GPS recommendations

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
Wife's been bugging me to do a road trip, we're figuring on taking it next year and I was considering getting a GPS. Usually I just go with a road atlas (and still plan to use that over the big picture) but they don't show much detail beyond the state/federal highways.
I've seen off brand ones on Amazon for fairly cheap money? Any experience with these? How do they compare to a Garmin? Don't want to spend a lot on something that we probably won't use that much, but also want something that's gonna work.

I don't have (or want) a smart phone, so that option is off the table.

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
Garmin.
Buy one with a decent sized display and lifetime map updates.
Smartphones are great but where there is no cell service you cannot beat an old school Garmin. I do not plan on being without one.

kenmbz

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720/Simplicity Regents/Echo CS-490/CS-620
I use off line maps on my smartphone when in Utah etc.
Agreed, Garmin, and make sure lifetime updates.Things change all the time. Not having real time traffic would be a deal breaker for me though.

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
I use off line maps on my smartphone when in Utah etc.
Agreed, Garmin, and make sure lifetime updates.Things change all the time. Not having real time traffic would be a deal breaker for me though.

Garmin has traffic info if you get one set up for it.

deserteagle71

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 diesel, Kubota M7060HDC12
Garmin.
Buy one with a decent sized display and lifetime map updates.
Smartphones are great but where there is no cell service you cannot beat an old school Garmin. I do not plan on being without one.

All smart phones (at least, any current name brand one) have GPS circuitry built in. Cell service IS NOT needed for the cell phone to function as a GPS unit. The problem is visibility of the phone screen - if you set it to full brightness and staying on constantly, you quickly use up the battery so it needs to be plugged in. That, plus the maps that are included with the cell phone suck (at least here in the West!). They don't show any of the minor (dirt) roads. You can download any number of apps, depending on what you intend to do with the phone GPS, but then you have to learn how to use it and the maps generally are not up-to-date.

At last count I believe I have something like 7 GPS units that I've accumulated through the years. Most are Garmin but a couple are Delorme (which recently was swallowed up by Garmin). The people I've talked to who have tried the off-brand GPS units were not very happy with them. If you get a Garmin automotive unit it will come with City Navigator maps; Garmin updates these at least twice a year so you'll always have the latest maps. But City Navigator maps are strictly for main roads - they also don't show a lot of the minor dirt roads. Which is not a problem - you can go to a site like gpsfiledepot.com and download free topo maps for whatever state you are interested in and they will be very detailed. Then you can choose which maps you want to display on your GPS unit. The other thing very handy about having an automotive unit with the City Navigator maps is that you will have an updated listed of service stations, motels, eateries, etc. - choose which category you are looking for and the GPS will bring up all options within so many miles. Or choose an address, enter it into the GPS unit and it will guide you right to that address.

I don't know how I survived without a GPS unit for all these years....I would have never known there was a "Boobs" Canyon to explore if it didn't pop up on my GPS unit!
P1001133r.jpg

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
Not trying to sell you a cell phone but maybe help someone else, but in my F150, which doesn’t have built in navigation, if I plug my phone in the maps show up on the built in screen and it gives turn by turn directions over the radio. My phone came with Waze on it, it updates all the time to. I used it the first time yesterday to look at what exits were closed in the Quad Cities area. Kind of handy for that. One advantage of the smart phones is the maps update automatically and for free.

OP
O

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
Thanks for the info, Looks like a Garmin is the way to go. Traffic option seems to add almost 50% to the price, and from what I can tell from the write-ups still requires a "compatible" smart phone so in my case seems like a waste of money. Probably much more handy for commuters.

I notice Amazon lists a lot of refurb/used units. Good idea or not? I'm a bit skeptical about buying used...if it was working OK, why would someone get rid of it? I can't imagine new ones are all that much better than one only a few years old.

Also, is an outside antenna a good idea? I had one in my company truck at the last place I worked, and it seemed to take forever to lock on satellites thru the windshield...an external antenna was pretty much a must, but this would have been an early-mid 00s vintage unit, I would hope newer ones would be better.

