Grand L 40s - HST Plus

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #31  
I think it is electronically linked - tap the brakes and it disengages vs the L3400 where you have to stomp on the pedal......

That's about all I know and probably doesn't answer your queation, but hey, now I've got 103 posts. :D

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #32  
Unfortunately I can't try the GST or the HST cause the closest dealer is on another island. Even though I am considering it.

My father was up in NC and he got to test drive the HST and he liked it. He said it was different but he could get used to it.

The dealers seem to promote the HST.

For my situation I need a machine that will not need major repairs because there is no bringing the tractor back to dealer. I was wondering if it would be odd to ask the dealer to do a serious test drive to make sure all things are running as they should before they ship it out? What do you guys think?

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus
hayden said:
I'm not following your description of how the cruise control works. On my B2910, the Cruise Control is just another way to depress the HST peddle. As I recall it's a mechanical linkage.

Does the Cruise Control work differently on the Grand L40s? You've refered to it as an "overdrive"?
The Grand L's "Cruise Control" works differently depending on whether Auto Throttle is ON or OFF.

When Auto Throttle is OFF, it works as you describe. IOW you can use the Cruise Control lever to set a roughly constant travel speed and take your foot off the HST pedal. Note the engine RPM is controlled by the hand throttle.

But with Auto Throttle ON, the Cruise Control lever acts more like an 'overdrive' lever. IOW you can NOT use the Cruise Control lever to set a constant speed and take your foot off the HST pedal. Because when you take your foot off the HST pedal, the engine speed drops to idle and the tractor slows to a crawl. But you CAN use the Cruise Control to lower the engine RPM needed to reach (or hold) a particular travel speed or increase the travel speed for a particular engine RPM.

For example, the way I have my Auto Throttle cable adjusted, I can be traveling at 4 mph in M at roughly 2,000 RPM. If I hold the HST pedal constant and push the Cruise Control lever all the way forward, the travel speed increases to just under 6 mph at the same RPM. Or I can back off the HST pedal and continue traveling at 4 mph. at roughly 1,500 RPM :)

Talon Dancer

ps I suspect that the Cruise Control lever actually does the same thing whether Auto Throttle is on or off. BUT the result is different when the HST pedal is controlling BOTH the HST and throttle.

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #34  
According to one of the dealers with the HST you can go as slow as you like.

For some of the implements I may need to go as slow as 1mph. The specs only show the GST going that slow.

Does any one know if the HST can really go that slow?

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #35  
THERE IS NO QUESTION.... YOU CAN GO SO SLOW YOU CAN'T MEASURE THE SPEED IN 3 DECIMALS OF MPH:D

That, IMHO, is a little understood feature of HST... you can go so slow, forward or reverse, that it literally moves quarter of inches per minute.

This gives you EXTREME precision in placing your implements. I have placed 2800 lb concrete blocks within 1/4 inch of a nail coming out of a fence post...intentionally... using hand signals to my buddy who was driving and taking my direction....The HST is EXTREMELY SAFE to use with somebody on the ground in front of the tractor precicely because it can move so slow... and no foot will ever slip off a clutch.

I think you get my point. Believe it, it's true:) And, you can do it at FULL POWER/RPM if you so desire.

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus
gilliganfarmer said:
According to one of the dealers with the HST you can go as slow as you like.

For some of the implements I may need to go as slow as 1mph. The specs only show the GST going that slow.

Does any one know if the HST can really go that slow?
The HST is truly infinitely variable speed. I regularly _creep_ forward/reverse at in./min. while pulling toward/away from a pallet. That is one of the best things about HST. Regardless of the engine RPM, when you lift off the HST pedal the tractor stops moving (unless it is on a slope). When you press the HST pedal it begins moving again in the direction you pressed the pedal at any speed from barely perceptible, to the full speed for that range and RPM.

And with the HST Plus and Auto Throttle ON, the engine RPM drops to idle when you lift off the HST pedal and speeds up when you press it again.

BTW I can do loader work all day and only press the clutch to start the tractor :eek:

Talon Dancer

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #37  
Thanks for both of your responces.

HST it is.

this is not a HST question but I am sure you guys can set me straight with this one.

In the specs when they say" lift capacity behind lift point " is that behind the 3-point?

I'm pretty sure it is but I just want to make sure cause we will need to move large round hay bales around.

Thank you

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #38  
Yes, that is discussing the 3ph lift capability. I'm not sure of which machines you are looking at or their rated lift capacity.

In general, a 50ish hp tractor will lift 1500 to 1800 round bales from the rear 3ph with no problem. Same can be lifted using hay spike/fork on FEL only and I mean ONLY if you have excellent counter weights on the rear. This can mean tire weights, weighted (liquid) tires, and/or load a bale on your 3ph first for a counter weight.

I very comfortably carry a bale in front and one in rear with my 50ish hp tractor. bale in front only requires extra counterbalance weight of about 200 lbs on rear 3ph plus filled tires plus extreme care and very flat ground with no holes in it.

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #39  
TalonDancer said:
The Grand L's "Cruise Control" works differently depending on whether Auto Throttle is ON or OFF.

When Auto Throttle is OFF, it works as you describe. IOW you can use the Cruise Control lever to set a roughly constant travel speed and take your foot off the HST pedal. Note the engine RPM is controlled by the hand throttle.

But with Auto Throttle ON, the Cruise Control lever acts more like an 'overdrive' lever. IOW you can NOT use the Cruise Control lever to set a constant speed and take your foot off the HST pedal. Because when you take your foot off the HST pedal, the engine speed drops to idle and the tractor slows to a crawl. But you CAN use the Cruise Control to lower the engine RPM needed to reach (or hold) a particular travel speed or increase the travel speed for a particular engine RPM.

For example, the way I have my Auto Throttle cable adjusted, I can be traveling at 4 mph in M at roughly 2,000 RPM. If I hold the HST pedal constant and push the Cruise Control lever all the way forward, the travel speed increases to just under 6 mph at the same RPM. Or I can back off the HST pedal and continue traveling at 4 mph. at roughly 1,500 RPM :)

Talon Dancer

ps I suspect that the Cruise Control lever actually does the same thing whether Auto Throttle is on or off. BUT the result is different when the HST pedal is controlling BOTH the HST and throttle.

OK, I think I get it. It sounds like the Cruise control ONLY works the HST control and NOT the throttle advance. With Auto Throttle Advance engaged, the HST setting is the greater of the Peddle or the Cruise Control lever, and the throttle setting depends ONLY on the peddle position. This is understandable behavior, but doesn't seem very useful. I'd guess the Cruise control is not intended for use with the Throttle Advance.

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #40  
hayden said:
I'd guess the Cruise control is not intended for use with the Throttle Advance.

Hayden I use the Stahl Guard, Auto Advance and Auto Hi/Low, for 100% of my loader work,pulling a trailer and relocating tractor. Dis engage Auto throttle and use cruise for continious RPM work ie mowing.

Didn't expect fuel economy, being my L5240 Cab is a turbo, but I average 2 hrs per gallon on my light work. Not sure on mower work yet.