Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing?

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
Probably going to go with stinger attachments grapple. They offer a 3”, 6”, and a 9” tine spacing. You guys with grapples what spacing is best. Do you find you tine too close or to far apart?

Tinhack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3910, John Deere 420C, Kubota G32XKS, IH 2606, Bad Boy Maverick-60"
Why are you buying it? How will you use it? That's the questions which will likely determine what's best for YOU.

OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
For me it will be used on a svl75. Ill use it my woods, or maybe on a construction site. First on order will be cleanup after a pond build.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I’d lean more towards the closer spacing. My wide space one looses more trash out the bottom than I like.

ns_in_tex

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 HSTC, International 2400, Hesston 1280,
I think mine are about 9", but we made a 12" plate which bolts on with 4 bolts, and we can pick up dirt. Leave it on 90% of the time, but can take off if wanting to pull roots. We like that we can push, level, dig, when the plate is on.

DL Meisen

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
If you have huge brush maybe 12 inch, if small stuff maybe 6 inch... A lot of small stuff falls through my 12 inch spacing.... Might have to modify it and add a bar in between existing to be really effective.... Yes these are DIY brush forks but same concept, don't think I would go any wider than 6 inches if I had to do it over.... 3 inch would hold even smaller stuff...

DSC02207.JPG

Last edited:

cglaser104

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1710, Cub Cadet 2206
I agree that it's really about purpose. I believe at one point EA was making a grapple where you could add bolt in tines to tighten the spacing if needed (Not sure if they still do). It really comes down to the level of detail your trying to clean up.

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
I have one with 5 inch spacing. If you pick up a pile with damp soil it will not sift.

The idea I could sift dirt with it was a bust. To do so I have to roll the grapple back and forth. Any loose debris escapes out of the top clamps.

JohnnyMX

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I bought a WR long and at the time the dealer failed to mention I had options. It comes with 8" spacing. I could move large piles of debris, sod, etc. but rocks fell through that would still be an issue for a tiller and it wasn't that good at separating things. Built a removable unit that drops the spacing to 3" and now it is useful for picking up firewood and sifting reasonably large rock from soil. If you are moving logs and boulders or short on lift capacity maybe go wider, if you want finer screening go shorter. 12" would be pretty useless to me.

Attachments

• rock-bucket.jpg
    rock-bucket.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

Midniteoyl

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7016H
Right now I have 12" spacing and lose a lot of the smaller stuff. Up here where its sandy soil and I'm scraping up a lot of brush, vines and limbs, 3" would be ideal. 6" would probably work down where you're at.