Liquidsilver

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M5400
I'm a big fan of the Garmin dash-top units, but they are pretty difficult to learn to use really effectively.

I HAVE to use specialized GPS (like the backpacking kind) when I'm in extreme backwoods motorcycling where smart phones don't work... and they are made to get wet and dirty and banged around.

BUT... for a roadtrip on public highways, nothing compares to the smartphone apps like Google Maps and Waze, in my opinion. They use real-time traffic data and the location info from the thousands of vehicles around you to help you navigate and avoid traffic tie-ups. They also usually know when there's a temporary road closure that a traditional GPS will hijack you on. Sometimes the app will tell you to take an exit that makes no sense, but then you find that you avoided a 30-minute jam. They're not always perfect, but way better than just knowing where you're going. ;)

I often travel for business and never use a map. All I need is the address and Google Maps tells me how to get there, and sometimes where to park.

I like to be away from technology whenever I can, but the smartphone GPS is a real game changer for me.

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
I've had numerous GPS units over time. I get the units from Garmin you can load maps into like Topo or City Navigator. The current one I've had for many years a Garmin Montana 600. You can customize screens and even setup profiles for like straight line gps navigation or follow road navigation. The downsides is they are proud of these units and the mapping software.
If I'm out in the sticks and have the topo maps loaded I can switch maps for interesting places like this.
20200903_173915[1].jpg

deserteagle71

Veteran Member
Tractor
Thanks for the info, Looks like a Garmin is the way to go. Traffic option seems to add almost 50% to the price, and from what I can tell from the write-ups still requires a "compatible" smart phone so in my case seems like a waste of money. Probably much more handy for commuters.

I notice Amazon lists a lot of refurb/used units. Good idea or not? I'm a bit skeptical about buying used...if it was working OK, why would someone get rid of it? I can't imagine new ones are all that much better than one only a few years old.

Also, is an outside antenna a good idea? I had one in my company truck at the last place I worked, and it seemed to take forever to lock on satellites thru the windshield...an external antenna was pretty much a must, but this would have been an early-mid 00s vintage unit, I would hope newer ones would be better.

Don't know about the used units - but the refurb units are just fine. They've been tested so you know they work.

External antenna is not needed in most cases. Matter of fact, most of the newer automotive units have no external antenna port so you can't use an external antenna. All my older units did have them but the only time I found an external antenna necessary was in my truck with a metal-bodied cabover camper that covered the whole cab and a good part of the hood of the truck. Otherwise the units work fine in all my rigs without needing an external antenna.

This is an excellent source for anything GPS: Garmin GPS, RAM Mounts, Lowrance GPS at GPS City

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag

I have 2 Garmin with traffic, neither requires a cell phone, data plan or any other extra connection or subscription. The traffic antenna is built into the Garmin power cord and the whole system ( both of them) work fine without any external antenna.

MF RED in MT

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
I've had numerous GPS units over time. I get the units from Garmin you can load maps into like Topo or City Navigator. The current one I've had for many years a Garmin Montana 600. You can customize screens and even setup profiles for like straight line gps navigation or follow road navigation. The downsides is they are proud of these units and the mapping software.
If I'm out in the sticks and have the topo maps loaded I can switch maps for interesting places like this.
View attachment 668513

And you need a place to stay...

KC

BLOODY DICK CABIN.jpg

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
i have a Garmin 61... use it nearly every day for business. only way to go.

Topzide

Silver Member
Tractor
Iseki 2140 & 2160
Plus on a Garmin with lifetime mapping updates! With the Garmins, you can do a detour or find place to eat, sleep and find fuel. All a plus when traveling. Garmin also has there own refurbished outlet. Got the wife a Drive 5 version and was able to add a backup cam to it since her vehicle doesn't have one.

