking it easy to keep the horses calm. All was going well until we got up past Ross Lake, a car passed and motioned for me to pull over. When I did he said "Your wheel came off, your right rear wheel came off, about hit me, then crossed the road and about hit an oncoming car." I went back, and sure enough. He put his 4 ways on and followed me until I got to a safe place to pull over. He then offered to take me back to get the wheel which was a couple of miles back. When we got to the wheel I was dumbstruck. The axle had snapped off just outside of the backing plate. It had plenty of grease, but had just snapped.
There was no limping on, there we sat for about 3 hours, no cell service, no way of calling for help. I couldn't disconnect and leave the horses alone, and I couldn't leave my blind brother with them. The first good Samaritan, Don Grace, had offered to call a tow when he got to Winthrop, but none ever showed. I later talked to him and he tried but no tow company had a spare horse trailer and nobody would deal with a trailer with animals inside, so none came. Don did call the State Patrol who got hold of the U.S. Park Service. At about 3:30 U.S. Park Ranger Steven Sigala, the second good Samaritan, stopped behind us and after finding out the problem worked for hours, driving down to Newhalem, about 15 winding and hilly miles to where he had cell service to make arrangements and back to us to keep us informed, at least three round trips. He said no matter what it took he would get us off the pass. On his last visit he informed us that someone volunteered to drive up from Concrete, WA. about 40 miles down the valley.
Just before dark Mr. Wood, our third good Samaritan, showed up with a horse trailer and with much more difficulty we loaded the horses and hauled them back to where we started. He told us to meet him in Lyman and lead him to the house as it was completely dark. I offered to pay for his fuel at he Lyman fuels but Mr. Wood refused and said he just wanted to get home.
The trailer has been picked up now and is in Mount Vernon to get 2 new axles, in a few weeks time we will have a usable trailer, meanwhile a horse hauler was hired to do the job.
All I can say is thank God no one or no other vehicles were involved, thank God it all worked out in the end, and thank God for and God bless those three good Samaritans., Don Grace, Park Ranger Steven Sigala, and Mr. Wood of Concrete, WA

That's my good Samaritan story of recent past, Just wondering if others have similar stories that might renew faith in our fellow man.

Thanks for posting. Positive outcomes from good samaritans is always good to hear.

OP
3 Horse Ranch

3 Horse Ranch

Platinum Member
Tractor
He said there was no routine inspection or maintenance that could have found it, only some sort of disassembly and x-ray.
Exactly what I thought. Even if it had been disassembled in a normal maintenance procedure you could not have detected it. It was right at the backing plate.

Peace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO30
September 14th was a day I will long remember and not in a good way. Went to McDonald's for breakfast, came back to the old house and hooked up to the horse trailer. Backed down to the barn and proceeded to load the horses. While it wasn't without a few problems, they loaded much better than I thought they would.
At about 11:30 we headed east on Hwy 20 taking it easy to keep the horses calm. All was going well until we got up past Ross Lake, a car passed and motioned for me to pull over. When I did he said "Your wheel came off, your right rear wheel came off, about hit me, then crossed the road and about hit an oncoming car." I went back, and sure enough. He put his 4 ways on and followed me until I got to a safe place to pull over. He then offered to take me back to get the wheel which was a couple of miles back. When we got to the wheel I was dumbstruck. The axle had snapped off just outside of the backing plate. It had plenty of grease, but had just snapped.
The trailer has been picked up now and is in Mount Vernon to get 2 new axles, in a few weeks time we will have a usable trailer, meanwhile a horse hauler was hired to do the job.

Wow! Thank God indeed!

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
Good post god knows there are still decent caring folks around.Glad it all worked out for you.(y)

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I've had wheels break off trailers twice.
The first one was a trailer in front of me and I managed to get the van I was driving (at 60 mph in heavy traffic) positioned so I essentially "headed" it like a soccer ball off the frame of the windshield. Big dent, no crack.
The second off a Uhaul trailer I rented.
Both were scary as all get out.

But to have it happen with virtually no support in the boonies and a live load etc.!

Darn man! Are you buying lottery tickets?

HawkinsHollow

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
I do have a story about crazy stuff flying off trailers though. I was driving down a 4 lane divided highway at night when my buddy and I noticed sparks about 300 feet ahead. Right about the time we noticed that we saw a 20 lb propane tank come clanking by us in the other lane. BUT, we still saw sparks up ahead. We quickly caught up to a trailer that had lost its dual 20lb propane tanks. One clanked down the road, the other was stuck under the axle sparking like all get out. We got the trailer to pull over, disaster averted! This was 30 years ago, but I will never forget it. Scary stuff!

