Grand L 40s - HST Plus

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #51  
They've just about got it all covered!

It would also be useful if the Cruise Control & Auto Throttle were linked.

Can you tell me where you made the Auto Throttle adjustment so that the RPM don't go quite so high when I just barely step on the HST pedal?

Unnecessary to me to have Auto Throttle on, step on the pedal, RPM goes to over 2 grand & I'm going like 0.1 MPH!! :)

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus
They've just about got it all covered!

It would also be useful if the Cruise Control & Auto Throttle were linked.

Can you tell me where you made the Auto Throttle adjustment so that the RPM don't go quite so high when I just barely step on the HST pedal?

Unnecessary to me to have Auto Throttle on, step on the pedal, RPM goes to over 2 grand & I'm going like 0.1 MPH!! :)
IMO the way the Auto Throttle is set on delivery is why more people don't use it. What's the point of Auto Throttle if the engine is reving to 2K before the tractor moves anyway? OTOH this makes it to where you can actually use Auto Throttle with PTO implements without bogging down the tractor. But the hand throttle works better w/ PTO implements anyway. So I think adjusting the Auto Throttle down a quite bit makes Auto Throttle much more useful. I thought I had posted pictures of this adjustment. But I can't find it now :(

The adjustment is made on the right side of the engine (facing as you would drive it). There are two cables. One cable is connected to the hand throttle and the other is connected to the HST pedal when Auto Throttle is ON. You can find the cables and throttle pretty easily by just moving the hand throttle and seeing the cable move the throttle. Note: they both move the same throttle linkage but they can only pull it (i.e. increase engine rpm). So either one can 'override' the other one by pulling the throttle open further than the other cable. The throttle closes with a spring that holds tension against these cables.

The HST pedal cable is the lower one. You simply turn ON Auto Throttle and adjust the cable so it begins to move the throttle just after the HST starts to move the tractor. The exact setting is a personal preference. You may need to test it in a few different settings to get it where you like it.

Edit: Added pictures of the cables and how I have mine adjusted.

Talon Dancer

Attachments

• ThrottleCables.jpg
    ThrottleCables.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 143
  • ThrottleAdjustment.jpg
    ThrottleAdjustment.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
   / Grand L 40s - HST Plus #53  
But.... You can just leave Auto Throttle ON all the time, because the Hand Throttle overrides the throttle linkage to the HST pedal. So if you have a PTO implement engaged, just set your engine speed with the hand throttle and use the HST pedal to control ground speed. But when you are traveling with out the the PTO implement engaged, pull back of the hand throttle and use the HST pedal for both engine speed and ground speed.

That's exactly how I use it. Why bother disengaging the auto throttle when you just have to set the hand throttle at the desired revolution and override the auto throttle?
I do a little of everithing (loader work, field work with PTO attachments, hauling on the road and in the woods) and I always find the best ajustment for the work I do.
HST + provides great flexibility for all kind of applications.

Dan

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #54  
That's exactly how I use it. Why bother disengaging the auto throttle when you just have to set the hand throttle at the desired revolution and override the auto throttle?
I do a little of everithing (loader work, field work with PTO attachments, hauling on the road and in the woods) and I always find the best ajustment for the work I do.
HST + provides great flexibility for all kind of applications.

Dan

Have you also adjusted your Auto Throttle linkage to reduce RPM somewhat, like TalonDancer did to his?

I'm going to adjust mine first chance I get.

/ Grand L 40s - HST Plus #55  
Have you also adjusted your Auto Throttle linkage to reduce RPM somewhat, like TalonDancer did to his?
I'm going to adjust mine first chance I get.

I like the way my tractor behave.

It is 2 years old with 450 hours now.

I had an old (1969) John Deere before I bought my L3540, and I used to set the RPM around 1200 on it.

The first months I used my new Kubota, I always felt that the RPM was a bit high but I discovered that it work much better at higher RPM than my old JD.

So I'm use to it now and I don't mind the auto throttle pushing the RPM around 1800 to 2000.

I don't think I will change the factory setting.