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
Plus on a Garmin with lifetime mapping updates! With the Garmins, you can do a detour or find place to eat, sleep and find fuel. All a plus when traveling. Garmin also has there own refurbished outlet. Got the wife a Drive 5 version and was able to add a backup cam to it since her vehicle doesn't have one.
mine you the updates take 3 hours. my garmin has been updating for last 1.5 hours...not quite 50%

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
mine you the updates take 3 hours. my garmin has been updating for last 1.5 hours...not quite 50%

On DSL updates were an overnight event. Here on Charter Internet it takes an hour or a bit more. But updating is a chore that does require a bit of planning so it is not a huge inconvenience.

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
Another vote for Garmin with lifetime map updates and live traffic updates. I bought the largest screen model I could get and love it. They have lots of features and do takes some getting used to, so I found the best way to get comfortable with it is to use it a lot. I add a Saved Place every time I take a trip to a regular stop of mine, even if less than an hour away. I have dozens of stores, parks, camp sites, etc saved. Now when I'm out somewhere and want to hop to another point I use the Garmin. Even if I know of a better or preferred route I can take my route and let the Garmin recalculate. I love the shift to street view on mine, showing actual street level photos of complex exits and ramps as I approach, with arrows indicating the proper lanes to be in. Using it more often than needed makes it MUCH easier to use when I really need it, especially when it comes to searching or entering a new point or address. I've even packed it when traveling by air on business trips so I can use it in my rental cars at the destination city.

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
All smart phones (at least, any current name brand one) have GPS circuitry built in. Cell service IS NOT needed for the cell phone to function as a GPS unit.

The vast majority of folks using smart phones for navigation are using Google Maps or Apple. Neither work in real time without cell service.

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
If you have cell service when you start a trip and then lose it, the navigation will continue. The picture will lose all the detail, just a line for the road you are on, but the directions will continue.

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
If you have cell service when you start a trip and then lose it, the navigation will continue. The picture will lose all the detail, just a line for the road you are on, but the directions will continue.

Many years ago I decided to try using GPS on my cell for the first time, rather than my usual paper mapping for my trip. It was working pretty slick and I was proud of myself for embracing new technology. Then, within a few miles of an unfamiliar area that I planned to rely on the GPS the most for exits and interchanges, I drove under into a weather front that was completely overcast and raining. My phone screen locked up and had the "searching for signal" type message. I panicked and focused on the phone trying to get it to recover while I missed my exit, adding about half an hour to my trip. Phones have improved a lot since then. :)

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
My last Garmin (don't remember what model) came with 1free map update. It got us lost to the tune of a couple hours on two different occasions. When I went to cash in the update it didn't have enough built in memory and I had to add an SD card. Not that big of a deal but just saying.

I think it's still buried in the center console of the wife's car.

saxnbees

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti/NX4510HST, JD/40, Grillo G110 Walking Tractor
I use my cell phone and the app Here WeGo. It used to be called Here maps. You do not need a cell signal to start a route and I find the maps to be more accurate in our rural area of Maine than the other alternative apps I tried. If you are going to a place where cell service is spotty, you can download maps for a state, a region, or the entire country to the phone ahead of time. I bought a wire to connect my phone to the power in the car, either USB or cig lighter depending on the car. Then I bought a small gismo that hooks onto the air vent fins to hold the phone at a level I can see at a glance. Turn the brightness up on the phone and you are ready to go. You may need to add a memory chip to the phone if you want to preload a lot of maps. As a bonus, you can use the same phone to provide your favorite music, take pictures, etc.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Garmin is the way to go. With lifetime map updates. I have Garmin in the Taco Wagon( 2018 Ram Power Wagon ), on my motorcycle ( BMW R1200 GSA) and one hand held. The hand held is for when we strike out into the bush.

The principle use for the two in my vehicles. Gives advance verbal notice of upcoming road(s) where I will have to make a turn off the beaten path.

I've had my hand held for over 14 years now. Still on the OEM battery - still functioning as well as brand new. BTW - I've successfully installed numerous software upgrades on this handheld. The handheld has had 14 years in my adventures with Geocaching.

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
We do too. Sometimes you just need to see the big picture. It’s not unheard of to program a particular waypoint in a route specifically to guarantee a certain way of getting from point A to B.