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Thank you for the story. I am glad there are still people out there like that.

My wife has horses and she often hauls them from here to there when I am not with her. We have a service from US Rider. It is like AAA but they will come get the horse trailer and horses as well as your truck if there is a problem. The will even help you find temporary lodging for the horses if needed. Its like $150/yr. AAA is $80 or so. She was going to have that anyway, so for an exta few bucks she gets help with the horses as well. Thankfully we have never had to use it.

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445

My wife has horses and she often hauls them from here to there when I am not with her. We have a service from US Rider. It is like AAA but they will come get the horse trailer and horses as well as your truck if there is a problem. The will even help you find temporary lodging for the horses if needed. Its like $150/yr. AAA is $80 or so. She was going to have that anyway, so for an exta few bucks she gets help with the horses as well. Thankfully we have never had to use it.
+1 for US rider as well, but read the fine print to make sure that it covers you. We found a few carve outs that affected us, but went with it to cover the majority of our needs.

+1 on Good Sam, which really helped us out when the ECM on our Freightliner up and failed with no warning. (And kudos to the Good Samaritan who gave my wife a ride home to civilization from five hours away!) I spent a couple of days living at the repair shop while they sorted it out.

All the best,

Peter

drssg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700, BX2350
That is my nightmare scenario: to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with horses in the trailer. Having no cell service just really tops it off. It's nice to hear about your good samaritan.

I do have a story that is nowhere near as dramatic. I was cruising on my motorcycle and towing a small cargo trailer on the wide open freeway at 75 mph. A man in the lane to my left rolled down his window, honked his horn, and motioned to pull off the road.

I was leery, but his expression didn't look angry or crazy, and I pulled off into the breakdown lane. He walked back and informed me that the hitch on my trailer was about to break loose.

He was actually wrong. The trailer hitch is on a swivel to improve handling on low speed turns and the connector often rides at a bit of an angle, but it is firmly connected.

He apologized for needlessly stopping me on the interstate, but I thought it was very nice that he would go to that effort, and I told him so.

There really are quite a few nice people in the world, and they usually don't make the news.

OP
3 Horse Ranch

3 Horse Ranch

Platinum Member
Tractor

Thanks for the info. I have AAA but they were of no help because of the horses. The first good Samaritan called them when he got to a place with cell service. they did nothing. I am considering dropping them. but will likely keep them because this is sparsely populated country once you get away from the river valley.

My brother had bought property in Tonasket and this was a one time move and the horses are just his pasture pets now that he is totally blind and no longer rides. I am his caretaker/transportation coordinator/handyman/.... but have little experience with horses.

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
I have US Rider, and a big name insurance. US Rider is OK. But my big name insurance covered my recovery efforts from half-way across the country much better. Our gooseneck was an issue finding someone to not only recover from the accident scene but also get back home. Luck would have it, the manufacturer has a recovery/tow service available and they dispatched a good Samaritan to assist. From half-way across the country.

Our big deal going cross country with horses provided some expensive but valuable service and information:

1. Communications are a big deal, OnStar, Cell, Wifi coverage is a must.
2. Planning for rest and recovery stops, there are plenty of people who can provide stop over and hook up services.
Seek those people/establishments out on your route.
3. Read the fine print on your insurance coverages.
Dispatch times.
Haul distances.
Equipment coverage.
Rental truck/car agreement.
4. Make sure your insurance can work with you from out of state locations.
Vehicle paperwork from state to state, power of attorney, release forms all are things they need to handle.

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
@riptides Care to share who the big name insurer was?

I agree with 100% about the complexities of planning when moving animals. Unloading on a freeway is not something that I ever want to do. (But sometimes the totally unforeseen happens, like with @3 Horse Ranch.)

All the best,

Peter

Buppies

Tractor
Kubota L5240 Toro 60inch Z Master 21 inch walk behind Polaris 900 hunter edition 30in toro walk behind
Thanks for sharing your story 3 horse and glad everyone was ok. There are good people in the world and your story proves that

NorTracNY

Platinum Member

I hope you never need to use US Rider. I read a story about a poor guy that needed to use it. It was useless. They did nothing to help other than call around to try and find someone in the area who might come help on a Sunday. The person that responded charged them hundreds of dollars and it took many hours. With a smart phone, they could have done the same. It wasn't like US Rider had a network of places that could help. They just collect premiums and call around trying to help if a customer gets in trouble. The person that responded wasn't going to hope some little company was going to reimburse him.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
It was 1982. We had sold our house in Anchorage and were moving down to this property in NE WA state. Had a new Chevy pu and a rented U-haul trailer. I was somewhat surprised that the rental trailer had no spare tire. Was told that too many accidents from folks attempting to change the spare tire. "Just call U-haul and they will come and change the spare".

