Goodyear Assurances? Need tire recommendation

/ Goodyear Assurances? Need tire recommendation #1  

motownbrowne

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota mx4700 HST, New Holland TC-29D
Size is 185/70-14. I should be donning snow tires right about now, but we're about to do a 6000 mile road trip. I'm looking for an all-season with the best winter tread possible. I'm only putting 2 on right now. Vehicle is a 2001 Honda civic.

Local dealer recommended Goodyear Assurance tires. Discount tire recommended them too. Price locally is $240 OTD, Discount tire is $214. I'll probably ask the local guys to come down to $220, but buy from them either way.

I've also looked at Yokohama AVID touring-s tires, and Kuhmo Solus kr-21s. Both are about the same price. Also, the local former Chevy dealer where we get our oil changed wanted to put Vanderbilt grand prix or Sumic gt-as on. The internet seems to tell me that those are no-name discount tires.

Any thoughts? Should I just go for the Goodyears, or is there something else out there?

/ Goodyear Assurances? Need tire recommendation #2  
Check the reviews on tire rack.com and then check the prices on discount-tire.com I just bought snow tires and rims for my truck off discount-tire.

/ Goodyear Assurances? Need tire recommendation #3  
I have used Goodyear Assurance Tripletread on my Subaru twice and they easily go 100,000 miles and are awesome in the snow. My wife hates driving in the snow, but these tires give her confidence like I would not have believed. The Subaru came with the lousiest tires I have ever owned and when I changed to the Goodyears I was truly amazed. On the Subaru, with all wheel drive, you almost can't make the tires spin. We have and uphill driveway about 400 feet long with a switchback halfway up and it comes right up with a foot of unplowed snow. Only drawback is they are slightly noisier than the other tires, but nothing that borders on annoying, just slightly noisier. As you can tell, I'm a fan for life.

/ Goodyear Assurances? Need tire recommendation #4  
Costco has regular Michelin or Bridgestones on sale for about $100 apiece. I use the Bridgestone Blizzaks (REAL snow tires) on extra sets of wheels on all my cars and a truck.

Don't put on just 2. If 2 go on the front, you will loose the rear in a turn or under heavy braking. If used on the rear, you won't get any decent traction.

/ Goodyear Assurances? Need tire recommendation #5  
purchased a brand new awd dodge charger for my wife 1 year ago and the stock tires were so bad even the salesman thought it wasn't working right , while we waited for the repair date I put on 4 new blizzaks with rims and wow !!! just like a different car - almost impossible to burn donnuts even on very icey conditions = sold on blizzaks for life . ( canceled the repair date )

/ Goodyear Assurances? Need tire recommendation
Don't put on just 2. If 2 go on the front, you will loose the rear in a turn or under heavy braking. If used on the rear, you won't get any decent traction.

I appreciate the input. That said, your language is perhaps a little dramatic. I've never "lost the rear" under heavy braking or in a turn. Okay, well, not unintentionally anyway. I'm an exceedingly cautious driver. Two that I have are in good shape, and dropping the extra cash on a full set just isn't in the cards this week.

/ Goodyear Assurances? Need tire recommendation #7  
Just watch out for those Chinese tires. They've gotten notorious for making rip off, low quality tries, even some under name brand labels. I read somewhere in all my reading.