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
Wife's been bugging me to do a road trip, we're figuring on taking it next year and I was considering getting a GPS. Usually I just go with a road atlas (and still plan to use that over the big picture) but they don't show much detail beyond the state/federal highways.
I've seen off brand ones on Amazon for fairly cheap money? Any experience with these? How do they compare to a Garmin? Don't want to spend a lot on something that we probably won't use that much, but also want something that's gonna work.

I don't have (or want) a smart phone, so that option is off the table.

Trust me, at any price there are few GPSs better than this 7" refurbished Garmin for $110. I own two. I also own a $700 Garmin Zumo 595. Much happier with the DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S. The 595 does some motorcycle things the 61 does not but that is all. The 61 will update itself if you connect to WiFi.

Price good through September 6, 2020.

Garmin DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S 6.95" Refurbished GPS w/ 1 Year Warranty

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
We do too. Sometimes you just need to see the big picture. It’s not unheard of to program a particular waypoint in a route specifically to guarantee a certain way of getting from point A to B.

You are a glutton for punishment if you try to compose a complex route directly on a GPS. I often plot 100 mile routes cross country with over 40 shaping points to force the route to the roads I want to take. I use Garmin Basecamp. I don't have much love for Basecamp's interface or reliability but I've figured out how to make it work until Garmin replaces this ignored software.

On the fly I will tell the Garmin to route to the destination and leave "automatic recalculation" turned on. If it tries to send me on a road I know I don't like I simply go the way I want then the GPS reconsiders and figures how to get there the way I'm going.

When using my carefully crafted routes I turn recalculation off because slightest deviation from the route can cause the GPS to throw everything away in favor of a new path of its choosing.

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
Adding a single waypoint to an existing route is easy and does not require me to have additional software.
As always, there are more than one way to accomplish things, just as there are more than one way to get places.

If I had 40 waypoints surely I would be looking for other solutions.

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
Adding a single waypoint to an existing route is easy and does not require me to have additional software.
As always, there are more than one way to accomplish things, just as there are more than one way to get places.

If I had 40 waypoints surely I would be looking for other solutions.

Editing routes on Garmin GPS is clumsy. However one can ad hoc set a destination then set another destination then be asked if this is a new route or should be added to existing as next destination? One can build a hand crafted route this way so long as one knows enough in advance to add the waypoints from destination first working back to the start. Goof and start over.

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
Editing routes on Garmin GPS is clumsy. However one can ad hoc set a destination then set another destination then be asked if this is a new route or should be added to existing as next destination? One can build a hand crafted route this way so long as one knows enough in advance to add the waypoints from destination first working back to the start. Goof and start over.

Yeah. I think at this point I have it down. Been using them for heading for 20 years.

OP
O

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
Trust me, at any price there are few GPSs better than this 7" refurbished Garmin for $110. I own two. I also own a $700 Garmin Zumo 595. Much happier with the DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S. The 595 does some motorcycle things the 61 does not but that is all. The 61 will update itself if you connect to WiFi.

Price good through September 6, 2020.

Garmin DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S 6.95" Refurbished GPS w/ 1 Year Warranty

As it turns out, I decided on the Garmin Drive 61 USA LM which is almost the same thing...$119 new from Amazon. Should have it end of next week.
Thanks for all the info!

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
i have the Garmin Drive 61. it does not have wifi capabilities. which is fine by me.

OP
O

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
i have the Garmin Drive 61. it does not have wifi capabilities. which is fine by me.

Wifi isn't important to me, don't have it at the house anyway, why pay extra for something I'll never use. Figure it's easy enough to do updates thru a computer.

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
Actually, i looked at instructions on my garmin61, and it does not have wifi, but apparently there is a model-of the 61 that does. Weird. Why not give it a different number. Anyways, i dint use any bluetooth junk. Not in house, not in car.

Dont want my gps communicating with my phone. I do use wifi in the house. Need it to get hulu and netflix on tv, to use my ipad, etc.

Personally, ill never use any 5G device. Dont trust it. Dont need it. Im now retired so i dont need to use phone fir business any longer. I dont play gaming online, dont need to stream anything any faster.