So ....... half way between Haines Junction, AK and Haines, AK - a flat. This was before cell phones and I really doubt that a cell phone would have helped. 75 miles back to Haines Junction - 75 miles on to Haines.

Sat there for two hours and not a single vehicle. We were scheduled to meet the Alaska Marine Highway System( a ferry ) in Haines the next morning.

So ..... I just said "to Hell with it" and drove, slowly on into Haines. Got there in the middle of the night. The tire had long since left the rim and the rim was battered beyond belief.

The Good Samaritan appears. Were able to reach the owner of a local tire store. Got a new rim and tire. Made the ferry and then arrived in Seattle.

But the story continues. From Seattle to Omak, WA where my parents lived. Went to turn in the U-haul and they would not honor the tire/rim bill. Said - "you should have called us". After some rather blunt discussion - the bill was honored.

Most of our trips "outside" have been long forgotten. I will never forget this one.

thepumpguysc

Elite Member
Tractor
Injection Pump Rebuilder
When I graduated from diesel college in the mid to late 80’s in Nashville, I told myself on the long ride home to SC that now that I have the knowledge, I’ll stop and help any motorist stuck on the highway..
Holy smokes was that a long 6 hr drive.!! Lol
I know there’s A LOT of folks who appreciated me that day.!!
In the business I’m in, I see them ALL THE TIME..
People who give me their worn out pump, when they buy new ones, so I can send small parts to customers at no charge or just the freight..
I had 1 fella this month that needed his pump back for a core.. his pump was going to be too expensive to build and parts were going to be 2-3 weeks out..
I told him the tear down and estimate were free but the freight back to him was going to be 18.00..
Most people would have rounded that up to 20.00..
Much to my surprise, I received a check in the mail for $75.00.!!!
I get that all the time..mail out a small part or gasket at NO CHARGE.. and a week later, get a check for $20.00..
So I KNOW they are still out there.. and I’m proud to be one.!!

OP
3 Horse Ranch

3 Horse Ranch

Platinum Member
Tractor
Most of our trips "outside" have been long forgotten. I will never forget this one.
I made close to a dozen trips over the passes from Sedro Woolley to Tonasket pulling a car hauler with the tools, tractor, vehicles, tractor implements and everything else involved in moving a hobby ranch. Only two of the trips will be remembered, the one with the horses, never forgotten, and one trip I had to take over Stevens Pass because of the fires near Winthrop. That one I was sitting at a stoplight in Monroe and got rear-ended by a guy texting while driving. No real damage to my trailer, but his SUV got a little dinged. But that one will likely fade in a few years.

civilian

Veteran Member
Tractor
Gravely Pro 16 walk behind, Kubota BX2230, Kubota B26TLB
It was 1982. We had sold our house in Anchorage and were moving down to this property in NE WA state. Had a new Chevy pu and a rented U-haul trailer. I was somewhat surprised that the rental trailer had no spare tire. Was told that too many accidents from folks attempting to change the spare tire. "Just call U-haul and they will come and change the spare".

So ....... half way between Haines Junction, AK and Haines, AK - a flat. This was before cell phones and I really doubt that a cell phone would have helped. 75 miles back to Haines Junction - 75 miles on to Haines.

Sat there for two hours and not a single vehicle. We were scheduled to meet the Alaska Marine Highway System( a ferry ) in Haines the next morning.

So ..... I just said "to Hell with it" and drove, slowly on into Haines. Got there in the middle of the night. The tire had long since left the rim and the rim was battered beyond belief.

The Good Samaritan appears. Were able to reach the owner of a local tire store. Got a new rim and tire. Made the ferry and then arrived in Seattle.

But the story continues. From Seattle to Omak, WA where my parents lived. Went to turn in the U-haul and they would not honor the tire/rim bill. Said - "you should have called us". After some rather blunt discussion - the bill was honored.

When I rented Uhauls in the past I got in the habit of them checking tire pressures before I left their lot. A few were quite low. Jon

JasperFrank

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
An Atheist would have done the same. :)
Just say'en.