Grapple for BX23S

/ Grapple for BX23S #1  

Tractor Dell

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23S
I posted this on Orange Tractor Talks, but thought I would post it here also, as some people may not look at both forums.

I have been thinking of getting a grapple for my BX23S. I have been comparing the Wicked grapple to the Landpride. My BX23S has the new SSQA attachment.

From looking at the EverythingAttachments website, it appears their 48 inch will not work with the new SSQA, and they recommend the 55 inch one. However, the 55 inch one weighs over 50 pounds more than the 48 inch one. As we all know, weight is an issue when it comes to the BX tractors. Since I have the added weight of the SSQA, will adding the 50 pounds of the 55 inch, really reduce my working use of it? I have already increased the hydraulics to 1950 PSI, so I can't do anything else there.

I have an inquiry into Messicks, asking about the Landpride 48 inch grapple and if that will work, or if I need a different size one. I emailed Messicks since I purchased the BX from them and I will probably have them install the 3rd function valve anyways.

Just looking for some opinions and experiences with people using the grapples. Thanks!

/ Grapple for BX23S #3  
I've been patient to not be first, but here I am...

I have been thinking of getting a grapple for my BX23S. My BX23S has the new SSQA attachment.

The 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple is absolutely the best grapple available for new BX tractors with universal quick attach. It takes lightweight grapple construction to the next level and maintains strength at the same time.

55bx23ses.jpg

I have been comparing the Wicked grapple to the Landpride.

So have we, along with several customers I've talked to. Rather than posting my opinion, I'll share their opinions on the subject.

These are direct quotes only referring to our Wicked Grapple Rake. Some are from the EA Channel Facebook Group, some are from TBN and some are from email, so I'll leave all anonymous.

"Makes a world of difference! I'm so glad I got this grapple for my Kubota BX23s.
It's been great at clearing the brush and prickers along my driveway and around the yard. This really adds a lot of versatility to my subcompact TLB.
Quality build and easy to quickly get good results for a new owner like myself."

"I can't testify to the ability of the wicked grapple but what I can say for sure is that the smooth grapple tines on my landpride suck for holding stuff. Constantly dropping logs and boulders because of it. Should have bought a wicked grapple but for now mine will have to work. All that said, as soon as it's financially feasible a wicked grapple will be on my list of things to order to replace the landpride."

"really wish i did not already have the Landpride version EA is much better"

"I wish dealers could substitute attachments on new sales, but obviously Kubota dealers only use Landpride"

"Having teeth on this grapple blows the Landpride grapple away ,not to mention the other improvements."

"Man I wish EA would have been building these things when I bought mine. They are somewhat setting a new standard for everyday use grapples."

"I have a smaller tractor, 26 HP Deere, this light Grapple has been ideal for removing brush and scouring out roots. Well put together."

"I put this on my JD 1025R and man, what a tool. It has taken the place of my bucket as the permanent fixture. I'm moving brush, rounds, logs and cleaning up in short order and with less back muscle. My best implement buy so far."

"Very excited just received my 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple today! Have to say that I am very impressed with the level of detail on the unit from the tabbed and bolted cylinder pins, grease fittings and to top it all off they even installed Parker hoses with swivels on the lines at the tee's. Top shelf."

"Love my 55" its amazing what I am able to pick up with it. The other day I was able to unload a bunch of 6x6 timbers 3 at a time came down from the top and clamped all 3 at once. also works great for logs roots and using the lid to back drag and pick up the small stuff is great. "

I have an inquiry into Messicks, asking about the Landpride 48 inch grapple and if that will work, or if I need a different size one.

The 48" grapple rake is too narrow for a universal quick attach because the cylinders are on either side of the mount. We barely squeezed it in between the cylinders on our 55". Land Pride squeezed theirs into a 54", but their cylinders are clocked differently, which extends them further behind the grapple for a less durable design.

the 55 inch one weighs over 50 pounds more than the 48 inch one.

Yes, the 55" is 209 pounds with the lower runners bolted in. Remove them and shave around 30 pounds if you want to. This narrows the weight gap between the 48" and 55".

Bolted in runners, you ask? It's all about versatility.
Yes, they serve as depth gauges in hard soil if you want to limit how far down the AR400 serrated tines dig in. If you're in nice soil or using it for an application where depth is preferred, simply take them off and bury the tines 8+ inches.
You'll be amazed at the BX's pushing ability because of the dozer like geometry and strong, skinny design of the tines.

Compare this to a Land Pride!

20170223_154214es.jpg

Just looking for some opinions and experiences with people using the grapples.

I hope the facts and opinions above will help you and others make an informed decision when choosing the perfect grapple for your small, but very capable machine!

Oh, and don't worry about how strong the Wicked is because it's Ted tested with our L6060. :thumbsup:
Travis

20170223_172121s.jpg

Last edited:
   / Grapple for BX23S #4  
I posted this on Orange Tractor Talks, but thought I would post it here also, as some people may not look at both forums.