The only thing i wish for is for Ziply to bring fiber to my place, which they say is on the way. Its cheaper than the system i use now

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota
I run a Garmin 580 series in my truck and really am not as happy with it as I thought I would be. I bought it for the speed limit warning capabilities because the company I work for has very strict speed limit termination policy. Wander into a speed zone at 15 over twice willl get you terminated. 10 over 3 times will get you terminated. Five over will get you put on a company wide email list and if you stay on that list, it will cost you your safety bonus. Needless to say, they take speeding serious. I run the Garmin and my phone almost all the time just to keep an idea of what they think the speed limit is and 1 to get me to where I am going. The truck GPS wants to take roads way out of the way, on routes I know that there is a better way. I watch the speed limit signs and laugh at the GPS because it is almost always wrong when on anything less than an Interstate, and even then it is suspect! The phone is wrong alot also, but not as much. Getting the speed limits to match roads accurately requires a lot to get it right and apparently whoever is writing the software or doing the work to put Garmin technology together isn't doing the work or doing it correctly.
As far as using a GPS to take me places, as others have mentioned, make sure you check it with a map before you start out!!
David from jax

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
i dont know , my garmin 61 hasnt got me lost yet. speedd listed match signs pretty closely. when i do repairs on some of our very "rural" roads, they dont even post the address of the house, much less the street signs. i think some of these nutters think the government cant find them if they dont post their address. but i can find them with the Garmin.

deserteagle71

Veteran Member
Tractor
Garmin issues updates to their automotive GPS units generally about 2x a year. If you do not update your GPS with the latest Garmin update then of course your information may be wrong. Also - it depends on how good and how timely the information is that is provided to Garmin for their updates.

Any GPS information needs to be taken with a grain of salt - use your head! There is a reservoir in our area that was built about 1972 that flooded a road that used to be there. So, nearly 50 years later there are GPS maps that still show that road...running through the reservoir. Good luck with that! I read occasional news reports of people driving into lakes while following their GPS and that's why. If I plug my address into Google Maps it centers on a location a good mile from where I actually live. Garbage in - garbage out applies.

In spite of all its faults, now that I've used GPS I'll never be without it. The good of the technology outweighs the bad.

OP
O

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
The truck GPS wants to take roads way out of the way, on routes I know that there is a better way. I watch the speed limit signs and laugh at the GPS because it is almost always wrong when on anything less than an Interstate, and even then it is suspect!
Any GPS information needs to be taken with a grain of salt - use your head! There is a reservoir in our area that was built about 1972 that flooded a road that used to be there. So, nearly 50 years later there are GPS maps that still show that road...running through the reservoir. Good luck with that! I read occasional news reports of people driving into lakes while following their GPS and that's why. If I plug my address into Google Maps it centers on a location a good mile from where I actually live. Garbage in - garbage out applies.

Ain't that the truth!! I bet I live a lot closer to "civilization" than you do, and Google maps is about a mile off on my house too (and not always in the same direction!). Likewise, I always give people directions to my house if they're not from the area...a GPS will take you a very long way around. I've had the same experience when I had one for work. Still, better than nothing if you're in an unfamiliar area.
I suppose the speed limit warnings are good too, though I don't tend to have a heavy foot.

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
I watch the speed limit signs and laugh at the GPS because it is almost always wrong when on anything less than an Interstate, and even then it is suspect! The phone is wrong alot also, but not as much. Getting the speed limits to match roads accurately requires a lot to get it right and apparently whoever is writing the software or doing the work to put Garmin technology together isn't doing the work or doing it correctly.

Mediocrity is pervasive in Garmin products. The sad thing is there isn稚 anything better.

My feature rich 61 DriveSmart crashes at about mile 280 going north on I-65 in Alabama. Later firmware and map updates fixed, but how did that bug get there in the first place. Not south. Only northbound.

Am guessing Garmin uses cheap engineering labor in India to develop firmware. My observation is that 田heap is the motivation of those using India engineering. Define specifications then the instant the product appears to meet spec then work ends. Nobody 登wns the design, no champions for making it as good as it could be.

