Grapple Overload - MX5800 Needs A Grapple

/ Grapple Overload - MX5800 Needs A Grapple #11  
Yea.....I have a wicked 55” with long tines on my utility tractor. I would have to say the long tines have the ability to grab or carry more. I don’t really have a need for the shorter root grapple types as I’m not uprooting many things. But whatever you choose, get an EA grapple!

/ Grapple Overload - MX5800 Needs A Grapple #12  
I am wondering if, for my application, do I want longer tines on the bottom? That way I can use them like a pallet fork to get underneath a log when they are piled up?

I have used both styles in different brands and for my use of picking up brush piles and trees the long tine wins out. With the long tine you are cradling more than crushing to hold.
With anything dry or rotten with a short tine I left more crushed and dropped debris behind where the long just carried it right away.
I also prefer a dual lid design. To me it held more secure with odd shaped load.

/ Grapple Overload - MX5800 Needs A Grapple #14  
I have a 50 year old Pecan orchard and constantly pick up small to large limbs from trees to move to burn piles. Also logs and whole tree trunks. Have been doing this for 40 years here on the family land. I have three tractors from 25 -65 HP and have used grapples and pallet fork grapples for many years. For my use I use the pallet fork grapples 95% of the time. They are easier to slide under a branch than a grapple and if you have a pile of branches/brush you can slide the forks along the ground, drive forward to roll or pile up the branches and then lower the grapple part to secure the load. I find the pallet fork grapple much more efficient and I can load more at one time over the regular type grapple.
B9C89F26-4ED3-46E0-95D3-8550063A139E.jpeg

/ Grapple Overload - MX5800 Needs A Grapple #15  
Something I see here all the time is pictures of full cage grapples being used for things that a much less expensive "thumb grapple" would do just as well...sure there are some tasks that might require a full grapple but a majority of the pictures of grapples depicted here on TBN are doing things a simple thumb on a loader bucket would easily accomplish..

I have a bucket Thumb on my other tractor. Believe me. it's no match for what this wicked can do
Also, I have bent the thumb several times. I have had brace the bucket up to handle the Thumb

/ Grapple Overload - MX5800 Needs A Grapple #16  
I have the Thumb grapple on my forks, very handygrapple1.jpg

/ Grapple Overload - MX5800 Needs A Grapple #17  
I have a long bottom grapple for my MX. It has the ability to carry much more of whatever.

If all you handle is logs and brush, i think you will be happy with either.

But sometimes I use mine more like a bucket. Carrying a bunch of firewood, chainsaws, more than one rock (that are large enough not to fall between the ribs), etc.

If you use a grapple much at all (and I do) there is no way I would constantly be wanting to take my hand off the joystick, find the rear remote lever, actuate grapple, them back to the loader joystick. That would get annoying real quick.

You need to decide on a 3rd function of a diverter. Both about the same cost, both equally simple to install, and both can be controlled with a simple button installed on the joystick so your hand never has to leave the control. Functionally they operate a bit differently, but in reality there is little difference for the average user and they BOTH preform very well

/ Grapple Overload - MX5800 Needs A Grapple #18  
I have a bucket Thumb on my other tractor. Believe me. it's no match for what this wicked can do
Also, I have bent the thumb several times. I have had brace the bucket up to handle the Thumb
Like I said...a thumb (especially on smaller machines) can do 90% of the things generally being done shown pictured here on TBN...
BTW...did you make your own thumb? could explain why it bent ?

/ Grapple Overload - MX5800 Needs A Grapple
I have the Thumb grapple on my forks, very handyView attachment 615273

I think this would work well for what I am doing.

I had 15 - 20 large trees come down last month in a storm, and I am looking to move them and burn them this winter.

I agree with LD1, I would get the 3rd function on the joystick.

/ Grapple Overload - MX5800 Needs A Grapple #20  
You can assemble your own 3rd function for under $500 and that's with a nice replacement joystick with integrated switches. There are threads from people detailing how they did it.
I'm still using a rear remote that's mounted to the fender close to the joystick. $1000 installed is not a bad price. The WR long kit is about $850.

For a similar use to the OP I got a 60" Wicked Root grapple (the long tine type) with dual lids. The short tines would be better for digging and for picking up single large logs. The long tines are better for brush and multiple logs at once. The EA grapple is a quality piece. I use mine more than the bucket or forks so it stays on most of the time.