I have been thinking of getting a grapple for my BX23S. I have been comparing the Wicked grapple to the Landpride. My BX23S has the new SSQA attachment.

From looking at the EverythingAttachments website, it appears their 48 inch will not work with the new SSQA, and they recommend the 55 inch one. However, the 55 inch one weighs over 50 pounds more than the 48 inch one. As we all know, weight is an issue when it comes to the BX tractors. Since I have the added weight of the SSQA, will adding the 50 pounds of the 55 inch, really reduce my working use of it? I have already increased the hydraulics to 1950 PSI, so I can't do anything else there.

I have an inquiry into Messicks, asking about the Landpride 48 inch grapple and if that will work, or if I need a different size one. I emailed Messicks since I purchased the BX from them and I will probably have them install the 3rd function valve anyways.

Just looking for some opinions and experiences with people using the grapples. Thanks!

Same tractor same dilemma......I ordered the landpride grapple because it was supposed to have been here last week. Still not here. Don't know what I am going to do. I have a friend who is an engineer and has all the CNC equipment and expertise/software to make absolutely anything....considering that. Red lobster (whoever owns it) came to him and asked that his company make a cheddar bay biscuit abnormal biscuit tosser....gets rid of the bad biscuits. He also has fixed a few excavator mulching heads and ended up just making some that were much better. He doesn't really do things like this but we buddies and I am going to take advantage of that LOL.

EA....ya'll still six weeks out?

/ Grapple for BX23S #5  
EA....ya'll still six weeks out?

That's what we've been telling people because the last thing we wanna do is make false promises. For what it's worth, the last one shipped was 4 1/2 weeks old.

Man, you should bite the bullet and get on the Wicked 55 list, which is currently 25 deep.
Travis

/ Grapple for BX23S
Thanks for all the information Travis. I looked up the LP 54 inch and it is just a bit shy of 200 pounds, so the weight seems to be a wash. Now I just need to see what their price is, and if I can combine it with the 3rd function valve at a savings, or if they are pricing separately. Hindsight is 20/20, and I wish I would have gotten it installed when I purchased the tractor! :)

Oh and Old Red, I just noticed the thread you made a little while ago, with this exact same question. Apparently my TBN search skills needs a lot of improvement. I swear I didn't see it before this! :(

Last edited:
   / Grapple for BX23S #7  
Thanks for all the information Travis. I looked up the LP 54 inch and it is just a bit shy of 200 pounds, so the weight seems to be a wash. Now I just need to see what their price is, and if I can combine it with the 3rd function valve at a savings, or if they are pricing separately. Hindsight is 20/20, and I wish I would have gotten it installed when I purchased the tractor! :)

No problem! If you can get the LP valve kit for less, I won't argue a bit, but I do not see why anyone would choose the LP over ours based on feedback, solid welds vs stitch welds, doubled up lid tines on either end, all pivot points greasable, stronger cylinder mounts, serrated tines....it goes on and on.

There are essentially no pics of the LP installed on Kubota tractors, even on their website or literature. Kinda funny?

We have tons of photos and even videos of the Wicked 55 so you know exactly what you're getting! Oh, and you can even get it in ORANGE!
Travis

20170314_073038s.jpg

/ Grapple for BX23S #9  
To the OP's question: I have the same loader as you and Old Red. As Travis mentioned, you can't get the SSQA in the 48" Landpride, you'd have to get their 54". I had the Landpride 48" on my BX2370, but it did not have SSQA, so when I traded to the BX2380, I also had to go one size up with the grapple.

Couple things to point out here. You may never notice the difference if you didn't already have a BX, but yes, the new SSQA plate on your loader is heavier than the old QA on the old loaders, and the grapple choices you can use are heavier than my old grapple. Yes, I can notice a difference. That said, the new grapple seems more smooth, responsive, and tight to me than the old one ever did. I really like it better overall. Will attach some pictures here for you to look at.

Not trying to talk you into or out of anything either way, but I will say this to you from my experience. First, I don't own and have never tried the EA grapple, however, I really like 2 or 3 things better about it just by the design. I really like the serration on the tines. Nice touch getting more grip. I believe they use the same A400 steel that Landpride uses so quality has to be high. I like how they put holes in the upper teeth to lighten it up, but didn't put them in the lower half. I really like what Travis calls the runners. And really not just for controlling the depth. I actually like the idea of sturdying the tines up out toward the end. I bent 2 tines on my old grapple. One probably more than 4 inches at the end. Another maybe a half inch. Haven't bent any on the new one yet, but I do know it can happen.

If Travis would just send me one of theirs to try out for a little while, I'd be glad to give a direct comparison testimonial for them. I'd even drive up there to pick it up so they wouldn't have to pay for freight...

WP_20170731_17_32_38_Pro.JPG

WP_20170805_13_15_52_Pro.JPG

WP_20170805_13_25_09_Pro.JPG

/ Grapple for BX23S #10  
My land pride grapple just came in today. Still waiting on 3rd function, but the grapple is in hand.