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>

Google and GPS still shows the formerly-public road running through my property.

Yesterday a group on motorcycles reached a restaurant out in the sticks. Line was over 2 hours long. Cellphones didn't work. Garmin seemed to know where other restaurants were to be found. A BBQ 12 miles away sounded good. Got there and it was a Piggly Wiggly. We got on 4-lane road pointed home and stopped at the first Subway.

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
Garmin speed limit info is miles ahead of Google Maps. Miles.

Tesla had in 2014, then dropped, and has added back a feature using the vehicle cameras to read speed limit signs noting the current speed limits for inattentive drivers.

This seems like a huge opportunity to mine this data for sale to Garmin, Google, and others.

OP
O

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
Google and GPS still shows the formerly-public road running through my property.

All maps have errors in them. I wonder how many are "Easter eggs" to catch plagiarism.
Curiously, is the "road" on your property still legally a public road? Dunno about your part of the world but there are lots of old, no longer used roads/rights of way here in New England that have never been officially abandoned.

Tesla had in 2014, then dropped, and has added back a feature using the vehicle cameras to read speed limit signs noting the current speed limits for inattentive drivers.

This seems like a huge opportunity to mine this data for sale to Garmin, Google, and others.

I'm sure the .01% of vehicles on the road that are Teslas will make a huge contribution. :rolleyes:
Not sure I'd want a car that reported all that information on where I am to the mothership, even though it "anonymous" (yeah, right!). Does the vehicle owner get a cut of the sale price (or even get the option to opt in/out)? I think we all know the answer to that.

Last edited:

Grumpycat

Veteran Member
Tractor
<TBD>
All maps have errors in them. I wonder how many are "Easter eggs" to catch plagiarism.
Curiously, is the "road" on your property still legally a public road? Dunno about your part of the world but there are lots of old, no longer used roads/rights of way here in New England that have never been officially abandoned.

Survey filed with the deed says it is mine.

I'm sure the .01% of vehicles on the road that are Teslas will make a huge contribution. :rolleyes:
Not sure I'd want a car that reported all that information on where I am to the mothership, even though it "anonymous" (yeah, right!). Does the vehicle owner get a cut of the sale price (or even get the option to opt in/out)? I think we all know the answer to that.

If you have an Android then Google knows everywhere you go. You can't turn off the tracking without turning the phone off.

Apple probably has the same data but unlike Google does not resell your metadata. Not even anonymized metadata. But if you install Waze or Google Maps then its just the same with Google as Android.

OP
O

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs

In spite of all its faults, now that I've used GPS I'll never be without it. The good of the technology outweighs the bad.

My GPS came yesterday, and I took a drive with it just to get familiar with it. Even though I updated the maps first thing, they still are somewhat out of date...they indicated a couple of landmarks (a school and a mobile home park) that haven't been there for over 10 years. I also had it direct me home, and it still showed home to be a half mile away (and on the opposite side of the road) when I was at my driveway. Good thing I knew where I lived. :D

All in all though it seems a useful gadget, and is to be a lot more intuitive to use than the early 00s vintage Garmin I had at my last job. Locks on to the satellites a lot quicker too (and much faster than the hiking GPS I have).

If you have an Android then Google knows everywhere you go. You can't turn off the tracking without turning the phone off.

Apple probably has the same data but unlike Google does not resell your metadata. Not even anonymized metadata. But if you install Waze or Google Maps then its just the same with Google as Android.

I don't have a smartphone at all, only an $15 burner flip-phone that sits on a desk at home 99% of the time. I have no idea what OS or carrier it uses. My name and address are not associated with it (not that I plan to do anything nefarious, but I like to protect the illusion of privacy, even if it's just an illusion :censored:)
Not sure I trust Apple any more than Google though.

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota

The tractor trailer I drive reads signs, and tells me when I am over (however not often enough to keep me employed) The part that bugs me about it, is when I pass a minimum speed limit sign 40 mph on the interstate, it flashes a big warning on my dash saying I am running 65 in a 40! Technology is evolving!!
David from jax